What are your studying suggestions/tips during IM residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymousdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is your outside-the-hospital study method like as a IM resident?

What suggestions, tricks or tips would you give someone just starting IM residency? (Don't worry, I already plan to live up the remainder of 4th year til the very end!)

Did you have a study plan with goals? (I know a guy who wanted to read Harrison's his intern year and had daily page goals or daily MKSAP goals)

What resources have you found most helpful for outside the hospital study during residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Good question, some one please answer, we are your future interns lol

I read a mix of MKSAP, Current and Dynamed. Harrison's was too dense for me. I read parts of Harrison's as a resident for topics of personal interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read a mix of MKSAP, Current and Dynamed. Harrison's was too dense for me. I read parts of Harrison's as a resident for topics of personal interest.

What's current?

Also I heard its best till wait till pgy2 to purchase mksap cause new editions come out(although i'm not sure how often) plus they are pretty expensive and take some time to save up for

What's current?

Also I heard its best till wait till pgy2 to purchase mksap cause new editions come out(although i'm not sure how often) plus they are pretty expensive and take some time to save up for

MKSAP 16 was released 6 months ago and would be a decent investment, given that a new one likely wont come out till the new intern year (those starting in July) graduates.

I also found Annals In the Clinic useful during different times in my training. Its a succint, fairly evidence based resource, that can help you draw up references too for rounds. Their tables are helpful as a one page reference resources for the properties and advantages/disadvantages of different medications e.g. depression, insomnia, CHF, etc.

It seems like Harrison's is the most popular reference, but I am curious as to why people tend to prefer this text.

Has anyone ever tried davidsons?

Cecil all the way (assuming you have time to go through the book during residency).

In my experience, principles of medicine (as you'd learn from textbooks) are very different from knowledge that you need to pass boards - and for the later, you inevitably need ACP material.

OP before you go dropping cash on books like this (that are updated yearly) investigate the university library's resources where you will do residency. For example, my medical school has access to things like access medicine which have all these books already online for us. It also has a ton of other textbooks as well and I found it to be a great resource.