This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedWhite&Blue

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've currently getting my BA in Animal Science, and will soon be making the choice whether I want to pursue dairy science or equine science. Either way, there are many contributors to why I love/don't like Animal Science.

One thing I love about it is the diversity of animals I get to work with. One day we will be studying about the proper nutrients in a balanced diet for horses and the next day could revolve completely around breeding and husbandry of donkeys. I find it eclectic and exciting for an aspiring animal scientist/veterinarian.

However, there are some things popping up in the field that I'm not liking to well. Just out of curiosity, what are things personally love/don't love about the study and the work revolving around the Animal Science field?

Members don't see this ad.

I liked my animal science classes because of the diversity, too. However, the vast majority of people out in the field tend to stick with one species, whether as a veterinarian, researcher, nutritionist, barn manager, etc. So I think while it's fun as an undergraduate, many people do not get that level of species diversity in their careers.

Reactions: 1 user
Ration formulation was the stuff of my undergrad nightmares. :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I liked my animal science classes because of the diversity, too. However, the vast majority of people out in the field tend to stick with one species, whether as a veterinarian, researcher, nutritionist, barn manager, etc. So I think while it's fun as an undergraduate, many people do not get that level of species diversity in their careers.

So not true.

For instance, I treat both dogs AND cats.

Reactions: 8 users
So not true.

For instance, I treat both dogs AND cats.

With the students I'm currently studying with, it's about 50/50. Some want to work with a particular animal while others are eclectic and do a broad range. Both sound equally appealing. :)

Ration formulation was the stuff of my undergrad nightmares. :laugh:

Oh my Lord you are right about that one. It seems that my mechanically-minded friends had a much easier time with it than I did. I don't struggle with it as much as I used to, but if I pursue dairy science there's no way I'm escaping it.

I'm still in a quandary of whether I want to simply receive my BS in Animal Science and find a job afterwards, or move on and pursue a Veterinary program. Are they any good jobs in the Animal Science field, or is it mostly used as a degree to further studies in Veterinary medicine?

I'm still in a quandary of whether I want to simply receive my BS in Animal Science and find a job afterwards, or move on and pursue a Veterinary program. Are they any good jobs in the Animal Science field, or is it mostly used as a degree to further studies in Veterinary medicine?

That depends on what kind of job you want. I know a lot of people who went into animal science jobs right after school - feedlot manager and dairy manager positions, mostly. They love what they do. A few other people are in graduate school for nutrition or genetics, and will probably end up in industry after they're done.

There's a lot you can do in animal science, and there are some areas that are in high demand right now. It totally depends on you and what you want to do.

Reactions: 1 user

This depends a lot on your program and how much it's structured as a way to get into vet school. My good friend and I both have animal science degrees from different campuses of the same university, but the courses included in our degrees are vastly different. Hers sounds a lot more like yours - she had a lot of dairy management classes, nutrition, breeding, etc. Mine did not have those, it was much more like a biology major, and it set me up for vet school/graduate school well, but I would have had a harder time getting an industry job than she would.

You can do a lot with the degree, especially in nutrition.

What is it that you want to do on a day to day basis? Have you shadowed a veterinarian?