What are your opinions about Cornell (Weill)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering what your opinions are of Cornell. A lot of people on other websites (and other interviewees I've met, for that matter) seem to believe that Cornell does not provide the best clinical training. It seems to me also that the main reason people pick this school is for the location. I would love to hear why some people have chosen Cornell or have turned the school down. (I am currently deciding between Cornell and Wash U. St. Louis) Any opinions are welcome!! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you check their residency match list? If the students are matching to good residencies, then chances are the clinical education is fine.

Hi ?

I am a 4th year Cornell med student. Here are the reasons I chose Cornell and am SO happy to have gone there:

First 2 Years
1. Excellent blend of lecture based and case-based learning. I didn?t appreciate case-based learning at the time but having gone through the clinical years I realize how much it taught me about medical problem solving, working in a group of peers in a team environment, medical topic presentations, etc.
2. Weekly quizzes (I know it sounds like torture but it really keeps you up to date and helps you remember more than once a semester final).

Years 3+4
3. Excellent clinical exposure with rotations in New York Hospital and through a large and diverse network of affiliated hospitals. There are opportunities to work in absolutely every kind of hospital ? from Lincoln Hospital in the Bronx (busiest ER in the country, tons of exposure to inner city medicine with an indigent patient population), to Queens Hospital (lots of exposure to more community-type medicine), to Brooklyn Hospital and more. Rotations at Memorial Sloane Kettering (best cancer center in the world) represents the absolute peak of high powered, research oriented academic medicine if that?s what you?re looking for. If you?re interested in orthopedics or rheumatology, you can rotate across the street in one of the best orthopedic hospitals in the world, the Hospital for Special Surgery. In other words, there is no dearth of clinical exposures!!!!!!!!!!!
4. We do great in the match ? people this year are going to awesome places and at interviews the Cornell name was VERY well respected.

All 4 years
5. Fun to live in NYC in a safe and quiet area of the city.
6. Financially the school is quite well off ? e.g., we were just given $100 million dollars ? so we have awesome facilities.
7. Awesome opportunities for research, if that's your thing ... seems like Rockefeller Univ. has a Nobel prizewinner at least every other year.

The Future
7. There?s this $350 million dollar research initiative under way and big plans for even more improvement in the school and medical center.

Please ask me more questions if you have any! Do not believe people who say you don?t get excellent clinical training because it is simply NOT TRUE.

[This message has been edited by zb (edited April 02, 2001).]

I'm a 2nd year at Cornell and am loving it. Don't have much to add (zb covered most of the high points) except to say COME HERE!!