What can a BS do before med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PittMedicine

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to have a full 7 months b4 med school (if all goes well). I want to go down south toward FL. Is there any type of employment or something I can get for the short period with a BS in biology?

Members don't see this ad.

You can probably get a lab assistant-type job....the average salary for a bio bs grad is 30-36,000 a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Napoleon4000 said:
You can do research! You can get a Masters! You can get your PhD! You can work research or clinical assistant! See info below. Hope it is helpful
Not quite sure the OP really has time to get a PhD before med school starts in the fall.....

B.S before medschool doesn't do much without having some sort of skill set. Meaning some experience in research, tutoring, etc.

reylting said:
B.S before medschool doesn't do much without having some sort of skill set. Meaning some experience in research, tutoring, etc.
I'm looking for anything really. I will have some research experience and tutored organic chem. Maybe something fun...doesn't necessarily have to be extremely scientific. Perhaps I'm lookin' for programs that begin ~ January and end ~ May.

The B.S. in bio would qualify you for an entry-level research technician job (some require research experience though). I think your biggest issue is time though. Potential employers may be reluctant to hire you if they know they'll only have you for 7 months. Your best shot might be some summer fellowship, research or clinical experience, etc., but that won't fill up the whole 7 months. It really depends on whether your looking just for a job or just some cool experience during this "off" time.

I am in the same boat as the OP...graduating on saturday with a BS in biochem and biophysics. I would say just relax for the next 7/8 months, man. Enjoy the time off b4 med school...travel a little, try new things, meet some new people, spend time with family, spend time with yourself, read some new books etc. Unless you absolutely need some cash money, then you can just get a job with princeton review or kaplan as a tutor (its really not all that difficult to get) and they pay really well.

Anyway, that is what I plan to do.

good luck

Unfortunately, there is little you can do with BS in biology. However, depending upon your mcat, you can teach for Princeton Review, Kaplan, other testing company. Thats what I did, but be forewarned, they may pay a lot per hour, but they don't pay for your class prep time, which can be an hour of prep for each hour you teach if its your first time teaching. If you didn't score 95th precentile or above in any section, then you can teach SAT, which is really friggin easy, takes much less prep, and sometimes is just baby sitting. All you have to do is either give them a record of your SAT, but if you don't have it, you can easily take one of their SAT tests, and being a college grad, you should be able to get 1600, which will allow you to teach. If you pick up a lot of classes, its easy money, plus you usually work with other medical school/professional school bound people you can relate with.
Whatever you do, have fun, try to save up some extra cash, and give your mind a rest before indentured servitude starts, I mean your medical career begins.

sscooterguy

How about going to a warm climate and working on the beach? If you don't care if you do work in science or not, then maybe the best thing to do would be to take a break from it. You'll get plenty of science in med school....

A 1600 on the SATs wtf?

less than 1 percent get it during high school because there's always human error and other factors involved.

In NY, if you are a B.S., I believe you can get a temporary teaching license where you can teach at the high school level for 1 year, but don't quote me on that because it might just be this region, but nevertheless check this out.

I'm in this exact boat. I couldn't get a "real" job because I knew I would be away a lot for interviewing and I was doing some volunteering in Peru. Now I have a huge chunk of time and really nothing pressing to do. So I attempted to get a job in research. What I got all around was "loved to hire you, but you can't give us enough time". So now I volunteer in a research lab and do some, what I call "freelance" research for doctors who want to do some clinical follow-up on patients, but don't have the time to do the leg work (this pays the rent...kind of...)

Choose your preferred medical specialty and contact the department head at your medical school. Request to do research for the 7 months. Be ready to work for free but politely ask if there's any money available. Request to work on a research project that will be published. The experience and personal contacts are more valuable than $, especially if it is a competitive specialty.