What are your elite 8 schools & why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pressforward

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello :cool:

My elite 8 are: in this order...

1.VCU = in home state/ excellent Endodontics program

2.HOWARD = cares for minority prospects, great area! accepts lower Science GPA's and DATS

3.LOUISVILLE = my Dentist is associated w/ the admin panel woohoo!:laugh:

4.UMDNJ = cares for minority prospects

5.WVU = low tuition, excellent general practice residency

6.TEMPLE = lots of seats available each cycle

7.UNC = wild card! its where michael Jordan went to school...woohoo!

8.University of texas -Houston = wild card (low out of state tuition)

Members don't see this ad.

1. UCLA : The Best school in nation IMO. 100 championships. :thumbup: 30 mins from home (1hr in traffic :D) Fiancee goes here.

2. Harvard : one of the best schools in the world. Love NE Patriots.

3. UCSF : great school, nice location, cheap tuition, etc.

4. Columbia : great school, nice location, etc.

5. Penn : great school, etc.

6. UoP : great school, nice location, 3 yrs.

7. Michigan : great school, etc.

8. USC : 40 mins from home.

Hello :cool:

My elite 8 are: in this order...

1.VCU = in home state/ excellent Endodontics program

2.HOWARD = cares for minority prospects, great area! accepts lower Science GPA's and DATS

3.LOUISVILLE = my Dentist is associated w/ the admin panel woohoo!:laugh:

4.UMDNJ = cares for minority prospects

5.WVU = low tuition, excellent general practice residency

6.TEMPLE = lots of seats available each cycle

7.UNC = wild card! its where michael Jordan went to school...woohoo!

8.University of texas -Houston = wild card (low out of state tuition)

nice to see UTDB finally get some love on SDN! :thumbup::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
How well would you rank the University of Detroit Mercy's Dental school?

Chris

Tufts---->They really work you over.
Buffalo---->Acknowledged as one of the best in the nation

Face it Blank, VCU > UB... and I'm from Buffalo... You are moving to a great city though with a pretty darn good dental school.

What's the matter you got rejected by UB?:D
I might add that I was recommended to UB by several dental educators.

What's the matter you got rejected by UB?:D
I might add that I was recommended to UB by several dental educators.

LOL... I'm just kidding you anyway... No, I went to grad school at VCU, so when I was accepted here Nov 31, I pulled all my other apps. My husband lived in VA prior to marriage. UB is ok... VCU is just BETTER ;)

I'm glad I'm getting the heck out of boston with all the traffic and maniacal drivers. :thumbdown: Buffalo is a breath of fresh air.

I'm glad I'm getting the heck out of boston with all the traffic and maniacal drivers. :thumbdown: Buffalo is a breath of fresh air.

Longest traffic jam you will find in buffalo = 10 minutes and most of the time there are no traffic jams...just a steady stream of fast moving cars. Warning though... Buffalonians REALLY know how to drive in any weather including 3 feet of snow... being close to the ocean, while I know Boston gets snow (but buffalo REALLY gets SNOW)... well, you need to learn to keep up

Longest traffic jam you will find in buffalo = 10 minutes and most of the time there are no traffic jams...just a steady stream of fast moving cars. Warning though... Buffalonians REALLY know how to drive in any weather including 3 feet of snow... being close to the ocean, while I know Boston gets snow (but buffalo REALLY gets SNOW)... well, you need to learn to keep up

Glad to hear that. I'm kinda of sick of all this snow thing. That's why I am going to stay close to the big roads(the city will certainly be all over those clearing and salting those roads) and close to the campus.

Less traffic that sure beats NYU, Columbia, BU, Tufts, and Harvard. :thumbup:

if youre looking for a school that favors minorities and lower stats apply to meharry

Members don't see this ad :)
"Elite" schools? I guess it's up to each person's perception. As for me, all Texas schools are the best plus UCSF. Why? In my judgement, a DDS is a DDS doesn't matter where you earn it. So, with that in mind Texas schools have one of the lowest tuition rate (11k for San Antonio and Houston, about 16k for Baylor) if not the lowest, in the country! That also puts UCSF in the category. Besides that, the cost of living in Texas is very low. I don't think any other school's tuition and cost of living even come near to Texas schools.

"Elite" schools? I guess it's up to each person's perception. As for me, all Texas schools are the best plus UCSF. Why? In my judgement, a DDS is a DDS doesn't matter where you earn it. So, with that in mind Texas schools have one of the lowest tuition rate (11k for San Antonio and Houston, about 16k for Baylor) if not the lowest, in the country! That also puts UCSF in the category. Besides that, the cost of living in Texas is very low. I don't think any other school's tuition and cost of living even come near to Texas schools.

What about VCU? Just kidding. I'll get off the VCU kick in this thread ;)

Well I've had about 3 or 4 dental professors single out Buffalo as being a particularly good school. One even went as far as saying that the two best schools in the US are Texas and Buffalo.

Well I've had about 3 or 4 dental professors single out Buffalo as being a particularly good school. One even went as far as saying that the two best schools in the US are Texas and Buffalo.

And VCU... OK, so I lied in my previous post. Sue me :rolleyes:

No, Minnesotians know how to drive in snow.

No, Minnesotians know how to drive in snow.

Ok, you may be able to beat me in a lot of areas, but my driving experience in the snow cannot be matched by anyone from MN. Here is my proof :p

Where is any city in MN? Wow, this is SO not something to brag about ;)

Snowiest Cities in America:

1. Blue Canyon, Calif. 240.3
2. Marquette, Mich. 141.0
3. Sault Ste. Marie, Mich. 117.4
4. Syracuse, N.Y. 115.6
5. Caribou, Maine 111.6
6. Mount Shasta, Calif. 104.9
7. Lander, Wyo. 100.4
8. Flagstaff, Ariz. 100.3
9. Sexton Summit, Ore 97.8
10. Muskegon, Mich 96.1
11. Buffalo 93.6
12. Rochester, NY 92.3
13. Erie, Pa 88.8

*Valdez, Alaska 326.0

One even went as far as saying that the two best schools in the US are Texas and Buffalo.

World's full of idiots. Everybodie knos teh best skool's in San Francisco.

Ok, you may be able to beat me in a lot of areas, but my driving experience in the snow cannot be matched by anyone from MN. Here is my proof :p

Where is any city in MN? Wow, this is SO not something to brag about ;)

Snowiest Cities in America:

1. Blue Canyon, Calif. 240.3
2. Marquette, Mich. 141.0
3. Sault Ste. Marie, Mich. 117.4
4. Syracuse, N.Y. 115.6
5. Caribou, Maine 111.6
6. Mount Shasta, Calif. 104.9
7. Lander, Wyo. 100.4
8. Flagstaff, Ariz. 100.3
9. Sexton Summit, Ore 97.8
10. Muskegon, Mich 96.1
11. Buffalo 93.6
12. Rochester, NY 92.3
13. Erie, Pa 88.8

*Valdez, Alaska 326.0

Bostonians know how to drive in traffic jams. :scared:

World's full of idiots. Everybodie knos teh best skool's in San Francisco.

Okay, you're calling a postgrad prothodontics professor an idiot? :wow:

Talk about having an ego. :thumbdown:rolleyes:

Bostonians know how to drive in traffic jams. :scared:

Blankguy, I have to admit, you have me beat there. Congratulations. Buffalonians are infamous tailgaters and I will admit, while we can drive through snow, sleet, rain, ice, typhoons, hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration), we can not... I repeat CANNOT drive in TRAFFIC! (unless we are coming back from a Bills game bc cars DO NOT MOVE)

Okay, you're calling a postgrad prothodontics professor an idiot? :wow:

Talk about having an ego. :thumbdown:rolleyes:

You're very, very bad at understanding what is said, explicit or implied, and you are very quick to snap. Geez. Notice the irony I purposely embedded in that statement.

i think you guys/gals need to take a trip down to ATL before you start talk about driving in traffic. sure, we don't have much snow (well, no snow in fact) but traffic is something we know VERY well... (ok, you people from LA, i'll give you some slack, i know you have it pretty bad too haha)

later guys!!

I believe UCLA is the best followed by UCSF

VCU - in state

NYU - great school, great city

USC - sunshine

Michigan - great school, always loved the navy and yellow since the days of the fab 5

UoP - 3 year program

Maryland - great school

UB - great city, great school

UNLV - Vagas Baby!

i think you guys/gals need to take a trip down to ATL before you start talk about driving in traffic. sure, we don't have much snow (well, no snow in fact) but traffic is something we know VERY well... (ok, you people from LA, i'll give you some slack, i know you have it pretty bad too haha)

later guys!!

Amen. I believe Atlanta was recently ranked as having the worst commute, even ahead of LA. A 15 min drive to school without traffic on a Sunday morning would take me about 1 hour in normal weekday morning rush hour. I've moved to Boston for college and driving is pretty bad up here too, but I've yet to see anything that rivals the nastiness of Atlanta traffic.

Sugar,

VCU is my no. 1. choice. Please tell me about how your interview day process was there from arrival to exit. :)

Are you talking about UoP? :D

;)

I'll include them into the mix. The fellas there seem like cool dudes. I havn't met any of their ladies yet, so I'll find out later if they got somethin' goin' on. I'm sure the UCSF and UoP crew'll get together eventually. I'll fill y'all in if they're anywhere near as cool as us.

Last edited:
Sugar,

VCU is my no. 1. choice. Please tell me about how your interview day process was there from arrival to exit. :)

Press,

You are testing my memory here (it was Oct 23, 2006) but this is how I remember it at least:

1.Arrived at 7:30 am, went up to the 3rd floor of the dental school where we were scheduled to meet, led into a conference room with 5 other people who were interviewing.

2. At 8am, I wrote my essay for 30 mins on an ethical question. Mine was what would I do if I saw my best friends medical files that said she was pregnant, but she hadn't told me about it.

3. Then at 8:30, I met with my first interviewer (Dr. Koertge) who is awesome. We went to his office and just talked about grades, goals, but mostly the questions I had.

4. 9:15am ...Then I went back to the conference room and was shown to Dr. Svirsky's office (my 2nd interviewer) who was also very cool and funny. Both of my interviews were more informative and rather laid back in comparison to what I was expecting.

10am After this, we had a discussion about the financial aspect of dental school and management of our money before

10:30am heading to clinic to assist D-3s with their patients for an hour and a half.

12:00pm we went to lunch with D-4 guides (as a group)

1:00pm we were given a tour of the school

2:30pm we met back at the conference room and listened to Dr. Healy's talk about the program and VCU and the D.5 program and acceptance rates and how competitive the acceptance would be for that year since GPAs of applicants were rising and there was more interest in the field etc.

I believe about 4PM, maybe a bit earlier, we got our parking passes stamped so we didn't have to pay the $6 and headed home.

Hope that helped ;)

Blankguy, I have to admit, you have me beat there. Congratulations. Buffalonians are infamous tailgaters and I will admit, while we can drive through snow, sleet, rain, ice, typhoons, hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration), we can not... I repeat CANNOT drive in TRAFFIC! (unless we are coming back from a Bills game bc cars DO NOT MOVE)

I grew up in Buffalo and I'm an awesome snow driver.
I now live in LA and am an awesome driver in traffic.

So this must mean I'm the best driver in the world.

VCU - in state

NYU - great school, great city

USC - sunshine

Michigan - great school, always loved the navy and yellow since the days of the fab 5

UoP - 3 year program

Maryland - great school

UB - great city, great school

UNLV - Vagas Baby!

Finally some NYU love!! :love:

My top choices were any school in LA or NYC - my husband can only work in those 2 cities. Damn entertainment industry....

SugarNaCl - thanks for the play by play on your interviewing experience. Hopefully we will all have similar stories to share shortly.

For once I completely agree with you. The best school is in San Francisco. On Webster and Sacramento last time I checked.

Psh. Hush. Are you also calling the postgrad prothodontics professor an idiot? Talk about ego!

Last edited:
Psh. Hush. Are you also calling the postgrad prothodontics professor an idiot? Talk about ego!

Rubbing it on me. :thumbdown:

I don't really care about UCSF since I won't be going there, but I respect it since I read that it gets tons of research funding. In fact it may get the most of any dental school.

UCSF's on Parnassus, but University of the Pacific...isn't that a school in the Carribbean somewhere?

UCSF's on Parnassus, but University of the Pacific...isn't that a school in the Carribbean somewhere?

America_Caribbean.jpg

Does that mean it's in the Atlantic Ocean? *looking dumb*

Status
Not open for further replies.