What are your goals after dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stoopidmonkeycatdog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd just like to hear a few of y'all's aspirations in the field of dentistry.

Members don't see this ad.

Work for cooperative office to hone my clinical skills and focus primarily on patient care. I want to partner up with another dentist to manage a practice, but that will be several years after working in a cooperate office.

I might looking into residency as well depending on how well I do in dental school right now. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Ball outta control. Jokes aside, would like to gain experience as an associate while looking into scoping out other practices. Get involved at least once a month in some type of volunteer work where I can provide free dental services.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Serve in the Air Force as a dentist and see where that adventure takes me! Maybe teach one day!

Make a new dental school.

Reactions: 8 users
Either research or rural, possibly teach.
Really just wanna get in and see how I do. I think that will determine what doors open up for me. I want to really see all that dentistry has to offer...kind of harder as a pre-dent with no real experience as to the curriculum and such.

I'd actually be interested in teaching early on in my career as well, I've heard quite a few do but I don't know how one goes about it.

Reactions: 1 user
20 years in the Navy and then Dental Forensics

Saturation! Too many dentists! The profession will be doomed!

Shh....there may be room for you as the Executive Director of the Office of Admissions Recruitment for the Talented Pre-Dental Search Committee.

All you need to do is say these magic words to everyone: "This is the GOLDEN AGE OF DENTISTRY!"

Members don't see this ad :)
Afterwards. If you want to do 20 years anyway there's no reason you can't switch over after your obligation is done.

Never really been intrigued by the Air Force. Would Dover be that much of a step forward to pursuing Forensic Dentistry? I did a quick search on Google and did see they had the forensic department there.

Never really been intrigued by the Air Force. Would Dover be that much of a step forward to pursuing Forensic Dentistry? I did a quick search on Google and did see they had the forensic department there.
All forward deployed KIA fly into the Dover AFB mortuary. Those videos/pictures that you see of the flag draped transfer cases (caskets) being carried by uniformed pallbearers off the C-17's are at Dover. If you want to do forensic and be in the military, I can't think of a better way to honor those who gave their lives.
My wife's uncle was stationed there. There was a plane crash overseas and the remains were flown to Dover for identification. He was very busy for a while.

Reactions: 1 users
Dover is the hub to accept deceased service members more often than not. So, I can imagine you would gain some pretty valuable experience!

If I do well in d school I'd love to specialize. Also looking to teach either at d school or a university

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

All forward deployed KIA fly into the Dover AFB mortuary. Those videos/pictures that you see of the flag draped transfer cases (caskets) being carried by uniformed pallbearers off the C-17's are at Dover. If you want to do forensic and be in the military, I can't think of a better way to honor those who gave their lives.
My wife's uncle was stationed there. There was a plane crash overseas and the remains were flown to Dover for identification. He was very busy for a while.

Thanks so much for the info. I'll definitely have to look into it some more!