What can a resident do to effectively land a job in private practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Graywolf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Resident here - PGY2 in July. I think I scratched off academics and plan to pursue private practice-- I really want the autonomy of private practice and while I enjoy teaching, research or rising the ranks in an institution is just not my passion.

I would like to go back to my home region in the Rocky Mountain Northwest (think Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Colorado). Would love to operate and then have the time/luxury of fly fish/hike on my off time.

Very open to different sizes of city: The locations range from metro cities anywhere from 500k-1 million+ . Otherwise, there are are nice, rural locations like Sun Valley Idaho and Bend Oregon I would dream to practice in (populations 20,000+).

What can I be doing as a junior resident to optimize my chance of securing a job by graduation?
What is the best way to 'keep on the radar' for a practice looking to expand or a retiring ENT looking to be replaced?
How can I promote myself in a professional way?

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly the best thing you can do now is to add as much knowledge and surgical skills into your toolbox. If you're comfortable with a wide variety of things, you'll be able to market yourself accordingly. Making sure you're a team player as a junior and senior resident is extremely important. I've gotten calls from former residents asking about this fellow or resident and how they were to work with. Not all calls were complimentary.

Networking at conferences probably is the easiest thing to do. Researching practices in the areas you want to be in probably is reasonable so you have a lay of the land. As you get closer to PGY4/end of PGY4 then calling, talking to practice managers or hiring partners would be most efficient regarding timelines. Some partners have a set date they know when they are leaving so if you fall in that period you'll be kept in mind.

Most practices at this point are trying to figure out how to get through the Covid era and hiring an associate is likely the last thing on their mind.

ENT Health careers is a nice site to start. Most of these are employed jobs so if you're looking to be true PP, then cold calling is much better.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user