Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What book prepared you best for the MCAT?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by shmoo, May 11, 2001.

1. shmoo

shmoo Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

What's a good bio MCAT book, and physics book? Did you find that any particular book had similar questions to the MCAT itself?

2. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I thought the Kaplan book had well summarized and outlined biology and chemistry information. I didn't review any physics. The practice tests that I thought were closest to the real MCAT were the AAMC practice tests -- especially III, IV, and V (although I and II were helpful as well).

3. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

I can only say from my experience DO NOT get the excuse for a book that Barrons puts out. I used the Columbia Review and Jump Start MCAT. If you have a good grasp of the material already, and just want a very condensed book, try the Jump Start, but that book wouldn't help if you don't already have most of the material down. I never used Kaplan, but hear it is about the best.

4. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I would bet on Colubia Review.

5. ana

ana

This was my experience, though I can understand it if someone else has a different result:

Flowers was best for reviewing material. The level of complexity and scope of material covered was exactly right.

For practice exams, Kaplan and Princeton were good, but easier for physical/bio than my actual exam; verbal was harder. Whatever your score is on those tests, subtract 1 point to get an idea of where you actual exam will be on bio/phys; add one for verbal.

6. BB07734

BB07734 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I used Berkeley Review. Their review notes are very thorough. You can order the materials online. For exams, highly recommend AAMC IV & V. I & II were sort of out-dated. Just my little story: I took the AAMC IV exactly one week before the actual MCAT, I got exactly same score. The way they phrase the question was very similar. Personally, I do not recommend Columbia Review material. They will be good for practicing at the very first beginning, cos' the questions were not MCAT-oriented at all.

7. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is all you need for the MCAT.
    the answer is 42.

8. Lis

Lis Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Definitely, definitely don't use Barrons. The questions are way harder than the actual MCAT and the books are poorly proofread so that often it will say Answer:C when it's actually A. On the other hand, after weeks of freaking out because I couldn't get higher than an 8 on any of their tests, I was very pleasantly surprised by my MCAT scores.

I had good luck borrowing the study materials from a Princeton Review course from someone who had taken it the year before. I think the best sample tests are the real ones you get from the AAMC.

9. Peregrin

Peregrin Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The Betz Complete Preparation for the MCAT is incredible. The Flowers and Silver Princeton Review is abysmal (too many typos).

10. pinkie08

pinkie08 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

My bets are
    The betz guide
    Kaplan
    High yield review series

11. Mikado

Mikado Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Flowers and Silver for text.

Everything ever printed for practice tests.