What can be used for otc treatment of burns?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crimson1566

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If it's a minor burn Just triple antibiotic w/pain reliever and some oral analgesic? Anything else good?

Members don't see this ad.

If it's a minor burn Just triple antibiotic w/pain reliever and some oral analgesic? Anything else good?

A cold pack is also good - especially when used directly after the burn occurs. It can alleviate some of the swelling and pain that comes later...Other than that, there really isn't a lot OTC that can help. Tylenol or an anti-inflammatory like Aleve or Advil is good for the pain and swelling. The best remedy (other than not getting burned) is Silvadene cream but it is a prescription...

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this a question theoretical or for treatment of an actual burn? If it is just forgeneral discussion and learning that is okay. But, if it is for personal medical use, you should really talk to your own healthcare provider.

Rub mustard all over your face for sunburns. It works wonders.

no not really

never take medical advice form a forum

Is this a question theoretical or for treatment of an actual burn? If it is just forgeneral discussion and learning that is okay. But, if it is for personal medical use, you should really talk to your own healthcare provider.

learning. I get customers who want to know. Lets say they say they're going to see their doctor the next day but want something for now or that they will not go to a doctor. Just want to know what's out there.

Let's not forget the exclusions for self-treatment <puts on his white coat>:

1. Any burn deeper than superficial or superficial partial-thickness.
2. Burns over more than 2% of the body (everybody knows the Rule of 9's, right?)
3. Inhalation, chemical or electrical burns.
4. Burns on the face, feet or hands.
5. More than three blisters larger than a silver dollar.

What am I forgetting? Just took an exam on this and....pfft!

I think, in general, if a pt is wondering whether a burn is serious enough to seek medical attention - that's what they should do.

It also depends on the type of burn, is it caused by fire/steam/heat or is it called by chemical? First step is to control the pain, second step is to begin the healing process.

If it is a heat burn, run the burn area with cold water. Wet a cool paper towel and apply to it. DO NOT use ice! You can take anaglesic for pain control. Apply triple antibiotics to limit infection. If it is a chemical burn, antibiotics often are not needed.

I have heard of aloe being used a lot in sunburns but dont have much information on me or resources to look it up.

Burn Free is the best!!!! I don't know of a national chain that carries it. I get it at emergency essentials here in Utah. I am never w/out it!!! Best burn cream around, takes the burn out and heals much faster. Google burn free and it comes up. If you have kids it is a must!!