What are your clinical requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rob2005

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious to see how other schools compare. I think we are in the middle somewhere...
University of Minnesota:

3 RPD's
2 sets of complete dentures
~15 PFM's
9 gold crowns (they have us wax and cast them ourselves :( )
6 root canals-3 multi, 3 single
Operative-133 appts
Perio:10 scaling/root planings
Etc, etc

Members don't see this ad.

Rob2005 said:
Just curious to see how other schools compare. I think we are in the middle somewhere...
University of Minnesota:

3 RPD's
2 sets of complete dentures
~15 PFM's
9 gold crowns (they have us wax and cast them ourselves :( )
6 root canals-3 multi, 3 single
Operative-133 appts
Perio:10 scaling/root planings
Etc, etc
(At Pitt)
3 U/ & L complete cases
3 RPDs
13 crowns
8 RCT
14 quads Sc/Rp
10 Prophy
5 perio evals
3 re-evals
90 restorations
20 oral surgery Patients (based on pts, not teeth)
Then there is pedo, urgent care, implants, and other rotations which have requirements but are difficult to explain.

tjb

I've heard some schools (like UT Houston) do it based on "competency" rather than number of procedures of each type performed. So it could take one person 3 times and another person a zillion times to pass the same thing -- talk about subjective assessments!

Members don't see this ad :)
trypmo said:
I've hear some schools (like UT Houston) do it based on "competency" rather than number of procedures of each type performed. So it could take one person 3 times and another person a zillion times to pass the same thing -- talk about subjective assessments!

hmm competency test, don't know whether or not I like that.

HD

I totally agree with some sort of competency. In practice would you rather have someone who has done 300 crappy implants with a high rate of failure or someone who has done 30 beautiful implants without a single failure. Somepeople grasp things better than others so it should be shown in school. All of the didactic classes are based on competency so why shouldn't the lab be.

Houston
12 units removable
26 crowns
6 complete cases of perio, reevals, maint
1 perio surg
60+ extractions
220 units of operative (divided up into class 2's etcc...)
Pedo (alot)
Endo (3 molars, 3 anterior teeth)
Plus we must do competencies in all aspects of dentistry (25+ competencies)

tjb said:
(At Pitt)
3 U/ & L complete cases
3 RPDs
13 crowns
8 RCT
14 quads Sc/Rp
10 Prophy
5 perio evals
3 re-evals
90 restorations
20 oral surgery Patients (based on pts, not teeth)
Then there is pedo, urgent care, implants, and other rotations which have requirements but are difficult to explain.

tjb

At my school we have a competency exam for most procedures but still have a minimum number of procedures that have to be done.

3 complete upper and lower dentures
3 RPDS - one must be distal extension mandibular
120 directs
25 single units prosth
3, 3+ unit FPDs
a crazy amount of non-surg perio (can't remember the exact number)
7 perio surg. assists
6 perio surgeries (3 of which must be flaps)
1 minor tooth movement (usually a molar uprighting)

sorry, can't remember oral surgery, pedo, or endo off the top of my head

Univ of Detroit-Mercy
oral surgery - 1 single and 1 multiple tooth ext competency (no numerical req but your grade is also factored by how much you do)

Perio - 4 of each; surgery assist/observe/perform, 1, 2 and 4 wk post ops. 8 quads of S/RP, 2 reevals, 4 complete cases of gen periodontits from start to finish and 2 competencies each in diagnosis/tx planning, S/RP, and reevals

Pedo - 2 tx planning competencies, 1 prophy/OHI competency, 2 restorative competencies on primary teeth, u also have to do 2 competencies on typodonts, some diagnosis/space maint projects and min 100 CPUs (clinical proficiency units; MOD = 3CPUs)

Ortho- just rotations

Endo- 5 canals and 1 competency canal, also 1 typodont competency

Restorative - 200 CPUs, caries removal, 2 class II (amalgam), 2 class III/IV, and one of either CIII/IV/II competencies (these simulate the NERB exams)

Oral diagnosis - 20 initial exams and tx planning, there are also some path and tx planning exams on simulated pts

Radiology - 10 FMS xrays and pans, 2 of which are competencies

Prosth - 12 crowns, 9 units of definitive removable (CD or RPDs), 2 denture delivery competencies and 3 FPD typodont competencies (mock NERB)

there's other little things here and there butthats the bulk!i would say there are ussually about 10% of the class not done with requirements by graduation, but they ussually finish within a month or so.
we are pushing for a completety competency based system, but this probably wont happen for a while

as far as lab work, we do set our teeth but after the first few cases or so, you can have the lab do it for you, depending on the case (and instructor of course!)
a little steeper than most schools, and we hate it while we're in it, but i guess it builds expertise and mostly confidence. one are we definitely lack in is implants. hardly any one sees or gets to do one.

one are we definitely lack in is implants. hardly any one sees or gets to do one

Wow, our school is the opposite. We have trouble meeting our FPD requirements because the prosth faculty pushes implants so hard. The consensus seems to be that unless the two abutments already need crowns an implant is the standard of care.

trypmo said:
I've heard some schools (like UT Houston) do it based on "competency" rather than number of procedures of each type performed. So it could take one person 3 times and another person a zillion times to pass the same thing -- talk about subjective assessments!

Pacific is competency based too, or so they say. :rolleyes: Just try to get to the end of clinic without a whole bunch of everything done and see what happens....

They say we are supposed to finish all of our patients' treatment plans. Nowhere is it written exactly how many of each procedure we must do...however, at the end of the year, you are expected to have the following to graduate:

oral diagnosis of all patients assigned to you, screening rotation
all operative procedures in your assigned group of patients (approx. 100?)
fixed-45 crowns (that includes FPDs-each unit counts as a crown)
endo-16 canals, 2 grad assists
pedo-4 patients plus several rotations
perio-6 cases, Type II or III, all necessary prophies
removable-9 units:
RPD= 1 unit, single complete denture=.5 unit, reline=.5 unit, immediate denture=1 unit
OMS -at least 100 extractions, 6 preprosthetic cases (alveoloplasty, tori removal, frenectomy), 5 nitrous cases
Ortho -rotations
Radiology -rotations
Community Service -2 community service credits, week-long outside sealant program

These are minimums and will only get you a C in clinic...

forgot to add that we have to do all of our lab work including setting teeth. the only thing we send to the lab is porcelain. there are also about 10% of us who will not finish our requirements by graduation.

savinteeth said:
They say we are supposed to finish all of our patients' treatment plans. Nowhere is it written exactly how many of each procedure we must do...however, at the end of the year, you are expected to have the following to graduate:

oral diagnosis of all patients assigned to you, screening rotation
all operative procedures in your assigned group of patients (approx. 100?)
fixed-45 crowns (that includes FPDs-each unit counts as a crown)
endo-16 canals, 2 grad assists
pedo-4 patients plus several rotations
perio-6 cases, Type II or III, all necessary prophies
removable-9 units:
RPD= 1 unit, single complete denture=.5 unit, reline=.5 unit, immediate denture=1 unit
OMS -at least 100 extractions, 6 preprosthetic cases (alveoloplasty, tori removal, frenectomy), 5 nitrous cases
Ortho -rotations
Radiology -rotations
Community Service -2 community service credits, week-long outside sealant program

These are minimums and will only get you a C in clinic...