What are your opinions on these Schools? Complaints accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

aries304

Hi everyone,

The BUSPH thread got me thinking about what any of you may know about any of these programs....Complaints are accepted if you have any - I want to hear anything you may have learned, heard by word of mouth or from experience - I don't have the means to visit them right now!

University of Maryland - College Park
U-Mass
University of Ill - Chicago
University of Minnesota
University of Michigan
George Washington University
UNC

Also, if anyone can give info on competitiveness or mission (practice v. research) that is also helpful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In terms of reputation, U of Michigan would be the best with UNC a very close second (essentially tied). U of Minnesota would be third (not too far from the top two) and then there is a more substantial drop.

GWU and UMCP have the edge of being in or near DC, which can be a good place for seeking PH-related work. I'm not sure if UMCP is accredited by CEPH, though. The top three in this group would be clearly better than the others.

I received my MPH through the U Mass online program. It was 100% online and it was a very flexible curriculum. I enjoyed the program.

I would have liked to see streaming audio/video of the lectures with the PowerPoint slides.

If you're not looking for an online program, then my comments may not be worth much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help, both of you. Sometimes it's hard to tell which are more competitive; GW is a competitive university in general, but I didn't think their PH School was (or should i say is) as well developed as say, U-M and U-MN.

just trying to find the balance so i don't wind up applying to completely tough programs and not get into any

U-maryland is an accredited program, but not an accredited school

GWU is completely overpriced for the education offered. UNC and UMich are probably the best PH schools on your list.

I went to GWU's open house last year, and they spent the entire time fawning over all the extracurricular things to do in DC. Admittedly, for people in policy and management there are tons of organizations to intern/work at, but for me (infectious disease) it just fell flat. And it's ridiculously overpriced to boot.

UNC is ranked the highest on that list with University of Michigan right behind it. I know one person who went to GW and liked it- lots of opportunities being in DC. However, I don't know where they rank.
As far as applying to "tough to get into" schools, I would recommend applying to a couple that you really want to go to but aren't sure if you can get it, ones you're pretty sure you can get in, and ones you are pretty certain. I could only afford to apply to 3 so I went for two that I thought were really good and then one back up school. The back up ended up offering me a good deal financially so that's the school I chose. Good Luck!

UMass Amherst is great for epi, biostats, and comm health...for the others, I'm less sure.

Amherst is a great town though. It is somewhat rural...so if you are looking for an urban setting or for opportunities that you would likely find in cities...then perhaps it is not the best place.

Faculty are all helpful, pleasant, and from diverse backgrounds.

The Public Health Sciences building is in need of improvement, though...

Hello there,

just wanted to know which busph thread you guys are talking abt?? Can u plz send me the link for that..

I have been admited to bu for mph(healh policy & mangement) as a full time international student from india and wanted to know more abt the university and the program there.

The thread others mentioned is from last year. Honestly I would disregard most of what was said on that thread as the person in question for some reason had something against BUSPH. Hated the location, hated the professors, and hated everything. (My opinion is that this person had some sort of personal beef with the school, maybe wasn’t accepted, etc, I don’t know)