What book prepared you best for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shmoo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's a good bio MCAT book, and physics book? Did you find that any particular book had similar questions to the MCAT itself?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought the Kaplan book had well summarized and outlined biology and chemistry information. I didn't review any physics. The practice tests that I thought were closest to the real MCAT were the AAMC practice tests -- especially III, IV, and V (although I and II were helpful as well).

I can only say from my experience DO NOT get the excuse for a book that Barrons puts out. I used the Columbia Review and Jump Start MCAT. If you have a good grasp of the material already, and just want a very condensed book, try the Jump Start, but that book wouldn't help if you don't already have most of the material down. I never used Kaplan, but hear it is about the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would bet on Colubia Review.

This was my experience, though I can understand it if someone else has a different result:

Flowers was best for reviewing material. The level of complexity and scope of material covered was exactly right.

For practice exams, Kaplan and Princeton were good, but easier for physical/bio than my actual exam; verbal was harder. Whatever your score is on those tests, subtract 1 point to get an idea of where you actual exam will be on bio/phys; add one for verbal.

I used Berkeley Review. Their review notes are very thorough. You can order the materials online. For exams, highly recommend AAMC IV & V. I & II were sort of out-dated. Just my little story: I took the AAMC IV exactly one week before the actual MCAT, I got exactly same score. The way they phrase the question was very similar. Personally, I do not recommend Columbia Review material. They will be good for practicing at the very first beginning, cos' the questions were not MCAT-oriented at all.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is all you need for the MCAT.
the answer is 42.

Definitely, definitely don't use Barrons. The questions are way harder than the actual MCAT and the books are poorly proofread so that often it will say Answer:C when it's actually A. On the other hand, after weeks of freaking out because I couldn't get higher than an 8 on any of their tests, I was very pleasantly surprised by my MCAT scores.

I had good luck borrowing the study materials from a Princeton Review course from someone who had taken it the year before. I think the best sample tests are the real ones you get from the AAMC.

The Betz Complete Preparation for the MCAT is incredible. The Flowers and Silver Princeton Review is abysmal (too many typos).

My bets are
The betz guide
Kaplan
High yield review series

Flowers and Silver for text.

Everything ever printed for practice tests.