What are your thoughts on US healthcare?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
damn, I posted this right before going to bed and I check at lunch to see nearly 50 responses. Did not expect that. I'll have to find sometime tonight to read through the good, the bad, and the ugly statements ;)

Members don't see this ad.

So what exactly are you proposing healthcare-wise? I’m not clear on this...I seem to be clearer about what you don’t want.

So is it amount of personal income correlating with access to and quality of coverage that you support? Are we talking Darwinian ideas about survival of the “fittest”/richest?
Of course, and I've been clear. Things cost money and those with more money can choose to pay for more/better things. That's not a new proposal.

I consistently have patients say they aren't worried about the costs of their bad behaviors because "that's covered" or about it's impact on their income because "I'm working on getting my disability set up"
So you're saying no scientific evidence. I'm pretty sure we've all (hopefully) been trained that anecdotes don't equal scientific support, especially given our nature towards negative bias.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you're saying no scientific evidence. I'm pretty sure we've all (hopefully) been trained that anecdotes don't equal scientific support, especially because of our nature towards negative bias.
I certainly have a negative bias about the notion that people have a right to my wallet. That's accurate

More important than what those policies mean about their learned behavior, they simply don't have a moral claim to their neighbors money regardless of why they need it.

I'm not sure what there is to agree or disagree on. We have mounds of actual, real data about this. There are entire branches of academia built on behavioral economics.
I think we're really discussing the end reaction to the patient's behavior as opposed to why they chose their behavior. Frankly, from an economics standpoint, I don't think the "why" matters even a little bit. The "why" can matter in terms of motivational interviewing and patient counseling but none of it means their neighbor owes them health care. That last few words is the part that really is the big diversion of opinions

Of course, and I've been clear. Things cost money and those with more money can choose to pay for more/better things. That's not a new proposal.
I think that maybe I could get behind these principles if everybody in this country were born into equal circumstances, but that is simply not true.

Reactions: 5 users
I think we're really discussing the end reaction to the patient's behavior as opposed to why they chose their behavior. Frankly, from an economics standpoint, I don't think the "why" matters even a little bit. The "why" can matter in terms of motivational interviewing and patient counseling but none of it means their neighbor owes them health care. That last few words is the part that really is the big diversion of opinions

Not really, we were discussing the notion that Randian views on people's decision making when it comes to economics, is simply wrong. Randian worldviews are simplistic, and fail to see nuances in the majority of normal human behavior, particularly when it comes to economic decision making. It's like thinking that free market capitalism exists, or works in it's purest form, it's simply laughable given what we know about human behavior.

Reactions: 1 users
I think that maybe I could get behind these principles if everybody in this country were born into equal circumstances, but that is simply not true.
we do agree that everyone has a very different starting point in life, despite the same legal access to economic possibility in the US there is definitely a different starting place

• Hmm
Not really, we were discussing the notion that Randian views on people's decision making when it comes to economics, is simply wrong. Randian worldviews are simplistic, and fail to see nuances in the majority of normal human behavior, particularly when it comes to economic decision making. It's like thinking that free market capitalism exists, or works in it's purest form, it's simply laughable given what we know about human behavior.
I think if your metric is "do all people make the most coldly logical BEST decision?". Of course not, hell no. Some people are dumb, some people simply have different values, some have different life responsibilities, etc etc

I mean people are wignsuiting through holes in cliffs, people STILL smoke. People do ridiculous stuff all the time.

I'm still leaning toward more people are likely to make a slightly responsible decision if the consequences can't be avoided for the bad behavior. I don't publish in that area, so admittedly conjecture based off observed anecdotes there

Reactions: 1 user
I'm still leaning toward more people are likely to make a slightly responsible decision if the consequences can't be avoided for the bad behavior. I don't publish in that area, so admittedly conjecture based off observed anecdotes there

This is where the published literature massively disagrees with you.

Members don't see this ad :)

Folks were adamant that the death penalty would have the same effect on murder rates, but that didn't pan out as hoped. Plenty of research indicates that people are really bad at anticipating and predicting future negative consequences for their behavior.

Reactions: 4 users
cool, let's have that specific discussion then. Explain what legal accesses are different, maybe you'll win a legislative supporter to a portion of your belief system

We'd have to break that out into a whole other thread/discussion regarding how legal decisions vary greatly by different demographic variables (SES, ethnicity, etc). And, eventually that discussion would fall into the intellectual black hole that is the SPF forum. I'll debate it all day over a drink or such, but I've no desire to go to the place where highly educated people go to have the dumbest discussions this side of a youtube comment thread.

Folks were adamant that the death penalty would have the same effect on murder rates, but that didn't pan out as hoped.
and that's a fair point. I always though the deterrent argument was a poor one anyway. The best argument against the death penalty is an incompetent justice system being trusted to get it right. If I trusted prosecution/judges more, I'd be really ok with the death penalty because "that's what you get when you act like that".....but alas, that's not what we have

We'd have to break that out into a whole other thread/discussion regarding how legal decisions vary greatly by different demographic variables (SES, ethnicity, etc). And, eventually that discussion would fall into the intellectual black hole that is the SPF forum. I'll debate it all day over a drink or such, but I've no desire to go to the place where highly educated people go to have the dumbest discussions this side of a youtube comment thread.
I would likely enjoy that conversation very much (maybe moreso as we got deeper into the scotch).

Thanks for the good talk

and that's a fair point. I always though the deterrent argument was a poor one anyway. The best argument against the death penalty is an incompetent justice system being trusted to get it right. If I trusted prosecution/judges more, I'd be really ok with the death penalty because "that's what you get when you act like that".....but alas, that's not what we have
I think this same argument could easily be applied to your position in this thread.

I would likely enjoy that conversation very much (maybe moreso as we got deeper into the scotch).

Thanks for the good talk
It's something I do often with a good buddy here who has some fairly opposed viewpoints, though he doesn't like liquor, so I drink the scotch and he sticks to the beer.

I'm off to a meeting cross town, later all.

I think this same argument could easily be applied to your position in this thread.
if the govt was forcing bad health on people, I might agree.

But our genetics and decisions tend to do most of that, neither or which are my neighbors fault

if the govt was forcing bad health on people, I might agree.

But our genetics and decisions tend to do most of that, neither or which are my neighbors fault
There are lots of factors outside of genetics and decision-making that affect our health, like ses, education, random accidents, etc., many of which the government has contributed to.

There are lots of factors outside of genetics and decision-making that affect our health, like ses, education, random accidents, etc., many of which the government has contributed to.
at this point everyone with basic level intelligence/health has the ability to prop their kids up a rung further on the economic ladder, at some point we have to stop assuming it is govts job to fix everyone

• Dislike
I'm sure buggy whip manufacturing produced some good jobs, too.

And it was replaced by equally good manufacturing jobs in the auto industry through innovation. Not legislated out of existence by the government. So, a poor example of your point.

I'm hearing a lot about personal politics, but I am curious about what people think will happen to the practice of clinical psychology if Medicare for All is passed?

I'm hearing a lot about personal politics, but I am curious about what people think will happen to the practice of clinical psychology if Medicare for All is passed?
I can't speak to the field as a whole, but in my niche area, the state Medicaid plans (about 90% of my clients) are the easiest to work with in terms of authorizations and coverage. Less runaround, and less denials than commercial plans (that are all, ultimately, overturned after extra work and lots of upset parents). Reimbursement rates are comparable.

One thing I'm wondering is how it will impact access and engagement in mental health treatment. As a VA provider, we definitely face issues with people being overtreated and not being able to "deny people care." I wonder if that would extend to the general population with universal coverage. I assume not because the only thing that would change would be the payer, but...

at this point everyone with basic level intelligence/health has the ability to prop their kids up a rung further on the economic ladder, at some point we have to stop assuming it is govts job to fix everyone

Mine (and many others') cross-sectioned existence as human beings in the U S of A says this is wholly untrue, and ignores several hindering factors against the propping, least of which is generational impact of oppression. Propping up a rung further is moot if the same distance in socioeconomic divide is maintained due to all our different baselines. It will only maintain the current socioeconomic hierarchy that is partly responsible for the healthcare access disparity and at best be a lateral move - these same problems will simply be playing themselves out on a different dimension of the SES scale.

And here I was fully determined to stay out of this as it clearly is one of those conversations deeply entrenched in myopia lol damn y'all to hell!

Reactions: 3 users
Part of the challenge with universal healthcare is there are really two separate discussions/arguments.
1) What is the optimal healthcare system/strategy for curtailing cost increases and addressing other problems.
2) What is fair/moral/ethical/appropriate when it comes to paying for it

These are not the same question and can have very different answers. All discussions about healthcare inevitably devolve to #2 (understandably so), but those are really orthogonal questions and I think there is value in splitting them out. I agree that forcing some people to subsidize others poor behavior is immoral. I also believe letting some people die from things that might be preventable (and who may or may some degree of responsibility for their condition) because of concerns about payment is immoral. In my mind, the latter clearly trumps the former. However I also do not believe "unlimited free healthcare of all forms for everyone" is an optimal solution. At the same time, it really is a completely separate point from what the most <effective> solution would be. (Note that I am deliberately exaggerating to make my point in the examples above and not suggesting that anyone is actually arguing those cases).

I think part of the reasons discussions devolve into moralistic discussions of payment/survival is because we really don't know how to fix the mess that we have made so it is easier to discuss morals. If we could be 100% certain that doing <X> would reduce costs and improve population health, I think discussions of #2 would subside dramatically. The unknown results is what makes #2 a more salient discussion point. There will always be folks (we may have some on this thread) who have very absolute beliefs in either direction, but I suspect they represent a microscopic (and sorry but....completely irrelevant) portion of the population.

RE: Impact on clinical psychology of Medicare for All - not to completely duck the question, but I genuinely don't feel like I can even guess at this point. What has been put out there is vague. Its been released in "campaign piece" format, which assuredly has only minimal overlap with what might eventually get passed. So I have no idea beyond <probably> improved access, but <probably> greater difficulty managing patient flow. Whether that would be good or bad for us in the long run depends on nuance we just don't have at this point.

Mine (and many others') cross-sectioned existence as human beings in the U S of A says this is wholly untrue, and ignores several hindering factors against the propping, least of which is generational impact of oppression. Propping up a rung further is moot if the same distance in socioeconomic divide is maintained due to all our different baselines. It will only maintain the current socioeconomic hierarchy that is partly responsible for the healthcare access disparity and at best be a lateral move - these same problems will simply be playing themselves out on a different dimension of the SES scale.

And here I was fully determined to stay out of this as it clearly is one of those conversations deeply entrenched in myopia lol damn y'all to hell!
your lateral move notion is simply not true. There is pretty good class mobility from generation to generation in the states

1. Having drug commercials is ridiculous
2. medical costs are a leading cause of bankruptcy, that seems important
3. the notion of 'free market' isn't even logical with how the majority of insurance markets provide coverage
4. I like the idea of a private market option for insurance
5. medical costs translate to others and government through uninsured
6. Insurance costs are inflated and don't reflect reality
7. Medication costs are prohibitive and problematic, they are over-inflated (see also, #1)

My father broke his ankle badly a few years ago and had to get a leg brace system as part of the hospital visit. The hospital billed insurance 500 for the brace. The insurance negotiated the price to 250, of which my dad was responsible for 130. The same cast could be bought directly from the company on their website for 70. Because of the requirements of the hospital, he was required to pay 130 and to have insurance pay the difference to 250. So yeh, It's a dumb system and needs reworked. I don't know what the right answer is, but this isn't it.

1. Having drug commercials is ridiculous
2. medical costs are a leading cause of bankruptcy, that seems important
3. the notion of 'free market' isn't even logical with how the majority of insurance markets provide coverage
4. I like the idea of a private market option for insurance
5. medical costs translate to others and government through uninsured
6. Insurance costs are inflated and don't reflect reality
7. Medication costs are prohibitive and problematic, they are over-inflated (see also, #1)

My father broke his ankle badly a few years ago and had to get a leg brace system as part of the hospital visit. The hospital billed insurance 500 for the brace. The insurance negotiated the price to 250, of which my dad was responsible for 130. The same cast could be bought directly from the company on their website for 70. Because of the requirements of the hospital, he was required to pay 130 and to have insurance pay the difference to 250. So yeh, It's a dumb system and needs reworked. I don't know what the right answer is, but this isn't it.
they only do that because emtala means they buy a ton of those braces they'll never get paid for and because certificate of need laws give them a local monopoly by restricting competition, govt caused those problems

they only do that because emtala means they buy a ton of those braces they'll never get paid for and because certificate of need laws give them a local monopoly by restricting competition, govt caused those problems
Your Randian thinking about health systems is interesting.

Other equally (this is rounding way down) plausible hypothesis, it is an excuse for excessive profit. Or is this where you tell me insurance, medical, and drug companies are struggling?

Your Randian thinking about health systems is interesting.

Other equally (this is rounding way down) plausible hypothesis, it is an excuse for excessive profit. Or is this where you tell me insurance, medical, and drug companies are struggling?
We all like profit. I'd gladly charge 5 times what I do now for my time if customers would still show up. One of the ways that gets avoided is a market that provides enough competition to keep me from being able to do so.

It's one of the reasons I think insurance should be personal and not through employers, I think people would pay attention more if they were paying. Same with doctors/hospitals/drugs. Cash pay primary care has insanely low pricing because the patient actually asks

your lateral move notion is simply not true. There is pretty good class mobility from generation to generation in the states

"Most Americans born in 1940 ended up better off, in real terms, than their parents at the same age. Only half of those of those born in 1980 have surpassed their parent’s family income." There's also a strong relationship between income of parents and income of children, which sort of goes against the upward mobility argument. Absolute social mobility has also actually been declining, and mobility varies by ethnic group.

A good summary with graphics of some of Chetty's findings:

Other data:

"Most Americans born in 1940 ended up better off, in real terms, than their parents at the same age. Only half of those of those born in 1980 have surpassed their parent’s family income." There's also a strong relationship between income of parents and income of children, which sort of goes against the upward mobility argument. Absolute social mobility has also actually been declining, and mobility varies by ethnic group.

Other data:

We went through the mobility of folks by quintile of income given their parent's quintile in another thread last year. Lowest quintile parents have a more than 50% of going up a quintile. Mobility is there if you work it

regression to the mean?

That would be the issue with using extreme groups as examples. Although I would imagine the effect would not be the same in the upper quintile in terms of moving down. Mostly considering the myriad of ways in which it is very easy to gain and maintain wealth if you already have it due to our very generous tax codes for investments at the top end of the SES spectrum.

That would be the issue with using extreme groups as examples. Although I would imagine the effect would not be the same in the upper quintile in terms of moving down. Mostly considering the myriad of ways in which it is very easy to gain and maintain wealth if you already have it due to our very generous tax codes for investments at the top end of the SES spectrum.
Upper quintile did tend to move down (but admittedly this was income, not assets)

Upper quintile did tend to move down (but admittedly this was income, not assets)

Exactly, because the way to accumulate net worth at higher levels of wealth is expansion of assets, not increasing base income. I'd bet the story would be different if they measured by net worth instead.

And therein lies the Ferris wheel.

I, and those tuned into the world outside of its direct benefit to them, wholeheartedly disagree with that statement. I typically hear that exact statement almost verbatim from those benefitting or primed to benefit from the current power structure which, deny as you will, was constructed and is maintained to uphold some and displace others. I really hope this is not the sentiment you are expressing to any of your patients who fall into a category of generationally oppressed. That is downright misinformation.

Other data:

MOBILITY ABSOLUTELY VARIES BY ETHNIC GROUP. And those denying that, well, see my earlier statement.

And therein lies the Ferris wheel.

I, and those tuned into the world outside of its direct benefit to them, wholeheartedly disagree with that statement. I typically hear that exact statement almost verbatim from those benefitting or primed to benefit from the current power structure which, deny as you will, was constructed and is maintained to uphold some and displace others. I really hope this is not the sentiment you are expressing to any of your patients who fall into a category of generationally oppressed. That is downright misinformation.

MOBILITY ABSOLUTELY VARIES BY ETHNIC GROUP. And those denying that, well, see my earlier statement.
you find it more beneficial to tell people they are victims of circumstance that can never change their lot in this country? Nope, I'm not doing that

• Dislike
you find it more beneficial to tell people they are victims of circumstance that can never change their lot in this country? Nope, I'm not doing that
Your complete and intentional misstating of my point further demonstrates your death grip on your ideals. I am sure it serves some function to you. And as psychologists, we all know the proper approach with which to challenge those kinds of beliefs.

So I'll let you carry on. I don't work for free :)

I'd also speculate that mobility is likely significantly mediated by factors that are quite variable. Anecdotally, my family was lower class growing up. I am now clearly several quintiles above my parents in terms of SES status. I do have several advantages that are not available to most people. An IQ >2 SDs above the mean certainly helps. There are certainly fewer avenues of mobility open to say someone on the other side of the equation. Not to say that I don't deserve to have the wealth I do as I worked my ass off along with the advantage of being intelligent. But, it's simply untrue at various levels , endogenously and exogenously, to say that everyone has the same chances or opportunities.

Long story short, call me old fashioned for believing in noblesse oblige. Also, I'll support an initiative for not making people pay into social support programs, as soon as we also support an initiative that saves the majority of my taxes from going to a bloated and ineffective defense budget/lobbying fund.

Let's not use absolutes like this to invalidate someone's position because nobody suggested that ethnoracial minorities and the poor can never move up in life. We are talking about overall patterns here.

Let's not use absolutes like this to invalidate someone's position because nobody suggested that ethnoracial minorities and the poor can never move up in life. We are talking about overall patterns here.
I'm aware of the patterns. My apologies for the imprecise speech

I’m not going to be dead from preventable things because I pay for my care, making me then also pay for other people is a violation of my property rights.

This is the most privileged statement I’ve heard in a long time. Good for YOU, glad you won’t be dead. Congrats to you. Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

This is the most privileged statement I’ve heard in a long time. Good for YOU, glad you won’t be dead. Congrats to you. Wow.

WOrking one’s tail off for 20 yrs while making reasonable financial decisions does afford one some advantages in life, “privilege” wouldn’t be my word choice

Thinking that it’s okay for people who can’t pay for healthcare to die is worse than privilege. It’s completely disregarding the value of the lives of others. I am taken aback by your beliefs.

Reactions: 2 users
Thinking that it’s okay for people who can’t pay for healthcare to die is worse than privilege. It’s completely disregarding the value of the lives of others. I am taken aback by your beliefs.

No one owes me an mri any more than they owe my food, shelter, or a car. I don’t have a right to demand goods/services from others

I support the notion of (and participate in) voluntary charity but firmly reject the idea of obligation