Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

What can be used for otc treatment of burns?

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by crimson1566, Mar 14, 2007.

1. crimson1566

2+ Year Member

If it's a minor burn Just triple antibiotic w/pain reliever and some oral analgesic? Anything else good?

2. LowGPAHighPCAT

LowGPAHighPCAT Use the Schwartz!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    A cold pack is also good - especially when used directly after the burn occurs. It can alleviate some of the swelling and pain that comes later...Other than that, there really isn't a lot OTC that can help. Tylenol or an anti-inflammatory like Aleve or Advil is good for the pain and swelling. The best remedy (other than not getting burned) is Silvadene cream but it is a prescription...

3. patmcd

patmcd Senior Member
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    You can also use aloe or vinegar to help reduce irriation.

4. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Is this a question theoretical or for treatment of an actual burn? If it is just forgeneral discussion and learning that is okay. But, if it is for personal medical use, you should really talk to your own healthcare provider.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ForcedEntry

ForcedEntry Lilo got stitched
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Rub mustard all over your face for sunburns. It works wonders.

no not really

never take medical advice form a forum

6. patmcd

patmcd Senior Member
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    It actually might do something. There is a lot of vinegar in mustard. But please don't try/recommend that.

7. OP
    OP
    crimson1566

2+ Year Member

learning. I get customers who want to know. Lets say they say they're going to see their doctor the next day but want something for now or that they will not go to a doctor. Just want to know what's out there.

8. twester

twester Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Let's not forget the exclusions for self-treatment <puts on his white coat>:

1. Any burn deeper than superficial or superficial partial-thickness.
    2. Burns over more than 2% of the body (everybody knows the Rule of 9's, right?)
    3. Inhalation, chemical or electrical burns.
    4. Burns on the face, feet or hands.
    5. More than three blisters larger than a silver dollar.

What am I forgetting? Just took an exam on this and....pfft!

I think, in general, if a pt is wondering whether a burn is serious enough to seek medical attention - that's what they should do.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Aznfarmerboi

Aznfarmerboi Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    It also depends on the type of burn, is it caused by fire/steam/heat or is it called by chemical? First step is to control the pain, second step is to begin the healing process.

If it is a heat burn, run the burn area with cold water. Wet a cool paper towel and apply to it. DO NOT use ice! You can take anaglesic for pain control. Apply triple antibiotics to limit infection. If it is a chemical burn, antibiotics often are not needed.

I have heard of aloe being used a lot in sunburns but dont have much information on me or resources to look it up.

10. mrsturtle

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Burn Free is the best!!!! I don't know of a national chain that carries it. I get it at emergency essentials here in Utah. I am never w/out it!!! Best burn cream around, takes the burn out and heals much faster. Google burn free and it comes up. If you have kids it is a must!!