1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

What are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by blakemd, Apr 6, 2007.

1. blakemd

blakemd 3/4 med student
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have prior experience in the medical field, and I've been thinking seriously about attending a PA program. I'd like to be a PA prior to before becoming a doctor, I know there are several programs out there with very few pre-req's. Just so you have an idea, I'm a traditional student, very young still. Most people say I should just go for the MD, but there are many variables to consider of course.

What if my grades are not good enough for an Allopathic program and I complete a masters in PA studies. How will med schools view this on my application?

Thanks in advance for your input!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. karakhanyan

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If your ultimate goal is indeed to go for MD, then why are you going to add another 3 years (I don't really know how long PAs have to study for) to such an already long road towards medicine?

Yes, a PA applying to med school will surely be a much more competitive applicant, but the only things I would do in your case are: retake the classes I did not do so good in, exponentially increase my ECs ( and having a chance of meeting good people to recommend you in the process), and really becoming more mature as an MD applicant other than going through the long route of a PA program.

Just my 2 cents here... Good luck in whatever choice you make!:D

4. vixen26

2+ Year Member

I won't start med school until next semester but coming from a person that did a master's degree first, I can tell you that the longer you're in school the more drained you feel and the more frustrated it becomes that you are not working directly on achieving your ultimate goal. I think that if you want to be a PA then go for it, but if you truly want the MD route then focus on the essential necessities that you need to get in....plus you'll only be taking away a spot from someone that truly wants to be a PA. If you're just looking for direct hands on experience before committing maybe try an EMT.

5. aspirationMD

aspirationMD Rookie of the Year
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    PA's study for about 26-28 months post BA/BS. I agree with you here, unless he has a lot of time waiting around to be used up. I would suggest (as I may do so myself) that you retake classes you didn't do well in, do more EC's and they apply. If you find it's too difficult to get in, look to a PA degree ... maybe MD could come beyond that if you actually wanted to?

6. Tired Pigeon

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you're not that competitive for MD, your time might be better spent taking additional undergrad courses to boost your GPA.

7. beauregard

2+ Year Member

Most of the PA programs I know of are more like 24+ months long..

8. aspirationMD

aspirationMD Rookie of the Year
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

My bad! thanks for the correction ... I'm not sure why or how 15 came out of my finger tips :oops: .... I'm bad with numbers, what can I say? :laugh:

9. psipsina

psipsina Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think the one major barrier that you would face is the why MD, why not PA question. You would have to have a pretty good answer for why you devoted your time to get educated as one type of health proffessional only to apply to another health proffessional program. If you want to get a masters there are many one year programs in interesting stuff like genetics and neuroscience that are relevant to being a physician but won't open you up to this type of questioning. What specifically about a PA program is attractive to you? Do you plan to practice as a PA for a while and then apply?

10. blakemd

blakemd 3/4 med student
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Riverside College has a program that I already meet the pre-req's for. They require 2000+ hours of paid medical experience, 1 year of physiology, biology and a few other courses. They award a certificate that could possibly lead to a masters degree.

The most attractive thing about a PA program is that I can do it right now. It is 24 months, costs a little over $2,000 and they don't require a degree. I'm fairly early in my college career, just at the end of my second year. I do have a lot of college credits from highschool though. So far my grades are not that bad, not bad enough where I need to start thinking about a post-bacc program. I would definitely practice as a PA at least part time while still attending school. It just seems so appealing to me!

-Blake

11. YourGoldTeeth

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you really want to spend over two years learning things that you will have to relearn again anyway, go for it.

12. blakemd

blakemd 3/4 med student
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I wouldn't have to relearn anything as I would have just learned it. In fact it might make med school more enjoyable, perhaps allow me to learn even more.

Thanks for your input though.

13. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Agree. OP, this sounds like a very low yield path to MD compared to other options.