What book to use for ABSITE prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Justabronco

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year med student going into general surgery, and I recently won a competition hosted by my school's library. The prize is them buying me any medical related textbook up to $200. I know most programs will offer the traditional surgery textbooks like Schwartz...etc when I start residency, so one of the residents suggested I ask for an ABSITE prep book instead.

My question - what prep book do you recommend for ABSITE?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 4th year med student going into general surgery, and I recently won a competition hosted by my school's library. The prize is them buying me any medical related textbook up to $200. I know most programs will offer the traditional surgery textbooks like Schwartz...etc when I start residency, so one of the residents suggested I ask for an ABSITE prep book instead.

My question - what prep book do you recommend for ABSITE?

Pretty much everyone I know starts out with this book. But it’s pretty cheap. You may be better off seeing if they will get you the TrueLearn question bank, if you like doing review questions, to get you money’s worth. You can buy it for a set amount of time but the clock doesn’t start ticking until you actually start using it. So you could buy it now but not activate it until you’re in residency.

Amazon product

Reactions: 2 users
You could also see if they will purchase the Fiser book @LucidSplash mentioned as well as Clinical Scenarios in Surgery (Dimick) which is designed for oral board studying, but I feel is helpful at any level, and is another book you'll likely want at some point. Together the two add up to just under $200.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both! I will ask them about both books.

Pretty much everyone I know starts out with this book. But it’s pretty cheap. You may be better off seeing if they will get you the TrueLearn question bank, if you like doing review questions, to get you money’s worth. You can buy it for a set amount of time but the clock doesn’t start ticking until you actually start using it. So you could buy it now but not activate it until you’re in residency.

Amazon product

By "this book," do you mean the green Fiser Absite book that has practice questions too, or the Fiser Absite Review (5th ed.) without questions?

By "this book," do you mean the green Fiser Absite book that has practice questions too, or the Fiser Absite Review (5th ed.) without questions?
I mean the review book, the one I linked to. I had the question book too but I thought those were just ok not great. I used TrueLearn QB and the purple DeVirgilio book for questions. I think that was the old 1st edition DeVelirgilio, the newer 2nd edition is green by the look of amazon.

I mean the review book, the one I linked to. I had the question book too but I thought those were just ok not great. I used TrueLearn QB and the purple DeVirgilio book for questions. I think that was the old 1st edition DeVelirgilio, the newer 2nd edition is green by the look of amazon.
Thanks! It wasn't linked in your post anymore for some reason, but I got it now.

You could also see if they will purchase the Fiser book @LucidSplash mentioned as well as Clinical Scenarios in Surgery (Dimick) which is designed for oral board studying, but I feel is helpful at any level, and is another book you'll likely want at some point. Together the two add up to just under $200.
The Dimick book is great, especially for oral board studying, but i can see it benefitting a junior resident greatly! Highly recommended (I used 1st edition, I believe the 2nd edition has finally come out so I can't comment on that one)

Reactions: 1 users
I have to respectfully disagree with the Dimick recommendation. This is not a good resource for a PGY2.5 or lower. There is just too much that it assumes you know that it is NOT a great resource for a junior, IMO. Also, by the time this student becomes senior enough to use it, there will be a more updated edition.