What are your backup careers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CHAINCHOMPER

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading all over this thread that less than 50% get into med school, so i'm sure that lots of people have backup plans. A doctor is my #1 career choice, hence why I am desperate to go to medical school. But, if I get rejected, i have other possible choices to consider

1) Dentist- I heard the standardized test for dental school is easier than the MCAT, they have good hours, and teeth are :cool:

2) Lawyer - Since they do not tell you what specific major or classes you have to be in, i don't have to worry about taking 2 extra years. I could study my *** off for the LSAT and give it a go! Law is a very interesting field IMO

3) Vet - I am a massive dog lover, and if there is some way I could specialize in dog care like doctors can specialize in fields, then that would be awesome!

HM- I got accountant as a second choice when I took this job test online. Although I might have to spend 3+ years, it's a definite last resort

So...what about you guys? What are your choices?

Members don't see this ad.

-Law school
-Pharmacy school
-Graduate program in public health
-Graduate program in aviation human factors

Members don't see this ad :)
1) grad school (science PhD) to community college professor.
2) grad school (education degree) to adult literacy teacher

what's weird is that i don't want to do academic medicine but i wouldn't mind doing #1 and #2 for the rest of my life.

if those two fail, i'd probably just go to paramedic school.

and if that fails, professional gambler?

I'll move out west, teach chemistry and be a snowboard instructor.

an mba if i could get into a top program, if not, then dental school??just thinking about it makes my head hurt really badly.

because i like teaching basic courses (ie "101" courses) to a small group of people. i like the idea of giving inidividualized attention. and i like teaching older students.

because i like teaching basic courses (ie "101" courses) to a small group of people. i like the idea of giving inidividualized attention. and i like teaching older students.

ugh..older students. they always seem to think they know more than professors, and often call preofessors out during lecture.
ucd white female professor: says something about africa in lecture
older black male student: what do you know about black people and africa
ucd white female professor: my dissertation was on african culture.
older black male student: that doesn't mean anything. (in a serious tone i might add).

he sat in the front row and snickered throughout the semester.

this happend alot when i was taking courses at the jc too.

you get that a lot with younger students too. :)

when i was younger, i was a pretty arrogant fool. though i would never call out my professor like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seconded. We don't have backup careers, we have "ideas to improve our application for next cycle". Speaking of next cycle, Vihsadas is going to dominate. :thumbup:

haha, not really "backup" as much as "what would you do if you couldn't become a doctor."

I'm giving myself 3 shots (including this cycle), but I am very dedicated to this. I really am not as interested in anything else. As an undergrad I studied advertising/marketing and that allowed me to experience both a creative and business oriented career. However, neither advertising nor marketing excite me nearly as much as, for instance, actin-myosin crossbridges. My uncle, who was really cheering me on and helping me out in this process, said to me, "Bill, the bottom line is if you want to be a doctor, you're going to be a doctor. If you want to go to medical school, you will go to medical school," and he's right. I will do everything in my power to increase the strength of my application and break down the walls that the system puts up if I am not accepted this year. The reason why I'm giving myself 3 tries is because I am alread 24 and I do want to start moving forward with my life... Still praying...

The reason why I'm giving myself 3 tries is because I am already 24 and I do want to start moving forward with my life

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm guessing you think that saying I'm 24 is ridiculous because 24 really is young, but in the scope of the time commitment that comes with medical school, it really isn't. 4 years of medical school makes me 28, if it's next year then I'm 29. If I pursue Emergency Medicine or Pediatrics then I'm established at 31 or 32. But, If I pursue surgery (which is what I am most interested in), then I'm 35 or 36 before I'm established. That's more than a decade of my life before I am comfortable and secure in my career. And, contrary to some in medicine I do want some semblance of a family, so I would like to start with my medical education as soon as possible. Is that so ridiculous??

I'm guessing you think that saying I'm 24 is ridiculous because 24 really is young, but in the scope of the time commitment that comes with medical school, it really isn't. 4 years of medical school makes me 28, if it's next year then I'm 29. If I pursue Emergency Medicine or Pediatrics then I'm established at 31 or 32. But, If I pursue surgery (which is what I am most interested in), then I'm 35 or 36 before I'm established. That's more than a decade of my life before I am comfortable and secure in my career. And, contrary to some in medicine I do want some semblance of a family, so I would like to start with my medical education as soon as possible. Is that so ridiculous??
My point is this: You're still just a kid. How about relaxing a little bit before you have a premature coronary? So what if you'll be *gasp* mid-30s before you're setting and established? It's not like there is a mandatory retirement age for physicians like there is for airline pilots. It's this white rabbit-esque attitude among premeds that causes me to lose what little respect I might hold for an otherwise intelligent and talented person, albeit likely a very inexperienced one.

The best sign of true maturity is when one realizes that nothing in this life is given, not even your next breath- let alone tomorrow- and begins to enjoy the path rather than solely focusing on the destination. In other words, chill the **** out please.

Thanks for the disparaging comments and the lack of respect, but I think my maturity is well documented in my forsight and your immaturity is displayed proudly with your laughing icons. You don't know my situation, so you can't possibly comment about my perspective on my future. I believe that I have a very realistic view about the road ahead and that will serve to prepare me for bumps in my path. And I don't know about you, but as of now I haven't been accepted, and I won't really enjoy this process until I do. How could you enjoy it? It's stressful, drawn out and expensive. I don't think that chasing the white rabbit to get into medical school is such a bad thing, because that white rabbit is my dream. Once I get into medical school, then I can stop and smell the roses, but until then, it's a race.

Reactions: 1 user
Anybody agree?

Reactions: 1 user
I've been reading all over this thread that less than 50% get into med school, so i'm sure that lots of people have backup plans. A doctor is my #1 career choice, hence why I am desperate to go to medical school. But, if I get rejected, i have other possible choices to consider

1) Dentist- I heard the standardized test for dental school is easier than the MCAT, they have good hours, and teeth are :cool:

2) Lawyer - Since they do not tell you what specific major or classes you have to be in, i don't have to worry about taking 2 extra years. I could study my *** off for the LSAT and give it a go! Law is a very interesting field IMO

3) Vet - I am a massive dog lover, and if there is some way I could specialize in dog care like doctors can specialize in fields, then that would be awesome!

HM- I got accountant as a second choice when I took this job test online. Although I might have to spend 3+ years, it's a definite last resort

So...what about you guys? What are your choices?

If an applicant couldn’t get into a single medical school its very unlikely they would get into a top law school, which would essentially make it non worthwhile going to law school anyway.

1) pharmd or clinical psych phd program
2) take over my dad's business, if he is still running it by the time i get rejected haha

1) throat slasher

If nothing in medicine works out then
1) professional racecar driver
2) Professional exotic dancer.

Like others, I think Law would also be interesting. I'd go get a MS in Medical Sciences or Pharmacology or something before giving med school another shot, but if it still doesn't pan out, Law would be cool. I'm thinking something in patent law or malpractice that would utilize my science background.

CIA Operative (in France, Italy, or Spain, of course!)

I don't think that chasing the white rabbit to get into medical school is such a bad thing, because that white rabbit is my dream. Once I get into medical school, then I can stop and smell the roses, but until then, it's a race.

I was kinda on your side til I read this. Just beware, because the race to get into medical school might quickly turn into the race to do well on Step 1, and then the race to get your coveted surgical residency spot and then....you get the idea. I don't fault you for wanting to get through to the other end where you will have a paid career to support a family. This is clearly your dream as evidenced by your dedication and planning. But don't forget to live your life in the meanwhile and take joy in other non-medical pursuits. Perhaps you already do, I just wanted to comment on the "race to --" mentality excluding the chance to smell the roses. I mean, Valentine's Day IS tomorrow!

Oh yeah, my backup would be physician assistant.

Research trial guinea pig.

Thanks for the disparaging comments and the lack of respect, but I think my maturity is well documented in my forsight and your immaturity is displayed proudly with your laughing icons. You don't know my situation, so you can't possibly comment about my perspective on my future. I believe that I have a very realistic view about the road ahead and that will serve to prepare me for bumps in my path. And I don't know about you, but as of now I haven't been accepted, and I won't really enjoy this process until I do. How could you enjoy it? It's stressful, drawn out and expensive. I don't think that chasing the white rabbit to get into medical school is such a bad thing, because that white rabbit is my dream. Once I get into medical school, then I can stop and smell the roses, but until then, it's a race.
I'm assuming ur a guy...so what does that mean for all the "older" women in the forum? That we can't have a family unless we started our MD by 28? If you are a guy, you also don't have to worry about taking time of to carry a baby/give birth. I totally felt the way you do when I was your age...but I'm still not in med school, and I'm still not willing to give up. After looking over my app at the time I saw there were some things that needed to be done in the interim, so here I am at 29 (30 in Nov), hoping that I get in for fall 08, but if not, then SMP here I come and here's to fall 09. If you really want it and it's your dream, you can't give up on it quite that easily. At least I can't give up on my dream...but maybe I'm just too stubborn/confident in myself that I can still have a family and a life, and the career that I want. Either way, G'luck with your 3yr plan.

TNT color commentator opposite one sir charles barkley

9th grade teacher

Don't really care what I'd teach, but I'd prefer to do a math course with all types of students.

SDN Admin. Bam!

Grad school.

i would go into hedge funds. and i only knew this once i was accepted. funny right?

If an applicant couldn’t get into a single medical school its very unlikely they would get into a top law school, which would essentially make it non worthwhile going to law school anyway.

i disagree with you 100%. for starters, who said anything about top law schools? law school is a "backup" for me as well because i find law very interesting. if you look at the requirements for most law schools you will find this: "take the LSAT and get an undergrad degree" period. now compare that to pre reqs for med school and you will think your in heaven. most law schools require only 2 lor's. now if you plan on going to harvard law school, thats another story.

Law would be cool. I'm thinking something in patent law or malpractice that would utilize my science background.

Did you just say malpractice ?? I hope your joking. The legalities involved in health care are one of the primary reasons that it is so ****ed up in our country. So, on one hand you're saying that you want to become a doctor, but if you don't, you want to make it hard for other doctors to run a good practice ? Please clarify. As for me:

1) Musical engineering/production
2) PhD/MBA - consultant/clinical trials etc.

Astronaut

Could you tell? :D

Did you just say malpractice ?? I hope your joking. The legalities involved in health care are one of the primary reasons that it is so ****ed up in our country. So, on one hand you're saying that you want to become a doctor, but if you don't, you want to make it hard for other doctors to run a good practice ? Please clarify. As for me:

1) Musical engineering/production
2) PhD/MBA - consultant/clinical trials etc.

....I'm leaning a little more towards malpractice defense.

TNT color commentator opposite one sir charles barkley

I saw Charles Barkley at the airport on Sunday night. He's not as tall as I thought he would be, but his feet look like snowmobiles.