What are your favorite aspects of pharmacy? What do you hate about pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

right now I'm a high school senior. I hope to get accepted into the two pharmacy schools I applied to. Yes, I know I am putting too many eggs in a small basket. I realized too late that this is what I wanted to do. I love chemistry but I doubt I can handle what it takes to get a PhD and a job with chemistry. Pharmacy has always had a special place in my heart. I've always wanted to be respected and involved in people's lives. I know many people see pharmacists as people who count pills but I am sure there are many that see past it. I think I may want to do a different type of pharmacy, not retail. I want to help people. I am not very social on a personal level because I never know what to say. I think pharmacy can save me from being completely socially inept. I can talk to people about what classes I am taking, explain how to solve problems in mathematics and science, what I'm planning on doing after high school, talk one-on-one with people about my life and their life and things like "hey, what's up?" but only if someone else starts up the conversation first. My social problems are, I can't think on the spot for games like Taboo. I can't give a speech to a class. And I have had a lack of social communication because I am not interested in anything besides science-fiction, the sciences, and books. Everyone in my school only talks about sports and music, stuff I am completely oblivious about.

I'm not afraid to say what I feel is right or if I know I am right. I feel that I would make a fine pharmacist but I'm looking for the right branch of pharmacy. I am honest, I have high moral standards, and I think that is what pharmacy is based on. Being analytical and noticing mistakes in drugs, being honest with what drugs people should be given.

I want to learn about as much as I can. I want to learn about the human body and how it breaks down chemicals. I want to learn about reactions. Chemistry is my favorite science.
That's why I feel pharmacy is right for me.

Why are you going for pharmacy, why do you enjoy it, and what do you dislike about it?

Members don't see this ad.

Favorite-lack of physical patient contact (unlike MD and DDS), can choose to have NO patient contact if I desire (mail order, nuclear, some hospital positions, work from home jobs etc.), get paid fairly well, indoor job.

Worst-lack of jobs now, lack of flexibility, having to relocate to find a job, some jobs require patient contact which sucks.

Favorite-lack of physical patient contact (unlike MD and DDS), can choose to have NO patient contact if I desire (mail order, nuclear, some hospital positions, work from home jobs etc.), get paid fairly well, indoor job.
These jobs you mention seem pretty hard to get though, no?

Pretty much the main reason I'm considering pharmacy is for lack of patient contact. I hate people.

Members don't see this ad :)
These jobs you mention seem pretty hard to get though, no?

Pretty much the main reason I'm considering pharmacy is for lack of patient contact. I hate people.

I think ALL pharmacy jobs are hard to get now. The market is very saturated. I think work from home jobs would be the hardest to get. No one likes to deal with people...that's why retail paids the most b/c it is pure torture. (the only people that will disagree with me are pre-pharmers that never had a job in their lives. LOL...)

I am sure that I will NOT go for retail. I mean comon, it seems so boring. My parents got me interested in pharmacy and they think it's all retail. Haaha, I doubt many people know about the different types of pharmacists.

I think ALL pharmacy jobs are hard to get now. The market is very saturated. I think work from home jobs would be the hardest to get. No one likes to deal with people...that's why retail paids the most b/c it is pure torture. (the only people that will disagree with me are pre-pharmers that never had a job in their lives. LOL...)

ah, alright. forget pharmacy then. why even pursue it if the market is overflowing with pharmDs? is it just too late for you to drop out?

I heard that GA is one of those places that has too many pharmacists. At the same time, nationally there is a need for a greater number of pharmacists

ah, alright. forget pharmacy then. why even pursue it if the market is overflowing with pharmDs? is it just too late for you to drop out?

Well I dropped out of dental school! If I drop pharmacy too my parents will kill me for sure! And I am an old lady. If I was 18 years old again I would do a different career path.

Eh, pharmacy is a fine career. I say go for a residency or fellowship. You have a good plan laid out. But I am curious, why did you drop out of dental for pharmacy. When did you switch?

Eh, pharmacy is a fine career. I say go for a residency or fellowship. You have a good plan laid out. But I am curious, why did you drop out of dental for pharmacy. When did you switch?

I hope pharmacy is going to be a fine career when I graduate! lol... I might do a residency...I am still debating on that!

I dropped dental b/c I do not like patient contact, do not like working with my hands, do not like bad breath, blood, gum disease, etc. I originally went into dentistry b/c I wanted to do orthodontics...but the field is extremely competitive and I will kill myself if I had to do general dentistry! lol...plus again I just hate working with my hands. I went into dentistry for the money and shouldn't have basically.

Ouch, bad move. Yeah, I already know that I am terrible with working with my hands. It's a mess waiting to happen. I can see myself pulling the wrong teeth out and drilling a hole in a patient's tongue. I'd rather use my brain to help people.

I dropped dental b/c I do not like patient contact, do not like working with my hands, do not like bad breath, blood, gum disease, etc. I originally went into dentistry b/c I wanted to do orthodontics...but the field is extremely competitive and I will kill myself if I had to do general dentistry! lol...plus again I just hate working with my hands. I went into dentistry for the money and shouldn't have basically.

Well I dropped out of dental school! If I drop pharmacy too my parents will kill me for sure! And I am an old lady. If I was 18 years old again I would do a different career path.
Wow, I was actually considering dentistry too. I started out interested in physical therapy, but after months of shadowing, I realized it was way, way too much patient contact for me (literally hour long sessions with patients, with lots of downtime between exercises to talk about cats, grandkids that play soccer, and all that kinda stuff....not my cup of tea).

What career path would you choose if you were 18 again? I'm very curious b/c it sounds like you and I have similar personalities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you going for pharmacy, why do you enjoy it, and what do you dislike about it?

Reason for pharmacy? I wanted a long term career where I wouldn't need to excessively worry about money the rest of my life. At the time I was familiar only with retail and liked what I saw compared to other retail options. Plus I knew a pharmacist who recommended it to me.

Why do I enjoy it? Good question. Can I get back to you? j/k. I like the fast paced nature of the work, interacting with people, my co-workers. Much better than other retail jobs.

Dislike? Being on your feat all day is not much fun. And phones. God how I hate phones now.

Dislike? Being on your feat all day is not much fun. And phones. God how I hate phones now.

I thought it would make you feel good about yourself :laugh:

I also don't like all the chaos that comes with a line of people and constant phone ringing.

I would enjoy being there for people but I don't think retail is for me. I'm going to try and get into clinical trials or maybe nuclear pharmacy. Do I need a residency for that?

Wow, I was actually considering dentistry too. I started out interested in physical therapy, but after months of shadowing, I realized it was way, way too much patient contact for me (literally hour long sessions with patients, with lots of downtime between exercises to talk about cats, grandkids that play soccer, and all that kinda stuff....not my cup of tea).

What career path would you choose if you were 18 again? I'm very curious b/c it sounds like you and I have similar personalities.

Dentistry is a good profession (makes very good money) but you have to be good with your hands/don't mind the other crap that goes with the job. I couldn't do it, but if a person could do it it is an excellent profession to go into. It is in high demand, unlike pharmacy which is very saturated.

If I can do ANYTHING I wanted to do I would be a super model! :D I ADORE Janice Dickinson and would LOVE to be her! I also wouldn't mind being an international sales rep, a ballet instructor, a physical fitness instructor, a ballet dancer, a fashion designer, or an interior decorator.

But if I can become a mail order pharmacist that eventually works from home I would be happy too...it's no super model, but I'll still be happy.:)

Let's all hope that the demand increases or it becomes less saturated in the coming years. With the increase in different types of pharmacists, that will certainly happen. I heard about a new branch of pharm so let's see.

I am sure that I will NOT go for retail. I mean comon, it seems so boring. My parents got me interested in pharmacy and they think it's all retail. Haaha, I doubt many people know about the different types of pharmacists.

How do you know if retail is boring if you haven't experience it yet? Just curious.

By boring, I mean just not as much fun. It seems to be more of a business. I'm looking at getting into clinical trials.

I worked in retail for 8 years (pharmacy cashier, tech, and intern) before doing my residency. I never hated working with people and I miss the close interactions with patients. If you learn how to deal with the grumps, it really can be fun.

I doubt even people who hate retail would call it boring.

No one likes to deal with people...that's why retail paids the most b/c it is pure torture. (the only people that will disagree with me are pre-pharmers that never had a job in their lives. LOL...)

I currently work retail and hospital, and I actually prefer my retail job. I view the lack of patient interaction in hospital pharmacy as a negative, believe it or not. And not that hospital work can't be busy, but I like the (generally much) faster pace of retail better as well. Yeah, you're going to deal with rude customers, you're going to struggle to get done some days, and the same dumb questions (where is your bp machine? you mean the one right next to the window where you're standing?) get old sometimes. That's why I'm very much of the opinion that everyone should spend as much time as possible as a tech before starting pharmacy school, to figure out if these things get to you.

To the OP: some people, like SHC, hate retail and would sooner die than take a position as a retail pharmacist. I've worked with plenty of pharmacists that were equally against hospital work. If you think clinical trials are your thing, then great, shoot for that. But experience different types of pharmacy for yourself first hand. You might be surprised to find out what bothers you and what doesn't. Since you mentioned you aren't exactly a social butterfly, I actually think stepping out of your comfort zone and working retail would do you a world of good, beyond the pharmacy experience you would gain. You'd probably either realize the social aspect isn't nearly as intimidating as you imagine, or it would provide you a chance to improve your social skills, at least.

How do you know if retail is boring if you haven't experience it yet? Just curious.

Maybe by boring he means that the corporate environment bores holes in one's head, so the brain dies.

Maybe by boring he means that the corporate environment bores holes in one's head, so the brain dies.

^ That's exactly what I meant. I just couldn't find the words for it. The hospital setting seems more appealing. I don't think I'll enjoy being yelled at. I don't take that well.

My social problems are, I can't think on the spot for games like Taboo. I can't give a speech to a class. And I have had a lack of social communication because I am not interested in anything besides science-fiction, the sciences, and books. Everyone in my school only talks about sports and music, stuff I am completely oblivious about.

You might want to work on these. Even if you want to do research, you'll still (assuming you go to a decent school) be trained in patient care as well. Hospital pharmacists have to think on the spot (or at least students and residents do...), and everyone has to give presentations. Broaden your interests, too, because you never know when that will come up; connecting with a patient on any level goes a long way.

If you have no interest in patients, pharm sci or pharmacology might be better. I think drugs are frigging fascinating, and I also like the idea of sharing my knowledge as part of a problem-solving team, and helping people understand their medication. I know many patients get the short end of the stick, medically speaking, and I want to be part of the solution. The opportunity to work as part of an acute care team, get involved in research, and teach what I've learned appeals to me.

That was some rough draft for a letter of intent. Minus the "frigging" part.

I actually considered dentistry because I love working with my hands. If I could get a compounding gig I'd probably drop the residency search like it's hot.

Yes, I am working on that. What I was trying to say is, I can think on the spot for things like chemistry and math but for a game like taboo. "okay, you need to get the person to say stand-up comedian but you can't give the hints : comedy, seinfeld, russel peters, funny, jokes"

I can't do that. I do care about people and I want to play a role in helping patients. I will enjoy learning what I will in pharm school as well.

Thing is, I WANT to be more social. I know I have to work on it.

You might want to work on these. Even if you want to do research, you'll still (assuming you go to a decent school) be trained in patient care as well. Hospital pharmacists have to think on the spot (or at least students and residents do...), and everyone has to give presentations. Broaden your interests, too, because you never know when that will come up; connecting with a patient on any level goes a long way.

If you have no interest in patients, pharm sci or pharmacology might be better. I think drugs are frigging fascinating, and I also like the idea of sharing my knowledge as part of a problem-solving team, and helping people understand their medication. I know many patients get the short end of the stick, medically speaking, and I want to be part of the solution. The opportunity to work as part of an acute care team, get involved in research, and teach what I've learned appeals to me.

That was some rough draft for a letter of intent. Minus the "frigging" part.

I actually considered dentistry because I love working with my hands. If I could get a compounding gig I'd probably drop the residency search like it's hot.

Yes, I am working on that. What I was trying to say is, I can think on the spot for things like chemistry and math but for a game like taboo.

LOL. Sorry, but that was not what eeyore spice meant. I think she meant having a sense of quick judgement; coming up with the most effective solution possible to a problem, in a very short period of time.

Anyway, I hope your public communication pre-req will bring you out of your social/public communication prison. Also try to actively be a part of some student clubs or organisations. It will present you the opportunity to improve your (face-to-face) interactive skills with people. Because you sound like you're a little bit an introvert. And please believe me, I don't mean that in anyway offensive.

Lets turn that introvert to extrovert.

Its going to be tough for you in group projects if you're not social, especially with people you don't know, and communication is key in pharmacy, which you will be tested.

You will be taking a Speech and Communication class as your pre-requisite, which will be the longest semester of your life, and you will hate it, but it is very beneficial for you because it will build your confidence. It will help you with your presentations and communications as well/

You should volunteer for a community food bank or anything related to the community because you meet a lot of different people and interact with them. This will help you with your social skill as well.

Last edited:
Anyway, I hope your public communication pre-req will bring you out of your social/public communication prison. Also try to actively be a part of some student clubs or organisations. It will present you the opportunity to improve your (face-to-face) interactive skills with people. Because you sound like you're a little bit an introvert. And please believe me, I don't mean that in anyway offensive.

Sometimes it really depends on who is around when you see a person being really quiet or very talkative.

Lets turn that introvert to extrovert.

Its going to be tough for you in group projects if you're not social, especially with people you don't know, and communication is key in pharmacy, which you will be tested.

You will be taking a Speech and Communication class as your pre-requisite, which will be the longest semester of your life, and you will hate it, but it is very beneficial for you because it will build your confidence. It will help you with your presentations and communications as well/

You should volunteer for a community food bank or anything related to the community because you meet a lot of different people and interact with them. This will help you with your social skill as well.

I liked my speech class since it had like 15 people in it. I also liked the way that the class was structured and taught.

Being social with people you'll never see again and trying to talk to people you run into over and over at school are different.

I tend to feel less nervous talking to someone I'm probably going to see only once.

The thing is, I am having a hard time explaining this. Yes I am in introvert and no I didn't take offense to it.

I do fine in group projects. It's just **** like a game like Taboo in school..should never have gone to school lthe last day before the holiday break -.-

I ****ed up bad

different situations are different...(duh)

I can come up with solutions, it all depends on the circumstances..yeah, I hope the communications class helps me.

Being a pharmacist you are going to be communicating and counseling patients and health care professionals, so not talking will be impossible.

Even when you work in a hospital you are going to have to talk to doctors and the thing is sometimes they arent going to want to listen to your advice on the medication. So you have to be convincing too. The thing I hate about hospital is that some nurses and doctors (not all) dont take you seriously nor respect you so its like you have to prove to them how much you know.

Last edited:
I'll get better at this..

why are pharmacists do disrespected?

Being a pharmacist you are going to be communicating and counseling patients and health care professionals, so not talking will be impossible.

Even when you work in a hospital you are going to have to talk to doctors and the thing is sometimes they arent going to want to listen to your advice on the medication. So you have to be convincing too. The thing I hate about hospital is that some nurses and doctors (not all) dont take you seriously nor respect you so its like you have to prove to them how much you know.

Dont worry about now knowing what to say when talking to people. Your school is going to prepare you with communication classes, presentations, and labs.

My school made us pretend that we were counseling patients in a mock pharmacy setting and also made us pretend that we were talking to doctors by using this fake phone system thing. Most schools have these mock pharmacies, I believe that there is a APha competition with patient counseling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmagirlie

Agreed. I worked at a rehab hospital and it was so small so there were only so many number of doctors and nurses there. Everytime I wanted to do an intervention I was shot down, and was told I was wrong and what not. I noticed that it were the older doctors that were stubborn, but hey at least I advised the doctor on his mistake. As long as I write a note on the patient's medical file, Im not liable anymore, it's now the doctor's fault for not listening to me. But ya after working there for a couple of weeks and running into that issue over and over again I had enough.

I think sometimes other HCP dont know that you went to school for 6years. They probably think you are some pharmacy tech. that went to those vocational 2 year schools that you see infomercials for on tV.

I've heard from clinical pharmacists that it's the older doctors who aren't used to having a pharmacist around that will question every recommendation before doing anything with it.

I've heard from clinical pharmacists that it's the older doctors who aren't used to having a pharmacist around that will question every recommendation before doing anything with it.

Yes and no. Older doctors who are used to working with pharmacists (good pharmacists) are generally open to pharmacists. I've also worked with plenty of interns and residents who don't listen to pharmacy, argue with pharmacists, and don't return pages. They also usually don't like to listen to nurses. Many interns and residents like pharmacists because we help with dosing and catch mistakes, but you should see some of them before a pharmacist saves them!

I think a lot of it depends on whether the doctor has worked with pharmacists before or knows what pharmacists learn in school and can do.

Edit to add: I see the same with pharmacists. I work with some pharmacists who think all doctors are idiots with pharmacology and all nurses do is clean patients up. It really is working with a team, and if you're new or the other person isn't used to your field you may have to prove yourself. Or they may never change, but you pick your battles.