What are your required fourth year rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ypo.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

Just wondering what your required rotations are in fourth year.

My school requires 4 weeks of advanced medicine/adult CCU and four weeks of advanced surgery. I'm thinking of putting them off until after Christmas so that I can do subi's and other electives before interviewing. Was wondering if residency programs would care about this.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello.

My school requires 4 weeks of advanced medicine/adult CCU and four weeks of advanced surgery. I'm thinking of putting them off until after Christmas so that I can do subi's and other electives before interviewing. Was wondering if residency programs would care about this.

My school requires 4 weeks each of:
Advanced Internal Medicine
Advanced Family Practice
Emergency Medicine
Geriatrics

Pretty much everyone takes either Advanced Family or Adv Internal as prep for Step 2, then puts the rest off until after sub-i's/aways. I'd imagine this is better than doing requires simply because they're required...

Medically related Sub-I (IM, family med, or peds)
Surgically related Sub-I
Integrated selective (class that combines different specialties, most sound annoyingly dumb)
Medicine (outpatient or inpatient, whichever wasn't done 3rd year)
4 months of electives (5 if you took a vacation 3rd year)

Edit: because I was at the hospital when I posted this last night, I forgot some things.

Members don't see this ad :)
Three Sub-I's each 3 weeks in duration in whatever you choose, for a total of nine weeks.
Then 21 weeks which can be filled with electives of your choice.

4 weeks: Sub-I (med or peds)
4 weeks: EM
4 weeks: ICU
2 weeks: PM&R
16 weeks: electives

Man, I'm so jealous looking at what you guys have posted.

In-State Required Rotations

Emergency Medicine 1 Month

Internal Medicine 1 Month

Obstetrics & Gynecology 1 Month

Pediatrics 1 Month

Medical Subspecialty Elective 1 Month

In-State or Out-of-State Required Rotations

Medical Subspecialty Elective 1 Month

Surgical Subspecialty Elective 1 Month

Primary Care Elective

(FP, IM, Pediatrics, or Ob/Gyn) 1 Month

Open Elective 2 Months

Three Sub-I's each 3 weeks in duration in whatever you choose, for a total of nine weeks.
Then 21 weeks which can be filled with electives of your choice.

I read this thinking it looked strangely familiar. :)

4 wks each: ER, Ambulatory, and Sub-I (either primary care or surgical). Then we have to complete 5 4-wk electives.

8 wks Ambulatory
8 wks ER
4 wks rural/underserved
4 wks Surgical selective (surgery subspecialty, IR, or anesthesia)
4 wks Primary care selective (in any core subject)
4 wks Medicine selective (medicine subspecialty)
16 wks elective (def not enough time, and it's SCHEDULED.... meaning most of my class only has 2 electives before the end of interview season. Ew.)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
4 wks Neuro
4 wks Surgery (with autopsy)
4 wks EM
4 wks Ambulatory selective
4 wks AI
4 wks Basic Science/Humanities selective

I think my school wins for chillest 4th year. We only have two required 4 weeks: sub i-medicine and critical care. We have 40 wks of elective time 4th year of which we need 20 weeks of elective to graduate. Most of us do 4wks of elective 3rd year so in the end we have to do 16wks of electives. What we do with that other time is up to us (aways, research, electives, VACATION).

on this end, we have the following required 4th year rotations:

4 weeks Intensive Care Unit
4 weeks Family Medicine
4 weeks Radiology
4 weeks Capstone (which serves as an pre-introduction to residency; this is a new
course, and replaces the formerly required senior Psychiatry)

the remainder of our time:
20 weeks of electives (divided into 1-month rotations)

Totally jealous of all those who don't have the locked in fourth year:

At my program we've got the following:
4 weeks required Medicine Sub I
4 weeks required Surgery
6 weeks required 'rural' preceptorship aka mostly family practice
and then if you weren't able to schedule it in third year you have to do one of the following:
6 weeks 'neuroscience' which is this weird bastard child of neurology, neurosurgery, optho, neuro-radiology, and rehabilitation medicine.
or 2 weeks radiology and 2 weeks Anaesthesia.

Oh, well thank goodness it is almost all over!!!

Some silly capstone course.
So during our clinical years, we have to do all our cores (duh), 20 weeks of electives (4 of which can count from our pre-clinical electives), and a 4 week sub-i which counts towards part of the 20 weeks of elective credit.

My school required one primary care, a senior medicine and a senior surgery rotation (all one month). We also had to do at least one senior month at our university hospital too. Most of us did geriatric medicine at our university hospital and did senior medicine and senior surgery early in fourth year. This left us on electives when residency interviews came around. We were not allowed to take time off from senior medicine or senior surgery for residency interviews.

I did away rotations in cities that were cheap to fly out of (Minneapolis, Baltimore, Chicago, Boston) when it came time for interviews. This cut down considerably on the flight costs.

One month critical care
One month Oncology
One month Skin & Bones (derm/ortho)
One month Sub-I (choice from medicine, family, surgery, peds or psych)

8 wks Ambulatory
8 wks ER
4 wks rural/underserved
4 wks Surgical selective (surgery subspecialty, IR, or anesthesia)
4 wks Primary care selective (in any core subject)
4 wks Medicine selective (medicine subspecialty)
16 wks elective (def not enough time, and it's SCHEDULED.... meaning most of my class only has 2 electives before the end of interview season. Ew.)

Wow- is it me or does this sound like Third year part 2?

Sorry about the limited elective time. It must be a real pain for people thinking about one of the non-primary care fields (ROAD).

Good luck.

Sorry about the limited elective time. It must be a real pain for people thinking about one of the non-primary care fields (ROAD).

Good luck.

We get 12 weeks of elective time during out third-year, so if you work it out right you can actually get some pretty good exposure to the non-primary care stuff. Otherwise, yes it sounds very much like third-year. ha.

We have a pretty nice MS4 year... Zero required rotations. 4 wks of an inpt sub-i and 4 wks of an outpt sub-i, both of your choosing. 18 wks of other electives of your choosing.
10 wks of vacation time + 3 wks off for Christmas.

My school wins. The only requirements in fourth year are your acting internship + one "back-to-the-classroom" course that is pretty much universally considered a blow-off, to be taken in spring of the fourth year around match time. The rest of our time is to be taken as we please.

4 weeks ER
4 weeks neuro/rehab
4 weeks outpatient sub-I (any field)
4 weeks inpatient sub-I (any field)
16 weeks electives
2 weeks vacation before graduation
8 weeks vacation to be scheduled whenever

Good luck.

It is 3rd year part deux. 16 weeks isn't bad, I just wish we could schedule them when we wanted to. Just thinking about it makes me want to snort Lexapro.

We do 4 weeks of:
Emergency Medicine
Medicine SubInternship
Rural Clinic

8 weeks of:
Urban Health Clinic

We get 4 weeks total of vacation for the year and then the rest is electives.

Do most places allow you to take off for res interviews without a hassle? I mean specifically the rotation sites. Our school itsself doesn't give us anytime off then unless you give up your winter vacation, is that the norm?

We do 4 weeks of:
Emergency Medicine
Medicine SubInternship
Rural Clinic

8 weeks of:
Urban Health Clinic

We get 4 weeks total of vacation for the year and then the rest is electives.

Do most places allow you to take off for res interviews without a hassle? I mean specifically the rotation sites. Our school itsself doesn't give us anytime off then unless you give up your winter vacation, is that the norm?

We are allowed up to 2 interview/USMLE study months in 4th year.

We get 5 months off. From June to June we need to take five four week long electives and 2 rotations. I didn't realize how lucky we were.

Hello.

1 month of emergency medicine & 2 months of community hospital.

9 months of electives (up to 2 months of vacation.)

I agree that you should do some audition rotations, but don't overdo it. 3 is enough.

Residencies could care less when you do those required rotations, but keep in mind the later you put it off, the worse you will do in them. As senioritis and matchitis kick in, your performance drops...

4 weeks ICU or ER
4 weeks sub-I
12 weeks elective
X weeks vacation (I can't remember exactly but there's some total spread over M3/M4)

We also have:
4 weeks neuro +
2 weeks each of rads, gas, derm, ortho, ophtho, lab med / EKG, oto, and urology

which are taken either M3 or M4 but are required.

Hello.

2 sub-i's (8 weeks total)
16 weeks other clinical electives

I think the LCME requires 72 weeks of clinical coursework for graduation. If you figure 3rd year is 48 weeks of clinicals, then 24 in the 4th year has got you covered - leaving you with 28 weeks of Rock Band.

Some silly capstone course.
So during our clinical years, we have to do all our cores (duh), 20 weeks of electives (4 of which can count from our pre-clinical electives), and a 4 week sub-i which counts towards part of the 20 weeks of elective credit.

also, 4 two-week selectives, two of which are tagged onto our surgery core rotation.

my school's requirements:
1. emergency medicine
2. sub-internship in internal medicine, pediatrics, surgery, or family medicine
3. critical care/ICU
4. four months of electives
5. two months for an independent study project

Requirements of Selectives:

1) 4 weeks critical care (NICU, PICU, MICU)
2) 4 weeks inpatient: IM, FP, Peds
3) 4 weeks sub-specialty: Cards, GI, MFM, etc.
4) 4 weeks ambulatory: anything

I think my school wins for chillest 4th year. We only have two required 4 weeks: sub i-medicine and critical care. We have 40 wks of elective time 4th year of which we need 20 weeks of elective to graduate. Most of us do 4wks of elective 3rd year so in the end we have to do 16wks of electives. What we do with that other time is up to us (aways, research, electives, VACATION).

I am very jealous, too bad it is too late to transfer. :D

My school requires:
4 weeks of EM
4 weeks of a Sub-I in one of the main 3rd year clerkships
4 weeks of ICU
3 weeks of Neuro (which can be taken 3rd year, during elective time)
3 weeks of Ambulatory
20 weeks of electives (some of which can be taken during 3rd year)

Our's was fantastic:

4 weeks ER
4 weeks geriatrics

And that was it.

Hello.

Wow... time really flies! I remember when you were a first year med student :)

Congrats on heading toward the end!

Wow... time really flies! I remember when you were a first year med student :)

Congrats on heading toward the end!

Yeah. Still thinking about going into the same specialty, too. ;):)

I think I've got you beat:

8 four week electives (9 if you don't want a vacation month) with zero requirements that they be sub-i's or critical care or anything else like that.

The only real requirement for fourth year is a single four week Basic Science Selective - They actually changed the name this year to "Senior Selective" because so many options weren't even basic science in nature. You can write a PBL case and get credit for the month. A lot of people do an anatomy dissection which takes them all of a week to complete, then use the rest of the month as vacation. I opted to serve as a TA for the M1's to fulfill this requirement and while I'll have to come in to help out on OSCE's and grade H&P's, it's a free four weeks when I plug it into my schedule...

We had neuro during third year.
12 four week rotations including 4 weeks of vacation and 4 weeks of board study
4 weeks EM
2x 4 week AIs in two different specialties
4 weeks ICU

-8 weeks family practice or 4 weeks FP and 4 weeks rural med/international med
-20-28 weeks of true electives