What can I count for volunteer hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runningdude

It's all downhill
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two questions regarding if I can count these as volunteer hours.

1. I took a basic entrepreneurship class and for the class we were required to start a business within the semester and earn $1500 for the business. For my business I started a 5K race and when the race was over I donated the money to charity. The first year I spent 100 hours+ working on the race. The following year I continued the race and the again donated the money to charity. Can I count these hours as service even though the project was for class credit?

2. I am currently doing an internship in the hospital. The hospital required me to have class credit for the internship. Can I count these hours as volunteer hours even though the internship is for college credit?

Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

You're doing it wrong if you're trying to differentiate between "service" and "everything else." They are definitely worth mentioning on an app. Whether they fit some arbitrary definition of "service" or not I will let the ensuing 5+ pages of posts debating the point decide.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I don't understand your post, I did not do these activities thinking what category they would fit in. I did these activities because I wanted to and for the experience.

However, now as I am beginning the application cycle they amcas and several secondaries want you to place your activities in a specific category, like community service/volunteer? Right? I am only wondering about these activities to know how to classify the activities on my applications.

I don't understand your post, I did not do these activities thinking what category they would fit in. I did these activities because I wanted to and for the experience.

However, now as I am beginning the application cycle they amcas and several secondaries want you to place your activities in a specific category, like community service/volunteer? Right? I am only wondering about these activities to know how to classify the activities on my applications.

Because you did them for class credit I think it would be a stretch to consider them service. However, only you know what all they entailed. In general you don't have to put your activities into strict categories other than on AMCAS, so beyond that it's somewhat irrelevant.

Sent from my Nexus 7