1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

What are your Study habits?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by MaluJGNY, Nov 26, 2002.

1. MaluJGNY

MaluJGNY Junior Member

I'm fairly new on the site...So dont get mad if I'm asking a question that someone else has asked before. How many hours do you guys study every day? I'm taking 4 classes in college right now...3 of them are science courses with labs... That just about takes away my whole week studying for those... When do you guys find time to study for the MCAT? If anyone has a good work ethic...lemme know what you do...and how you stay focused... Holla back at ya'boy!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DoubleDoctor

DoubleDoctor Ceder Dog's Daddy
    7+ Year Member

Well, I was a Biochem/Micro/Molecular major and in all truthfulness the best thing that I did was to learn the info that I had in my various science classes well. If you can learn how to think analytically and critically and retain the info we should learn in undergrad then you have a real head start for the MCAT. I did take a bunch of those practice tests (they ended up pointing out a couple of very specific areas of weakness, for me it was optics and capacitors) so I reviewed those areas in my textbook and notes and I also reviewed the A and P stuff because I had not had it since high school and although I remembered most of it, I had to brush up on the particulars like where stuff comes out in the kidney and hormonal stuff. Just set up a schedule for study and taking the practice test and stick to it. Good luck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. ivyleague22ny

ivyleague22ny Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Back in school, I seriously studied 7-8 hours a night for
    a load of 3 upper-division bio classes, one physics
    auto-tutorial class, and one humanities class.
    And that doesn't include the coffee/e-mail breaks.
    Also it was pretty normal to everyone at my school (even
    non-science majors) up until 3 or 4am in the morning studying.

I knew I would never have time to study for the MCAT during
    school and I was more concerned with doing well in my
    grades, my research, passing the EMT exam, volunteer work, and performing well at our a capella concerts.

I only took the MCAT (April) after I graduated while working.
    I was a good decision as I was able to soley devote my time
    to studying around 5-6 hours after work (i treated it like homework and my work as going to classes) and got a competitive score (double digits across)...

I did take time off college, but I think ADCOMS appreciated that I prepared thoroughly for everything and made a sound decision of pursuing medicine after experiencing the "real, working world."

Also financially it wasn't a burden to my parents, since I paid
    for the MCAT, AMCAS, sec'ds with my own money from work, plus I got to pay off my credit card bills, some of my college loans, and saves tons of money (i moved back home to mom and pop).

Luckily, I interviewed early at my top-choice school last October
    and got in a week ago, so I only spent money one 1 plane ticket.

I remember in college, all the pre-meds were stressed with getting into med school right after college. All I can say is
    ENJOY YOUR COLLEGE LIFE: friends you meet, your classes,
    your professors, etc.

Also don't feel bad if you have to take time off college before heading to med school. For me, I definitely needed the break (2 years) and am glad that I had time to recooperate from the stress of pre-med undergrad at a cutt-throat ivy league school and matured individually before entering med school this fall.

So to answer your question, if can handle studying for both the MCAT and classes go for it. But if you think you can't, I would just worry getting an awesome GPA for now and taking the MCAT in the summer or in April after you graduate.

5. ivyleague22ny

ivyleague22ny Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Back in school, I seriously studied 7-8 hours a night for
    a load of 3 upper-division bio classes, one physics
    auto-tutorial class, and one humanities class.
    And that doesn't include the coffee/e-mail breaks.
    Also it was pretty normal to everyone at my school (even
    non-science majors) up until 3 or 4am in the morning studying.

I knew I would never have time to study for the MCAT during
    school and I was more concerned with doing well in my
    grades, my research, passing the EMT exam, volunteer work, and performing well at our a capella concerts.

I only took the MCAT (April) after I graduated while working.
    I was a good decision as I was able to soley devote my time
    to studying around 5-6 hours after work (i treated it like homework and my work as going to classes) and got a competitive score (double digits across)...

I did take time off college, but I think ADCOMS appreciated that I prepared thoroughly for everything and made a sound decision of pursuing medicine after experiencing the "real, working world."

Also financially it wasn't a burden to my parents, since I paid
    for the MCAT, AMCAS, sec'ds with my own money from work, plus I got to pay off my credit card bills, some of my college loans, and saves tons of money (i moved back home to mom and pop).

Luckily, I interviewed early at my top-choice school last October
    and got in a week ago, so I only spent money one 1 plane ticket.

I remember in college, all the pre-meds were stressed with getting into med school right after college. All I can say is
    ENJOY YOUR COLLEGE LIFE: friends you meet, your classes,
    your professors, etc.

Also don't feel bad if you have to take time off college before heading to med school. For me, I definitely needed the break (2 years) and am glad that I had time to recooperate from the stress of pre-med undergrad at a cutt-throat ivy league school and matured individually before entering med school this fall.

So to answer your question, if can handle studying for both the MCAT and classes go for it. But if you think you can't, I would just worry getting an awesome GPA for now and taking the MCAT in the summer or in April after you graduate.

6. MaluJGNY

MaluJGNY Junior Member

thanks for the info buddy....it was motivating!