What are your best strategies for time management? What do I need to focus on? (Read below)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bchristyb18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
At the moment, what I do is focus my classes and study time in the morning and leave the rest of the day to activities such as attend my research lab, volunteer at a midwifery, shadow at a free clinic near the border of MX, work as a pharmacy technician, and manage a health organization. (I also need to start studying for MCAT).

Sometimes I feel like there are not enough hours in a day. I quit going out on weekends and I see my bf once a week. Am I juggling too much at once? Last thing I want is to be a jack of all trades, and master of none.

To be successful during medical admissions what should I focus on?

And what are some time management and studying strategies that have worked for you?

Members don't see this ad.

At the moment, what I do is focus my classes and study time in the morning and leave the rest of the day to activities such as attend my research lab, volunteer at a midwifery, shadow at a free clinic near the border of MX, work as a pharmacy technician, and manage a health organization. (I also need to start studying for MCAT).

I think I found the issue.

Reactions: 2 users
Adderall. Oh and Benadryl as a sleep aid.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Stop something. Start studying... How many hours do you have for those activities? Have you been doing them for a while? Are you just doing them for the hours or do you genuinely enjoy all of them?

I think you're juggling a lot and if you plan to start studying for the MCAT as well, you'll need to be devoting a large chunk of your time to it. I recommend cutting those activities down. As to which ones depends on what you enjoy most and what hours you're lacking in your EC's.

How are your grades? There are plenty of sacrifices you will likely make but grades is not one of them. Like it or not, grades and MCAT are the most important and you need to score the best scores possible there. Everything else, while important, should not be prioritized ahead of either of those two.

Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're juggling WAY too many EC's!

Cut out 2 or 3 of them and just focus on a couple you enjoy the most. ADCOMs care more about your passion for ECs (and they will ask about them) versus how many you can cram on an application. Just like everything else in life --- QUALITY over quantity.

GPA and MCAT are far and away the two most important criteria for getting into med school. Dont let those two suffer just because you want to fluff up your EC list.

Reactions: 1 users
What on earth are you doing with a midwife? You might as well shadow a witch.

In my opinion your assessment is correct: there are not enough hours in the day for this. Of the things you are doing, research, shadowing, and health organization are relevant. The rest can be cut out.

Keep in mind that none of these things will matter if you have a subpar MCAT score or get bad grades. You will not get a pass on academic performance from Adcoms because you made poor time management decisions or neglected your coursework.

Also, personal life and time to live your life outside of premed is absolutely vital to your mental health and future success. Be your own person and do the things that you enjoy that aren’t related to this goal.

Agree with what’s stated above. I did the same type of thing and in retrospect I should have just focused more on my classes and dropped some of the volunteer stuff.
Getting B’s and a low mcat score with tons of EC’s looks way worse than A’s and a good mcat and only a few ec’s.

Wolf%2Bof%2BWall%2BStreet%2Bhooked%2Bon%2Bdrugs.png