What are your top schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starsinnight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious.... I still have no idea. :p

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I'd like to... but I don't have to. But my list of schools is about 20 in one geographic location. And not sure which I'd like best or any other areas. So I was just hoping to get an idea of what schools everyone else likes. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well... it kind of depends on our research interests and what kind of training we're seeking.

I am still finishing up undergrad, but since no one else has answered yet, here is my list:

Top Schools :

University of New Mexico
University of Florida
University of Miami
Florida State University
University of Georgia
SUNY Buffalo
University of Maryland

Idaho State University
University of Nevada - Reno
University of Central Florida
Washington State University
University of Montana
University of Wyoming

Reach Schools:
University of Washington
University of Oregon
UCSB or any state school in california

:)

if you want official rankings, look up US news and world report listings (there's one for clinical and general psych)

also definitely check out the top underrated programs - there's a thread on it.

Cara is definitely right. It ultimately is dependent primarily on what degree (PsyD, PhD etc.) you're applying for, what your research interests are, what kind of training you'd like...many, many factors. I would suggest getting a copy of the APA's "Graduate Study in Psychology." You can easily see all of the programs that offer your degree/concentration. If you're a dork like me, once you have the list of criteria that are important for YOU, you can compare every school in the country that offers that degree on those criteria, using this book and the school's websites. What I guess I'm trying to say is, coming from someone who actually applied to 20 schools, it is way too much work to take it lightly and base it on any factor other than what is a good fit. Do your research to find the schools that are the best "fit" for you. You'll certainly hear that word a lot once you begin this process, and that's for a reason...it's the most crucial factor to the admissions committees. Good luck!

Widener University PsyD (CBT concentration)
Yeshiva University Combined School/Clinical PsyD
Lasalle University Child and Family Concentration PsyD(will investigate more)
Bryn Mawr College PhD in Clinical Developmental Psychology (not APA accredited, so I am not sure)
Chicago Professional School PsyD Child & AdolescentTrack

Reach Schools:
Indiana University of Pennsylvania PsyD
Rutgers University PsyD in Clinical Psychology
Temple University PhD

Safety Schools:
MS in Counseling Programs including Villanova (need to investigate further)

This is the list I have so far. Thoughts?

ladysky,

Why Temple PhD? They're INCREDIBLY research-focused...

I've narrowed down the APA-accredited programs in my field (n=57) to a list that includes all seemingly good (n=22) or possibly good (n=14) research matches. Investigating them a bit more for fit through faculty contact and seeing who's taking students next year will determine where I'll apply. I still need to decide where/if I'll apply to EdS programs.

Just because they are considered the world leaders in CBT for Anxiety Disorder treatment which is my main research interest. Some of my heros work there. But then again, they I would likely NEVER get in. Not in a million years. Sigh...
ladysky,

I've narrowed down the APA-accredited programs in my field (n=57) to a list that includes all seemingly good (n=22) or possibly good (n=14) research matches. Investigating them a bit more for fit through faculty contact and seeing who's taking students next year will determine where I'll apply. I still need to decide where/if I'll apply to EdS programs.

Just because they are considered the world leaders in CBT for Anxiety Disorder treatment which is my main research interest. Some of my heros work there. But then again, they I would likely NEVER get in. Not in a million years. Sigh...

if you have relevant research experience and have competitive marks, you will have a shot. you should apply and hope for the best. you owe that to yourself to at least apply. however, if you are strictly interested in clinical work, i would not apply because you'll be miserable having to do heavy dosage of research.

if you are going to work with p. kendall or r. heimberg, you better prepare yourself to work extremely hard (60 plus hours) but you will come out very very attractive.

Widener University PsyD (CBT concentration)
Yeshiva University Combined School/Clinical PsyD
Lasalle University Child and Family Concentration PsyD(will investigate more)
Bryn Mawr College PhD in Clinical Developmental Psychology (not APA accredited, so I am not sure)
Chicago Professional School PsyD Child & AdolescentTrack

Reach Schools:
Indiana University of Pennsylvania PsyD
Rutgers University PsyD in Clinical Psychology
Temple University PhD

Safety Schools:
MS in Counseling Programs including Villanova (need to investigate further)

This is the list I have so far. Thoughts?

I'm at LaSalle now finishing up my Master's, and I'm going to be starting the PsyD program this fall so if you have any questions about the school feel free to ask :p!

My research interests are in behavioral pharmacology (substance abuse sub-focus), and I'm taking the plunge with 2 clinical programs because I'm interested in behavioral pharm. as related to substance abuse in schizophrenia. All are in the psychology department, I'm not trying to get a doctorate in pharmacology.

Schools I'm applying to:

U Maryland College Park, Schizophrenia Research Training Program (Clinical PhD, but SRTP very much research oriented)

American U (behavioral pharm. program, PhD)

George Mason (behavorial pharm. program, PhD)

U Maryland School of Medicine (behavioral pharm. program, PhD)

Virginia Commonwealth U (behavioral pharm. program, PhD)

U Maryland Baltimore County (clinical PhD, but focus in substance abuse in schizophrenia)

U Pittsburgh (behavioral pharm. program, PhD)

Rutgers (molecular and behavioral neuroscience PhD)

George Washington U (behavioral pharm. program, PhD)

Emory (behavioral pharm. program, PhD)

U North Carolina Chapel Hill (behavioral neuroscience, PhD)

Georgetown U/NIH (collaborative program, behavioral neuroscience, PhD)

I may or may not plunk UCLA on that list. I've always wanted to go there, and they have a program I'm interested in, but not so sure about moving 3,000 miles away with a 3 year old and a husband in DC.

I am interested in chronic pain(specifically its relation to anxiety and fear) and pain management
My list:
UMBC
VCU
OU
Syracuse
WVU
Uni of AL
UNC:Chapel Hill
Duke
U of FL
ECU

My list is still too huge to narrow down... but there are two schools that I will most likely apply to (both clinical psych phds):

University of Colorado
University of Virginia

ladysky,

You're post made me giggle a little with the technical terms, so I thought it'd be fun to do the same, hope you don't mind!

Out of n=57 APA schools, I have narrowed my list to n=16, and am still narrowing that list down based on research interests. For those of you that mentioned that it depends on your area of research, I was asking about you all and your interests! But you don't have to share if you don't want. Basically, every school I've looked at has something of interest to me in that sense.

Out of n=57 APA schools, I have narrowed my list to n=16, and am still narrowing that list down based on research interests. For those of you that mentioned that it depends on your area of research, I was asking about you all and your interests! But you don't have to share if you don't want. Basically, every school I've looked at has something of interest to me in that sense.

Really? You're applying to school psych programs? Because if you're applying to clinical, your n is closer to 120, plus n=67 for counseling programs, and n=9 for combined.

My interests?
Looking at intervention, assessment, accommodation, and social and academic adaptation in students with disabilities, especially physical disabilities. I'm particularly interested in looking at this in terms of success/resiliency as well.

My research interests are in behavioral pharmacology (substance abuse sub-focus), and I'm taking the plunge with 2 clinical programs because I'm interested in behavioral pharm. as related to substance abuse in schizophrenia. All are in the psychology department, I'm not trying to get a doctorate in pharmacology.

Schools I'm applying to:

U Maryland College Park, Schizophrenia Research Training Program (Clinical PhD, but SRTP very much research oriented)

American U (behavioral pharm. program, PhD)

George Mason (behavorial pharm. program, PhD)

U Maryland School of Medicine (behavioral pharm. program, PhD)

Virginia Commonwealth U (behavioral pharm. program, PhD)

U Maryland Baltimore County (clinical PhD, but focus in substance abuse in schizophrenia)

U Pittsburgh (behavioral pharm. program, PhD)

Rutgers (molecular and behavioral neuroscience PhD)

George Washington U (behavioral pharm. program, PhD)

Emory (behavioral pharm. program, PhD)

U North Carolina Chapel Hill (behavioral neuroscience, PhD)

Georgetown U/NIH (collaborative program, behavioral neuroscience, PhD)

I may or may not plunk UCLA on that list. I've always wanted to go there, and they have a program I'm interested in, but not so sure about moving 3,000 miles away with a 3 year old and a husband in DC.

Looks like you and I are applying to several of the same schools. Although all of the programs I'm looking at are clinical PhD.