What are your reasons for becoming a Physician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LabMonster

Clinically relevant.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
While reading a crappy thread (yeah I started it..) I realized it might be interesting to find out why you all have decided to put yourselves through this challenge.

I realized within the last few years that an MD would give me the mobility and power to do anything that was within my scope of interest. I like the idea of learning for a lifetime; never resting on one's laurels - and in this time of medical advancement - how can you?

The people are obviously a big part of it. What I've realized is that "patients" are just like any one of us, they are "us".

When you work anywhere, there is an invisible line drawn between us and them, client and provider. There is an unspoken agreement that the client stays on one side, and the provider stays on the other. This agreement states we will BS each other into thinking we really care and we have a meaningful business relationship. The allure of medicine, to me, is that I will know what to do for a patient and that line will blur. The patient will accept my decisions and allow me into their world - only briefly, but sincerely, enough that I learn from them and enjoy what I am doing.

Make sense?

Members don't see this ad.

1) Cut people up.

2) Poke their insides.

3) Not go to jail.

i want to help people.

To the OP,

I think several threads have been started about this same topic. You may want to use the "Search" function, as I'm sure you'd be able to get the answers you're looking for :)