what can I bring in to the exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quietude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not as naive as it sounds, I have read the USMLE instructions and I'm just a little confused about two points.

1) I've developed really bad dry eyes (thanks, second year studying!) and absolutely have to use thick eye drops every 90 minutes or so when using a computer to keep my eyes from gluing shut. Will I be allowed to use these during breaks? I can probably get a note from my opthalmologist, but I only have a month to do so if it's needed.

This isn't mentioned as an illegal item, but they helpfully point out that illegal is at their own discretion.

1b) Please don't tell me this can be done, but only if I apply for special consideration. I may cry. It's non-prescription eyedrops, I'lll even peel off the labels. :eek:

2) Are there two lockers, or are you allowed to retrieve your food from the same one with your other stuff during the breaks? The description from the website is written in a way that makes no sense. Or maybe I can't understand instructions unless they're written as a two-part question with five answer choices.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
More details. The nice ladies at my testing center gave me a list. Typing it up:

What you are allowed to bring to your workstation:
Scheduling Permit
Driver's License
Locker Key
One pair of earplugs (they have to check these)

What you cannot bring to your workstation:
Tissues
Drink
Food
Candy
Chapstick
Good luck charms
Eye Glass Case
Lanyards
Coat and/or hat
Paper
Pencils
Cough drops, etc
Any item not mentioned in this list

Members don't see this ad :)
More details. The nice ladies at my testing center gave me a list. Typing it up:

What you are allowed to bring to your workstation:
Scheduling Permit
Driver's License
Locker Key
One pair of earplugs (they have to check these)

What you cannot bring to your workstation:
Tissues
Drink
Food
Candy
Chapstick
Good luck charms
Eye Glass Case
Lanyards
Coat and/or hat
Paper
Pencils
Cough drops, etc
Any item not mentioned in this list

Thanks, it's helpful to know. I don't have to have them right at the desk, just as long as I could grab them from my locker during breaks. I can't see any reason offhand why that wouldn't be allowed.

Thanks, it's helpful to know. I don't have to have them right at the desk, just as long as I could grab them from my locker during breaks. I can't see any reason offhand why that wouldn't be allowed.

Yeah, I'm planning to have a full emergency kit in my locker:
Pepto Bismol
Advil/ Advil Sinus
Migraine Medicine
Tums
etc

Just in case... I figure I can manage a block or see it coming and pre-treat during a break if need be.