What can 6 year OMF surgeons do that 4 year OMF surgeons can't?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mednoob

I ask noobish questions
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, first off no one tell me to "use the search function". I HAVE searched this topic pretty extensively and haven't been able to find a clear cut answer.

Now, I've heard some negative things about the scope of practice for OMF surgeons that have completed 4 year residencies, such as that they can only do dentoalveolar procedures and just 3rd molar extractions. But I'm not sure how true this is or not.

Can someone enlighten me and give me an idea of what 6 year OMF surgeons can do that 4 year OMF surgeons can't?

ty

Members don't see this ad.

there is no differences in which procedures they can do, 6 year just gives you an MD

Members don't see this ad :)
With six year while you get your MD you can decide to choose and go into any medical speciality from psychiatry to plastic surgery. It may help in teaching, business opportunities.

With six year while you get your MD you can decide to choose and go into any medical speciality from psychiatry to plastic surgery. It may help in teaching, business opportunities.

Which should really only matter if you get in some kind of accident which take your hands out of play, which actually happened to one of the attending's at Pacifics friend. He's in psychiatry now.

Which should really only matter if you get in some kind of accident which take your hands out of play, which actually happened to one of the attending's at Pacifics friend. He's in psychiatry now.
Or if you decide your back hurts from bending over or lose interest in dentistry or lose your hand dexterity. I think it is a great asset personally. I would put in the extra two years for the extra title and previleages.

I've heard some 4 yr OMF guys may have a slightly harder time with admissions and some other hospital privileges.

Can someone enlighten me and give me an idea of what 6 year OMF surgeons can do that 4 year OMF surgeons can't?

ty

wrap their pen_s around the waist

If that happened to me, I would go into Orthodontics. As long as I can point to coordinate my assistants and count my money...I kid, I kid:p

Might make it slightly easier to do some fellowships and possibly jump ship to another medical specialty (as some have done before), but the current most published and well respected (dental and medicine) OMFS are single degree. Scope is all the same depending on training and the education received duriing residency.

Might make it slightly easier to do some fellowships and possibly jump ship to another medical specialty

... or jump ship and work in another country.

(UK, Australia, and New Zealand.. and maybe some areas of Europe) all now require OMFS to hold both dental and medical degrees before they can obtain be licensed to practice.

... or jump ship and work in another country.

(UK, Australia, and New Zealand.. and maybe some areas of Europe) all now require OMFS to hold both dental and medical degrees before they can obtain be licensed to practice.

Were the single degree surgeons in these countries grandfathered in so they could stay OMFS after the switch or were they forced to either become DA surgeons or get the MD? Does anybody think that this switch will happen in the US in the near future? and if so will the single degree guys be grandfathered?

Were the single degree surgeons in these countries grandfathered in so they could stay OMFS after the switch or were they forced to either become DA surgeons or get the MD? Does anybody think that this switch will happen in the US in the near future? and if so will the single degree guys be grandfathered?

They were granfathered in. Obtaining a medical degree became a requirement in Australia and New Zealand in 1997.

Dual degree surgeons can assure themselves and their patients that every educational measure was taken to be able to provide the best care possible; peace of mind knowing that no shortcuts or 'fast-tracks' were taken in order to accommodate personal desires or family obligations. Do a quick search of the American College of Surgeons and see how many single degree OMFSs are Fellows.
Single degree surgeons will always have an inferiority complex, wondering for the rest of their lives if such-and-such patient could have been better medically managed; wondering if they would be better doctors if they had taken the time to get a proper medical education; they will never know.

:boom:
Dual degree surgeons can assure themselves and their patients that every educational measure was taken to be able to provide the best care possible; peace of mind knowing that no shortcuts or 'fast-tracks' were taken in order to accommodate personal desires or family obligations. Do a quick search of the American College of Surgeons and see how many single degree OMFSs are Fellows.
Single degree surgeons will always have an inferiority complex, wondering for the rest of their lives if such-and-such patient could have been better medically managed; wondering if they would be better doctors if they had taken the time to get a proper medical education; they will never know.
:boom:

uh-oh.

Do a quick search of the American College of Surgeons and see how many single degree OMFSs are Fellows.

Obviously, as you must hold a medical degree to be a Fellow of the ACS.

It actually has more to do with politics rather than surgical training. In the United States at least.. 4 year grads obtain the exact same surgical training and scope of practice as 6 year grads with the exception of 2 years of undergraduate medical clinical experiences in obgyn, pediatrics, internal medicine, etc. Honestly, not having a few months of med school level pediatrics and obgyn rotations is not going to make you a poor Maxfacs surgeon.

It is residency where you learn your real skills for your specialty. OMFS surgeons with or without a medical degree both must sit and pass the exact same board certification exams and are held to the same standard. :thumbup:

That is laughable. The more I work in a hospital, the less respect I have for MD's. For the most part, they are completely unhappy with compensation, hate their work environment, their management of patients is dictated by insurance companies and medicaid, and are admittedly envious of the way "us dentists" actually get paid for what we do.

I have no problem with the six year MD track, but to say a 4 year guy cant manage their patient medically is absurd. All you med students do is go blind reading labs on computers, occasionally slip your completely uncoordinated finger in some dudes turd cutter, and fetch coffee for your intern. (OMFS Med students excluded)

If I want to spend six years in training, I'll do the additional two in a fellowship.

And you are right, I will never know, thank God.

That is laughable. The more I work in a hospital, the less respect I have for MD's. For the most part, they are completely unhappy with compensation, hate their work environment, their management of patients is dictated by insurance companies and medicaid, and are admittedly envious of the way "us dentists" actually get paid for what we do.

I have no problem with the six year MD track, but to say a 4 year guy cant manage their patient medically is absurd. All you med students do is go blind reading labs on computers, occasionally slip your completely uncoordinated finger in some dudes turd cutter, and fetch coffee for your intern. (OMFS Med students excluded)

If I want to spend six years in training, I'll do the additional two in a fellowship.

And you are right, I will never know, thank God.
Not all MDs work that many hours and make the money you say. Look at the Medical Spas, plastic surgeons, Anes. docs, Ortho docs. all make 500-1M easy and some lucky ones like Derms make the same with alot less work than dentists in any specialty.

Not all MDs work that many hours and make the money you say. Look at the Medical Spas, plastic surgeons, Anes. docs, Ortho docs. all make 500-1M easy and some lucky ones like Derms make the same with alot less work than dentists in any specialty.

Well.. then it sounds you've found your calling. Good luck with that. :)