what book to suggest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corona 247

SDN Angel
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting my 3rd year with a bang, by doing surgery first! (guess there goes my summer, lol)

I have heard Surgical Recall is the best way to go. Would any of you agree or disagree? Any other suggestions would be much appreciated thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am starting my 3rd year with a bang, by doing surgery first! (guess there goes my summer, lol)

I have heard Surgical Recall is the best way to go. Would any of you agree or disagree? Any other suggestions would be much appreciated thanks!

Surgical Recall is good for reading right before an operative procedure as it contains many of the questions the attendings might pimp you with.

But it is not a textbook and most would say that you need something additional. Lawrence is often used and you can check the Book list in this forum for other suggestions.

in respect to the surgery shelf and just surgical management knowledge, NMS case book is golden. it focuses on surgical management, from the medical management to surgical management. its especially good for you since you haven't had medicine yet.

the best method in my opinion would be to read the NMS book while using lawrence as refference, that order will make the reading in lawrence more meaningful to you.

good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I used Lawrence and Case Files with reading from Recall the night/morning of whatever cases I was scrubbing on.

Lawrence was great, but you need to start reading the first day, if your rotation is 8 weeks like mine, to get through the whole thing and reallly understand it. Case Files was ok, nothing special. I did all of Pretest, too, and I thought it was harder than the NBME, for whatever reason.

Good luck.

Those above have highlighted the good ones. Surgical Attending Rounds is also very high yield as an adjuvant to Recall and Lawrence