1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What books to buy for home study

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by drtroy, Aug 6, 2011.

1. drtroy

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey everybody I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on what books to buy for home study prep for the MCAT. I am planning on taking the MCAT in January or February and am going to start studying in January. I have heard that berkeley review books are really good but I was wondering, do they update their books every year or 2? I am also looking into exam krackers. If anybody could can you give me a break down of what are the best books for each section? I am going to by the aamc practice tests as well. Thanks everybody.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. coyotelime

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  4. raltima07

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Buy the SN2ED books. I also have them all for sale in the classified section, as do many other people. You might be able to find a good deal there as well as get it shipped to you much faster that way, as compared to buying it from the source

5. BerkReviewTeach

BerkReviewTeach Company Rep & Bad Singer
    Exhibitor 10+ Year Member

I completely agree here and want to add a few things. If you are going to buy used prep materials, SDN classifieds is the only way to go. Like Raltima said, it's more convenient and often cheaper in the long run to buy all you need in one purchase. But even beyond that, Craigslist purchases frequently result in the buyer being scammed. Most dishonesty seems to happen there. Ebay sellers charge outlandish prices for really outdated books (there's no need to pay $75 for the 1998 version of books that cost $60 brand new for 2011 versions). There is no place like SDN classifieds to get what you need, be able to ask specifics about the materials, find the latest versions of material, and not worry about being scammed. Most of the scams I hear about come from Craigslist, although there are on occassion some unsolicited PMs at SDN from some less-than-honest people (with zero to five posts on their record).

Hopefully it's obvious though that if you opt to buy something illegal (pdf versions of the materials in particular), you deserve to be ripped off. I've fielded some pretty weird PMs from people who bought blurry pdfs, incomplete pdfs, or pdfs that either crashed their computer or didn't open asking if I could send them a better copy. One particular person was actually so pissed off at a low quality pdf that they were demanding a refund from BR for their illegal copy. It took them a few exchanged messages to realize that they made an illegal purchase.

6. desphil

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I personally LOVED the ExamKrackers books. If you use them in conjunction with the Audio Osmosis CDs, it really nails in the concepts. EK isn't that good for physics though - I used Berkeley Review for physics and some gen chem. Mostly I stuck with EK for content, and Berkeley for passages.