What area do you actually want to research?

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by tBw, Oct 8, 2002.

1. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

Sorry, I'm just being nosy. I'm partly curious to see if people have stongly defined areas of interest already and partly curious if anyone on here is a little um 'out there' (ie wants to pursue a PhD in english art along with the MD or something) or if everyone is heading for straight bio-research.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

cellular electrophys. hopefully applied to understand some interesting neuroscience or related phenomena.

What it is is recording electrical activity (which tells you about function) in nerves. and then, you can look at changes in nerve activity, perhaps after a rat has been taught something, or admisinistered a drug. or, you artificially apply stimulus, and you can look at nerve properties.

I think neuroscience is fascinating. and, being a engineering freak, i like looking at biophyscial/electrical phenomena.
    (it's really a somewhat broad area, what i described).

yes, people do research in english with MSTP... i know there is someone doing history MSTP on SDN.

Sonya

4. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

:) thats an interesting area sonya. I don't know that much about it but I did do a senior thesis/research project on the effect of various anaesthetics on sodium and pottasium channels. unfortunately it required me to kill snails and extrct their nerve cells and i felt so sad every time I killed one - and I killed several every day for 3 months...I understand the fascination with the bio-physics interface ;)

5. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey Sonya. It sounds like you have the same interests as me, as I'm also in neuroscience, specifically electrophysiology. I have only worked with invertebrate models though, such as Aplysia. Where do you want to go to school? Are you applying this cycle?

6. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

mcat's now. doing research in a lab. graduated last may. start in 2004.

errm, now if i could find a lab that would take me... doing that (and a decently funded one, that is). stuff would be a lot better... and i could give up th is stupid looking for a job stuff.

and i wont be beat ing myself over having rejected the best lab at northwestern for doing that stuff when i accepted the current position (which, no long er will take me, b/c they found a grad student).

okay, that was off topic, i' m just frustrated about all this, sorry.

I think they like grad student doing that stuff th ought, because the technique is very complicated, or so i've heard.

for medschool, in all likely hood, i'll end up at U Chic or Northwestner or UI chicago. but, i'd be delighted to attend if i got into some really good school, duke, washu, hopkins, etc.

but, i have a while to see to that.

7. marq_bme

marq_bme Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

U Chic and NU are great schools!! (at least in my opinion). btw, what lab was it that you turned down at NU?

8. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

If you want a research position for the year that will pay well, perhaps you could also look at pharm. companies. Even without a MS or PhD, industry often pays you much better than academics. Talk to Jot if you want - he worked at Merck.

9. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

no, it's not pay. pay's fine here. It's just not working out between the PI and me. I was s aying decently funded, because it's easy to end up in a lab where you can't get pro gress, if they aren't funded. and, because, there would be an excellent lab (Really exciting work, and the PI is really impressed by me, totally recruiting me to come to their medschool anytime i see her). But, i know even if she could fund me, i doubt there 'd be enough resources there.
    (read my post lab problems, if yo want to know what i'm talking about)

But, thanks for the info on pharm companies. i was considering it initiall. but, i think staying in academia will give eno ugh advantages.
    Sonya

10. Natalie03

Natalie03 Member
    7+ Year Member

I think someone posted that he/she knew someone doing English research with the MSTP. Is that really possible? ... to get funded doing non-science grad research with the MD? I thought MSTP = medical SCIENTIST training program. Just wondering.

11. DoubleDoctor

DoubleDoctor Ceder Dog's Daddy
    7+ Year Member

I think structural bio but I haven't definitely decided cuz I'm interested in micro as well. I do research in a biochem/micro/genetics lab so I'm pretty covered for now but I have to start thinking about the PhD stuff soon.

12. exigente chica

7+ Year Member

Actually, alot od the schools do offer programs in the Art's and Sciences. Most are Anthroplogy, psycoloy, bioetics and things along that nature, but it is possible to get your Ph.D in a feild that is non science related!

13. exigente chica

7+ Year Member

Actually, alot od the schools do offer programs in the Art's and Sciences. Most are Anthroplogy, psycoloy, bioetics and things along that nature, but it is possible to get your Ph.D in a feild that is non science related!

BTW, I want to get my Ph.D in biomedical engineering or biochem:love: