What books to buy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreyeman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Half way done with my PGY-1 year and looking forward to next year. I just wanted to ask which books were most beneficial to buy. I hear Kanski is great, but a huge pricey book. Anything else? My current prelim program gives us money to buy books and they said we can get whatever books we want up to $400. So any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

Half way done with my PGY-1 year and looking forward to next year. I just wanted to ask which books were most beneficial to buy. I hear Kanski is great, but a huge pricey book. Anything else? My current prelim program gives us money to buy books and they said we can get whatever books we want up to $400. So any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Kanski is a great book. Concentrate on getting good board review books for the OKAPs and your studies.

Consider this article:
http://www.medrounds.org/ophthalmology-pearls/2008/04/seven-pearls-to-success-for-okap-exam.html

Hey all,

kanski is good but like dr. doan mentioned review books for the okaps are helpful too. i have and like

Review of Ophthalmology (Paperback)
by Neil Friedman (Author), Peter K. Kaiser (Author), William Trattler (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/Review-Ophthalmology-Neil-Friedman/dp/0721687768

and

Ophthalmology Review Manual (Paperback)
by Kenneth C Chern (Author), Michael E Zegans (Author), Kenneth C. Chern (Author), Michael E. Zegans

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to look for past residency, Yanoff and Fine's pathology book is great. I found it very helpful for written and oral boards.

Ophthalmology Review Manual (Paperback)
by Kenneth C Chern (Author), Michael E Zegans (Author), Kenneth C. Chern (Author), Michael E. Zegans

As someone also new to the field, a really like the above-mentioned book. However, it was published in 2000 and I worry that some information might be outdated.