Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

What are your plans for this summer?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by JohnMadden, Feb 13, 2007.

1. JohnMadden

JohnMadden Political Refugee
    2+ Year Member

I was interested in finding out what fellow SDNers are doing the summer before starting med school?

I was considering doing something "productive" but then I changed my mind. Right now, I'm leaning towards working part-time at golf resort in Hilton Head (free golf all summer!) and travelling to Southeast Asia.

2. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You should work for the airline if traveling is what you'd like to do. I hear that employees can grab any standby tickets for free and ride along

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. baylormed

baylormed On the Search
    5+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I'm going to take a vacation, maybe work to make a little money before medical school, and most importantly, I am planning on having my first (legal **ahem**...in the US) drink of my life. Two SDNers have offered to get me wasted already for the first time...isn't this website great? :laugh:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. armybound

armybound urologist.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I won't be going to med school next year, so this is a good question.

I want to visit my girlfriend over the summer (who goes to Vanderbilt) but I need to do something that could potentially be useful for my med school application.

5. FemalesCANTDriv

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    dude... i might get to go to iran this summer to meet my extended family for the first time (and my only living grandparent)... i just hope all is well with the government and whatnot.... ill prolly also be working at kaplan if they dont piss me off too much... i swear, our kaplan center sucks so bad... we just had a new center manager get fired after 2 wks for coming to work drunk and chewing someone out... LOL :laugh: plus, u dont get paid enough for dealing with pplz ****!:thumbdown:

6. ReachingTruth

ReachingTruth My Future Rests on Hope
    2+ Year Member

Wait around for the waitlist to come thru. I just need one :(

7. OP
    OP
    JohnMadden

2+ Year Member

Do they have good golf courses in Iran?

Seriously, that sounds like a very fulfilling experience if you get to go.

8. FemalesCANTDriv

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    LOL... i have no clue. never been before. if i get to go, ill let you know. ya i think it will be great for my life to get to finally go.

9. CagedBird

CagedBird Don't Worry, Be Happy
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Umm, FemalesCANTDriv...I don't appreciate that sn :oops: hehe, it's okay though..my brother says that all the time, I will just comfort myself in knowing I am the exception.

I don't know what I will do, I was thinking about doing something productive because I could use a little $$$ before I am totally broke in med school...

10. FemalesCANTDriv

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    lol... sorry bout the sn... it woulda been people in ginormous trucks in texas cant drive but thats a bit too long.... i just think these types of stereotypes are funny and minimally offensive... im sure u drive just fine

and dont worry, i tell my sister all the time she can drive too

11. photo_girl07

photo_girl07 Western Blot Queen
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i wish summer started tomm...I'm losing my game....oh so distracted (senioritis to the extreme). When summer does come around, I plan the usual...traveling, photographing, staying active :cool:

Can't wait! :laugh:

12. FemalesCANTDriv

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    dude... thats a great john mayer song in ure sig :thumbup:

13. degoo_

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Trying to plan my busiest and most productive summer ever. Continue current research, pick up new research position (hopefully, its clinical too), try my hand at research in the social sciences (water issues), teach for TPR, and goto wedding in Geneva (with a little backpacking)!

14. EBI831

EBI831 legend in the making
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    we are summer plan twinners. im gonna go to africa to visit my extended fam (some for the first time, most not) and going to meet my only living grandparent again after 17 years. i also will be working for kaplan at home. hopefully they won't be drunk or hopefully they will don't know if its a bad thing to liven up the job

15. FemalesCANTDriv

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    whoa... im totally freaked out right now.... sdn is like the twilight zone right now.... *nee nee nee noo nee nee nee noo* (sorry that was my sad attempt at the music)

what country are you going to?

16. Richard Dawkins is a selfish fool.

17. FemalesCANTDriv

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    LOL :laugh:

... so is Ted Haggard

18. OP
    OP
    JohnMadden

2+ Year Member

bump.

Does anyone have any exciting/unique plans for this summer?

19. RuthP

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    everything I won't be able to do once med school starts.... :eek:

I plan on traveling (west coast, europe, caribbean, maybe israel). Also hoping to get my divemaster certification, and possibly also certifying as a personal trainer. Two things I've always wanted to do but never had time to do.... and lots of sleeping, earning some $ somewhere or another, running (training for a to-be-determined potential marathon in the fall) and probably packing up and moving! Whew... tired just thinking about it all!

20. dago

dago University of Kentucky
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    i'm gonna be a dharma bum

21. cavgirl

cavgirl cavalier
    2+ Year Member

I'm planning to go on a medical trip to Central America, shadow an orthopedic surgeon, go to Canada (I go there once every year), and study Orgo.

22. MirrorTodd

MirrorTodd It's a gas.
    Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I'm going, going, back, back to Cali, Cali. :D

23. FemalesCANTDriv

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i think its im going going back to back to cali cali... but nice tupac song.

EDIT: wait is that tupac?

24. MirrorTodd

MirrorTodd It's a gas.
    Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Haven't listened to the song in a while, however I do know that it is a Biggie rap. Remember, Tupac was already in Cali.

25. kochkine

7+ Year Member

i'm going to hike most if not all of the appalachian trail starting from maine and ending in georgia; anyone want to tag along?

-serge

26. FemalesCANTDriv

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    LOL... god i knew it was biggie! plz excuse my n00bishness :thumbup:

27. OP
    OP
    JohnMadden

2+ Year Member

28. colliea21

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    research at university of wisconsin...with real, alive... RATS!!!:D

29. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    lol I'm actually doing research with rats right now. What branch of medicine is your research for? Mine is in neurosurgery so we get to do the whole skull-drilling thing. It's pretty neat:thumbup:

30. colliea21

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

I'm dealing with viscoelastic properties of mouse carotid arteries. i wont get to do the skull-drilling thing, but I'll make sure I ask for an opportunity to do so!

31. Green Pirate

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    neat. do you know what kinds of procedures you'll be doing to test the viscoelastic properties? I just find this sort of stuff interesting.

32. colliea21

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i have to read lots of stuff first, I'll let you know!

33. Green Pirate

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    yeah there's always lots of reading involved. you'll probably have to take an online animal testing course too. That only takes a couple days though. Have fun with the research though, mate.