1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

what are your feelings on USMLEworld

Discussion in 'Step I' started by Reborn24, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Reborn24

Reborn24 Guest

I know it's been talked about before. The explanations are so good, but the questions are hard.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. vtucci

vtucci Attending in Emergency Medicine
    Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I agree they can be tough but have been doing a few blocks of them anyway. I scheduled step 1 for May 1st.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pinky65

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i've done abt 35% of UW all random, timed. I feel like my brain has opened up or something after doing only that much; concepts that were scattered before are now integrated. If you keep doing the questions before you know it things start falling into place on their own. I tried kaplan and finished 54% of it and i just wanted to tear my hair out at times because I didn't see myself improving. It also depends on what works for you; i'm the kinda person who hates rote memorization but loves integration so something like UW is great for me. The questions are challenging but that makes it even more satisfying when I get them right. Reading the explanations can be a job in itself but I force myself to read through everything. Having said that i still don't think any one qbank will do wonders for everyone. some ppl may hate UW and love kaplan and vice versa.

4. Medikit

Medikit Plastic Bag Middle Class
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Sadness, anxiety, despair, indifference, and anger.

5. Wings4Marie

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I started getting 70's on this thing, and now I'm down to 40's.

What is that supposed to mean?

Some of these diagrams in the explanations are drawn in crayon... ya, CRAYON!

Why is there so much stuff in USMLEWORLD that's not in First Aid, or Rapid Review... OR KAPLAN????

I doubt this bank is any good. A lot of people think it's the best but you wont see any of that stuff on the real exam. There's a $hitload of low yield material I've never heard of or seen and I've been through FA and the Kaplan books 12 or more times each. Pardon my French..

Im starting to think this 'doctor thing' is a complete waste of time and money. If I get any lower than the score I want I'm quitting. I can't imagine another, what, 7 more years of tests like this?? at least.

6. GOGETA

GOGETA SuperSaiyan
    2+ Year Member

oK,OK now take a deep breath and relax, dont worry everything will be ok:)

Its totally normal to feel very frustated when you do this questions call UW, try to read the answers and understand the concepts.

When you say " Im starting to think this 'doctor thing' is a complete waste of time and money."

I did not understood if you ment the UW or the MD part? but either way, you will do fine on your test if you keep focus.

Also remember that they test different concepts.

I also laugh ALOT when I saw the picture in crayon:laugh:, and they mispell hepatic with eratic:smuggrin:

good luck on the test

7. GOGETA

GOGETA SuperSaiyan
    2+ Year Member

I was doing so good, 60's and 50's then a group of tests in the low 30's:scared:, my cum % when down hill, my last 4 tests I had 3 in a row with a 48% and the last test with a 56%.

You have to be really good prepare to have a cum% above 55% on UW, mine is really really really +pity++pissed+

There are some stuff that Im just :eek::confused::(

8. dr.weiner

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I like UW so far... the questions are thought provoking and require multiple steps of thinking, although some things are obscure, as can be seen when only 8% of the people who had this question got it right. Just don't get caught up in your %, especially since it hasn't been around long enough for any correlation between UW and Step 1 scores to arise. Just use it as a learning tool.

9. Wings4Marie

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    GOGETA,

Your post actually calmed me down believe it or not. HAHA thanks doc :thumbup:

10. bjackrian

bjackrian Senior Member
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm through 1,000 questions in USMLE World, and my scores are improving a little, but more importantly, I seem to be remembering more than when I am studying from non-question based sources. I did the first 500 questions on random, unused, timed mode, and then realized that timing isn't an issue for me with their questions (I finished with 20-30 minutes left, and didn't usually go through and check answers), so I switched to tutor mode for the most recent 500, and that helps me remember even better. I sit there for a couple minutes agonizing over my two best answer choices and then get immediate feedback so I remember it for next time.

Bottom line: the questions are very difficult and a majority require multiple levels of thinking, but they're great to learn from. Don't worry to much about low scores on them...worry about whether you're learning the material presented in the questions.

Edit: I meant to say, I averaged about 42% for the first couple hundred questions, and that's been steadily climbing so that I'm up to about 50-52% averages (with a significant amount of variation). I'm hoping to pull it up to around 60% by the time I'm done with the all 1800+ questions.

11. GOGETA

GOGETA SuperSaiyan
    2+ Year Member

I got this from a website call valuemd and it help me see the big picture of the torture::D

Most people say USMLEWORLD is hard compared to other Qbanks. It is hard. On the real USMLE exam, 30-40% of the questions are simple and straight forward and a majority of test takers, even without preparation, can answer these questions. Therefore, preparing for these questions will not help to differentiate you from all of the other residency applicants. Another 10% of the questions are very difficult, and few people will answer these questions correctly, likely by chance alone. Many of these are experimental questions that do not factor into your final USMLE score.

The intention of USMLEWORLD is not to provide these easy or experimental questions to you. Their goal is to train you to answer the remaining 50% of the questions. These questions are challenging, but reasonable, and these are the questions that will separate you from your peers.

I would recommend users to practice Qs once they have completed the first reading of Step1 notes from different sources.

If your performance is constantly in lower 50s, then you will have to work-hard to understand the concepts (go through the Qs & explanations again and do the second reading of your notes) to ace the exam.

I wish you good luck.

12. GOGETA

GOGETA SuperSaiyan
    2+ Year Member

Hey thats the reason of this website, vent a little, and help each other:rolleyes:

I hope you are doing great on your stodies;)

13. mesoderm

mesoderm Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Huh...well then this is probably why my cum avg seems so sucky right now, because I am doing questions as I go along, topic by topic. Thanks for posting that GOGETA, I feel a little teensy bit better about my UW scores:)

14. GOGETA

GOGETA SuperSaiyan
    2+ Year Member

Hey I have notice that I have some areas that my % is 68 or 56 and then when I see my percentile is very low:eek:, so i just decided to not see the percentile part:D and only look at the % part:D

15. mesoderm

mesoderm Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Does this mean the cumalitive score, or your score for each test that you take?