What books are best for the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mtmsoccer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I have listed the book i currently have to work with for the dat and would like to know which books are the best to use and for what subjects. Also would books and or websites do you guys recommend? I am also planning on get qvault and bootcamp and also chads videos. Also there are basically two sites that have chads videos, coursesaver.com and chadsvideos.com and would like to know which one is the better site.

-Kaplan 2015
-DAT prep by Kaplan
-McGraw hill DAT
-cracking the dat
-Barron's DAT and Barron's AP biology
-DAT Destroyer and Math Destroyer
-Cliffs Ap biology

Members don't see this ad.

Those are all good! Kaplan is a bit infamous around here for being not detailed enough though- so it may not be helpful to you. I used the 2015 Kaplan like 5 months before I started studying for my DAT to make flashcards though, and those were def. helpful in helping me understand the scope of the test & some basic details. Also, if by DAT prep by Kaplan you are referring to their workbook, it's 100% useless IMO. I use coursesaver and it works well!

Those are all good! Kaplan is a bit infamous around here for being not detailed enough though- so it may not be helpful to you. I used the 2015 Kaplan like 5 months before I started studying for my DAT to make flashcards though, and those were def. helpful in helping me understand the scope of the test & some basic details. Also, if by DAT prep by Kaplan you are referring to their workbook, it's 100% useless IMO. I use coursesaver and it works well!

Yes I agree they do miss skip some important concepts especially in gen. chem. I just got my subscription to coursesaver, thank you for your help. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,
So I have listed the book i currently have to work with for the dat and would like to know which books are the best to use and for what subjects. Also would books and or websites do you guys recommend? I am also planning on get qvault and bootcamp and also chads videos. Also there are basically two sites that have chads videos, coursesaver.com and chadsvideos.com and would like to know which one is the better site.

-Kaplan 2015
-DAT prep by Kaplan
-McGraw hill DAT
-cracking the dat
-Barron's DAT and Barron's AP biology
-DAT Destroyer and Math Destroyer
-Cliffs Ap biology
Other than the Kaplans, all the other ones are good. I'd definitely try and use the books more as a study guide than as an actual "test" since the DAT will be administered electronically.... You want to imitate actual testing conditions as much as you can. Lastly, Cliff's AP Bio is IMMENSELY helpful for the bio section - I actually regret not studying from it enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
Other than the Kaplans, all the other ones are good. I'd definitely try and use the books more as a study guide than as an actual "test" since the DAT will be administered electronically.... You want to imitate actual testing conditions as much as you can. Lastly, Cliff's AP Bio is IMMENSELY helpful for the bio section - I actually regret not studying from it enough.
I'm using the books to get familiarized again with the concepts only and then i take a practice test to asses what I do and don't know. You think that is a good strategy?

I'm using the books to get familiarized again with the concepts only and then i take a practice test to asses what I do and don't know. You think that is a good strategy?
Yep that's perfect. Use the books to study/familiarize with concepts and take an online practice test like Bootcamp or DAT destroyer to gauge your progress.