what are your non-academic goals before starting school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meowkat444

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's a thread like this in pre-allo, but let's face it, I care what you guys are up to way more.

Now, granted, I simply do not think all (or even any?) of these things will happen because of finances, but a girl can dream!

1) get my motorcycle license
2) take a surfing lesson
3) learn to snowboard

Members don't see this ad.

There's a thread like this in pre-allo, but let's face it, I care what you guys are up to way more.

Haha, I agree. Good thread. This summer I want to

1) Travel to India to see extended family, maybe stopping somewhere in Europe (Paris?) for a few days on the way there.
2) Read Tolstoy's War and Peace
3) Learn to cook a few dishes
4) Depending on where I end up, re-learn how to drive
5) Brush up on my tennis skills and generally exercise as much as I can

We'll see how many of these I can accomplish!

1. start running again to lose the weight I gained from the free food at interviews (and up-coming revisits!)
2. read a clockwork orange and the last few books of harry potter
3. become a master at super smash brothers brawl to kick butt in medical school :)
4. eat food in Taiwan!
5. maybe pick up WoW and let the addiction take over my life.

Members don't see this ad :)
I spent a couple of months after my PhD tying up some loose ends in the lab. Then I did nothing for about a whole month besides hang out at the beach and swimming pool, watch hours of television and movies, and go to the gym before it was time to move and get ready to start med school. It was terrific. I may never have such a month again for the rest of my life. :(

Whatever you guys do this summer, for the love of sanity, *don't* use it to study thinking that will give you a leg up on med school.

Seraph, I highly recommend the Harry Potter books, but be careful about WoW; it's totally addictive. I stopped cold turkey when I moved for med school, and I have even been afraid to play it during my vacations. :laugh:

1. Take at least one fabulous vacation
2. Relearn how to ride a horse
3. Learn the basics of polo
4. Start running again
5. Enjoy life!

also...

learn how to keep my alcohol for med school :D

also...

learn how to keep my alcohol for med school :D

I second the running + EtOH combo (BFI decrease + BAC increase = good times), with the addition of a little weight training to bulk up for the ladies!

Realistic goals:
Travel to either Asia or South America.
Complete at least one of the local long distance bike rides.
Run at least a 10k. (First 5k is coming up in April.)
Finish the stack of books I've collected.

Less likely goals:
Compete in a triathlon.
Run a marathon.

1) Watch as many movies as possible
2) Read as many books as possible

That's about it. Find a place to live once I decide on a school. Move across the country.

1) Get an apartment, etc.
2) Go to Europe.
3) Go to Fiji. (this one is looking less likely every passing day)
4) Read as many books as possible (stolen from Inuranic)
5) Get up to date on Scrubs (any other fanatics?)
6) Play as much golf as possible

That's mostly it. Just sit around at home, spend time with family and friends, some globetrotting, should be glorious.

yeah, i have every scrubs episode on my computer and routinely watch it as i drift off. so no catching up for me. i would like to catch up on the wire, however, and be happy that i'm not headed to baltimore.

second on the whipping myself back into shape after free interview food. something about free food activates my "HOARD HOARD HOARD" instinct, and i eat until i'm stuffed every time.

1. Join the bicyclist culture of Madison (I've got the perfect Trek bike picked out to buy as soon as the snow melts...we're up to 89.8" total accumulation for the season right now)
2. Take a gum paste class and make a whimsical, Alice-in-Wonderland style cake (one with tilted tiers)
3. Get some golf practice
4. Actually, once again, enjoy my subscription to the Economist
5. Travel to Europe and Peru

1. Join the bicyclist culture of Madison (I've got the perfect Trek bike picked out to buy as soon as the snow melts...we're up to 89.8" total accumulation for the season right now)
2. Take a gum paste class and make a whimsical, Alice-in-Wonderland style cake (one with tilted tiers)
3. Get some golf practice
4. Actually, once again, enjoy my subscription to the Economist
5. Travel to Europe and Peru

The Economist rocks. I feel you though, I sometimes get a week or two behind. There is so much heft that to really appreciate it takes a couple hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love The Economist... but yeah, it's been months since I last got to read one cover-to-cover. Sigh.

I love The Economist... but yeah, it's been months since I last got to read one cover-to-cover. Sigh.

yeah I never do cover-to-cover, even when I have oodles of time. The business and finance stuff is dreadfully boring, for starters. My favorite part is the obituary, kind of morbid eh?

yeah I never do cover-to-cover, even when I have oodles of time. The business and finance stuff is dreadfully boring, for starters. My favorite part is the obituary, kind of morbid eh?

I never bothered with the business/financial stuff before I took introductory economics in college. We were assigned a lot of articles from The Economist in our class and reading real-world applications made the economic principles come alive, at least for me. After that class, I found those sections rather interesting. But my favourite sections are the editorials on politics and other events/trends in different parts of the world, and the section called "The World This Week."

Obituaries, eh? Interesting... :rolleyes: Then again, my secret (well, not secret any more) favourite section of the NY Times - is the weekly one on wedding announcements... I'm clearly not alone, because my roommate loves that section, too. Not that either of us is planning on getting married anytime soon, of course - far from it - but it's always interesting to read other people's stories... often, more interesting than fiction. :oops:

Ok, now I'll run and hide behind the sofa. :p

Back on thread: I'd like to read more newspapers and newsmagazines to be more informed on current affairs this summer. I used to be really good about that...

I never bothered with the business/financial stuff before I took introductory economics in college. We were assigned a lot of articles from The Economist in our class and reading real-world applications made the economic principles come alive, at least for me. After that class, I found those sections rather interesting. But my favourite sections are the editorials on politics and other events/trends in different parts of the world, and the section called "The World This Week."

Obituaries, eh? Interesting... :rolleyes: Then again, my secret (well, not secret any more) favourite section of the NY Times - is the weekly one on wedding announcements... I'm clearly not alone, because my roommate loves that section, too. Not that either of us is planning on getting married anytime soon, of course - far from it - but it's always interesting to read other people's stories... often, more interesting than fiction. :oops:

Ok, now I'll run and hide behind the sofa. :p

haha yeah I had the same experience with my econ classes here and I still find those sections tedious. Kudos to you for plowing through them! And I can't say I pay much attention to the wedding section of the Times, no offense. But then again boys don't really dwell on weddings in my experience. Anyways, yeah, this is really off topic, sorry. We are dorks.

wow man, you guys are pretty hardcore, reading the economist and stuff...i'm still reading nintendo power :p

Catch-up on sleep

Work out

Play CS source which may interfere with my first goal...

Hmmm, the obituary...that is quite an interesting choice. For whatever reason, I really like the books and arts section. However, my favorite section of all is the technology quarterly. I don't read the Times or WSJ, so I can't compare to those sources, but I am generally quite surprised at the science and technology section of The Economist. They seem to do a better job reporting on important findings than other popular news sources (CNN comes to mind).

:rolleyes: Then again, my secret (well, not secret any more) favourite section of the NY Times - is the weekly one on wedding announcements...

you have a pretty good guilty pleasure ;)

Btw, Dodo, way to include a British spelling...

my favorite part of the times hands down is "The Ethicist" by Randy Cohen. Its part of the sunday magazine. It's first thing I read every saturday (its available online on sat).

My to do list:
1. Get into shape. I cant say "back into shape" because I never was.
2. Watch the "I, Claudius" and "Lost" tv series (I've only just started them)
3. Learn to cook some more, maybe also to bake
4. Read as much as I can before I cant anymore because of school
5. Try out some new restaurants

my favorite part of the times hands down is "The Ethicist" by Randy Cohen. Its part of the sunday magazine. It's first thing I read every saturday (its available online on sat).

My to do list:
1. Get into shape. I cant say "back into shape" because I never was.
2. Watch the "I, Claudius" and "Lost" tv series (I've only just started them)
3. Learn to cook some more, maybe also to bake
4. Read as much as I can before I cant anymore because of school
5. Try out some new restaurants

For everyone who both wants to read AND get in shape:

Read while doing cardio on a recumbent bike. It is easily my most favorite activity (because I feel like its about as efficient as multitasking can get).

Also, study while doing cardio on a bike. Nothing says "awesome" like reading about histone octamers and burning calories.

Ooh, fun thread and so many good ideas! :)

OK, here are some of my options for how to fill time before school; some are drastically more likely than others to happen:

1) Backpack Eastern Europe
2) Bike/Climb/Surf till I drop ... or start school, whichever comes first
3) Read as much as humanly possible
4) Sit around, eat ice cream, and do absolutely nothing productive

The future mudphuds of America are clearly going to be a well-read and fleet-footed bunch. Good for us.

My goals:
1.) Play as much Ultimate as is humanly possible.
2.) Read through the knee high pile of books waiting for me next to my bed.
3.) Get back to running more than once or twice a week so that I'll be able to run with my boyfriend when he gets home.
4.) Learn how to sail.
5.) Finish all the random knitting projects still sitting on their needles in my bedroom.
6.) SIMPLIFY and give away a WHOLE BUNCH of my crap rather than move it to a new place.

Run a sub 3hr time in the chicago triathlon.

If I get ambitious I'll change it to 2:45...haha

TP

1) Quit my job early enough to have some time off (it will be hard to give up my paycheck!)
2) Improve my half marathon time
3) Improve my Spanish and start learning Italian
4) Make it through my wedding without losing my mind
5) Then go on a sweet but brief honeymoon to Capri and Rome :D
6) Read novels (Love in the Time of Cholera, Suite Francaise, Anna Karenina)
7) Spend more time with friends

For everyone who both wants to read AND get in shape:

Read while doing cardio on a recumbent bike. It is easily my most favorite activity (because I feel like its about as efficient as multitasking can get).

Also, study while doing cardio on a bike. Nothing says "awesome" like reading about histone octamers and burning calories.

I tried this once. My book was so full of sweat by the end it was disgusting.