What are your plans for the summer before D-school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duh?

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well it looks like I'll be getting a summer job so that I wont be totally broke by the time we matriculate. The parents will not be footing any of my bills after May 6th 2006. :( I wonder what kind of job I can get for just the summer with good enough pay. I don't want to work at Mc Donalds. ;) If y'all have suggestions feel free to contribute.

Members don't see this ad.

duh? said:
Well it looks like I'll be getting a summer job so that I wont be totally broke by the time we matriculate. The parents will not be footing any of my bills after May 6th 2006. :( I wonder what kind of job I can get for just the summer with good enough pay. I don't want to work at Mc Donalds. ;) If y'all have suggestions feel free to contribute.

Are you willing to work nights. I know grocery stores with night stockers will pay up to 12-15 bucks an hour.

not a bad gig, but the hours are horrible.

Great thread...i was wondering the same thing too. I'm kinda on the fence cuz yea i really would like the extra money when I start school...but then again, its so tempting to be a lazy worthless bum and just hang out with my friends all summer cuz i know this is probably the last chance ill have to do that and get away with it. So i dunno, we'll see how motivated i am come may...but id be interested to hear what other people are planning.. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
hockeydentist said:
Are you willing to work nights. I know grocery stores with night stockers will pay up to 12-15 bucks an hour.

not a bad gig, but the hours are horrible.
Thanks Hockeydentist! You're right about the hours! :D I would love to get a job at one of those 'ladies clothing stores' so i can get all the employee discounts and revive my dying wardrobe. :laugh: But that's just an option. :D

We start school on june 6th. So, I am leaving work April 29th, so I can be lazy for a month!!

nrlee said:
Great thread...i was wondering the same thing too. I'm kinda on the fence cuz yea i really would like the extra money when I start school...but then again, its so tempting to be a lazy worthless bum and just hang out with my friends all summer cuz i know this is probably the last chance ill have to do that and get away with it. So i dunno, we'll see how motivated i am come may...but id be interested to hear what other people are planning.. :thumbup:
:laugh: :laugh: Yup!

Kniles5 said:
We start school on june 6th. So, I am leaving the center for drug and alcohol programs April 29th, so I can be lazy for a month!!
Wow! That's early! I had no idea some schools start that early. Well i'm glad you know what you're going to do. I was going to lay around too but my mum shoved me back to reality yesterday. Man! :(

although it's really boring, i know the post office offers a good starting pay at about $14/hr. Also, you might think about taking classes to obtain a dental assistant degree well before the summer and then start working at a practice over the summer. i believe the avg. for a DA is about $18/hr. I don't remember which one exactly, but I have had friends who have submitted their resumes through certain agencies that helped them find good summer jobs as well. hope this helps...

I'm going to Greece for a month. I figure after this summer it will be research or externship projects, so I am making this one memorable!

howui3 said:
I'm going to Greece for a month.

That's the spirit! My suggestion is always to travel if you're young and get the chance. In England and many countries they have a "gap" year in which the students just take off a year and travel the world. But of course they don't have the rediculous tuiton fees and debt that we have to deal with. So I know some of us will have to work until we start dental school.

I'm going to go around the world in 80 days. (without using planes of course) I love to travel and I've always wanted to go on that adventure. After that I'm going to Germany for the World Cup in June. My first World Cup, I've been dreaming of this since the day I was born! :D

80 days around the world? hardcore!

have fun on your trip!

rajmahal2004 said:
That's the spirit! My suggestion is always to travel if you're young and get the chance. In England and many countries they have a "gap" year in which the students just take off a year and travel the world. But of course they don't have the rediculous tuiton fees and debt that we have to deal with. So I know some of us will have to work until we start dental school.

I'm going to go around the world in 80 days. (without using planes of course) I love to travel and I've always wanted to go on that adventure. After that I'm going to Germany for the World Cup in June. My first World Cup, I've been dreaming of this since the day I was born! :D
NICE! You're going to see ALL the matches? I guess I'll try to watch them on TV ( I haven't ever tried to watch soccer on my TV here, do you know if there's a cable TV station/channel that broadcasts the world cup here in the US?)
I don't think Nigeria qualified for the World cup! :( :( :(

DUBS said:
although it's really boring, i know the post office offers a good starting pay at about $14/hr. Also, you might think about taking classes to obtain a dental assistant degree well before the summer and then start working at a practice over the summer. i believe the avg. for a DA is about $18/hr. I don't remember which one exactly, but I have had friends who have submitted their resumes through certain agencies that helped them find good summer jobs as well. hope this helps...
Great suggestions DUBS! I'll contact my post office and find out. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
duh? said:
NICE! You're going to see ALL the matches? I guess I'll try to watch them on TV ( I haven't ever tried to watch soccer on my TV here, do you know if there's a cable TV station/channel that broadcasts the world cup here in the US?)
I don't think Nigeria qualified for the World cup! :( :( :(

Nope, no eagles. But, there are 4 first timers...Angola, Togo, Ivory Coast and Ghana. Let's see if one of these teams can be the Senegal of the WC06.

I would love to go. If I can get my parents to get the funds together, I might go.

And the WC will certainly be on in the US. If you don't have a TV, go to a pub :D

Audio said:
Nope, no eagles. But, there are 4 first timers...Angola, Togo, Ivory Coast and Ghana. Let's see if one of these teams can be the Senegal of the WC06.

I would love to go. If I can get my parents to get the funds together, I might go.

And the WC will certainly be on in the US. If you don't have a TV, go to a pub :D

i think they are broadcasted in US, but at crazy hours. I remember waking up at 2 or 3 in the working to catch the US team (when they made a stir by winning a game or two)

Audio said:

I dunno if they call them pubs here. :laugh: Anyway, I guess I'll just have to google the info to find out what channel I can get the World Cup on. I miss those days back home with my dad and uncles drinking beer and eating barbeque. The best part is when the team (we're supporting) scores a goal. You can hear hundreds of neighbors screaming ITS A GOOOOOOOOOOOAL! Then at the end of the matches that the Eagles win, there would be young guys (thugs) on the streets, shirts off, music blaring singing the Eagles' praises and dancing all over the place. The best part is when they ALMOST score, you can hear hundreds of people tens of houses away shouting ITS A...OOOOOOOOOOOH, then come the curses that SDN won't permit me to type and even if I did, most of you would not understand since most are in my native language! :laugh: The World cup is one of those times when the whole country is truly united, moslems and christians hug each other on the streets and share TVs, beef and beer. Oh, now I'm home sick! :oops:

Another good thing about those high tension games is: its the only, ONLY time I get to see grown men CRY! Its hilarious! These "tough" guys wont cry at funerals but you should see them all messed up because of some soccer match. :laugh:

howui3 said:
I'm going to Greece for a month. I figure after this summer it will be research or externship projects, so I am making this one memorable!

wow are you serious?that's where I might be going this summer with my friend! Where in Greece are you gonna be staying at? me hopefully Santorini!

ramona_k said:
wow are you serious?that's where I might be going this summer with my friend! Where in Greece are you gonna be staying at? me hopefully Santorini!

Since I am going for a while, I will try to get as many island as I can. But Athens (sight seeing) and Santorini (partying) are for sore sure!

howui3 said:
Since I am going for a while, I will try to get as many island as I can. But Athens (sight seeing) and Santorini (partying) are for sore sure!

I really cant wait for this summer. I did not party in Santorini though I didnt know there's much partyin goes on there..This time i'll be going with a native so I know all the cool things to do :laugh:

duh? said:

I actually just graduated and got in and will start Aug 2006.

I am not doin a think until then.. Ive worked enough.

starvinstudent said:
I actually just graduated and got in and will start Aug 2006.

I am not doin a think until then.. Ive worked enough.
You got that right! :laugh: Hey don't you think you'd get bored though? It is a long time till August.

rajmahal2004 said:

Man I am so jealous....... around the world in 80 days, not fair, not fair :laugh:

DUBS said:

Yea right....$18/hr......i work at sears dental and make $8/hr......they pay DA's horrible there but pay the providers well i guess

dentalguy said:
Yea right....$18/hr......i work at sears dental and make $8/hr......they pay DA's horrible there but pay the providers well i guess

Yeah right. The providers get screwed too, and so do the patients. I knew someone who worked for sears dental and they said they start aroun 80k!!! I think sears dental and the like cheapen the dental profession and are an insult to the years and $$ dentists spend to get their education.

i'm going to florida for a week after graduation :) , then to mexico for a week :D , then hoping to get a summer internship at merck to get some money in my bank account :mad: .

I plan on doing as many spur of the moment activities and trips that I can think of. Also going to lots of BoSox games, playing PS2, and partyin. Have to enjoy my friends and family while I still can. :thumbup:

$18/hr? wow! i work full time as dental assistant at a private practice in LA and i get paid $14/hr. and that's with 2 years of experience and certified training at a dental vocational school.

ramona_k said:

Why are you advertising our secret honeymoon on the internet??