What books to use for each rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reborn07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry. was there an official thread on this

Members don't see this ad.

I would try the sticky that says "Read me first! Lots of useful links here".

Blueprints OB/GYN, Blueprints Pediatrics, Surgical Recall, Step Up to Medicine or another book for medicine, First Aid for the Psychiatry Clerkship. Use a question book or 2 for each rotation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am using Step-Up to Medicine, Recall, and MKSAP for IM. Both Step-Up and MKSAP were suggested to me. Recall was my own selection.

Pocket Medicine, Scut Monkey (Clinician's Pocket Reference), and the Washington Manual (haven't purchased yet) were also suggested to me to carry (have on hand). Scut looks to be very good. Oh, and Epocrates to help during the daily chores on the wards.

Otherwise, the other general reading I plan to do is "Pocket" Harrison's (on my PDA). Who has time for BIG Harrison's? Notice a trend? BIG Robbin's, BIG Harrison's? LOL! Pocket Robbin's (when I read it) was good enough, imo. Hopefully Harrison's pans out to be the same.

For Surgery, I have heard Recall is the thing to hit.

For Psychiatry, FIRST AID. Our M2 Psychiatry course used it and I like it.

For the others, I have not decided yet. I'd ask your upper class persons. They are going to be the experts at your school.

what is scut monkey

Scut Monkey is the Lange Clinician's Pocket Reference, which contains a bunch of information that is useful for the wards. Do a search on amazon to find it. I personally bought it, but only used it once to learn how to tie suture. It may not be the best investment, but you may find it more useful than I did. You may also find this site more useful if you did a search before posting something.