What can I do about a bad O-Chem Prof and Book ? How do I learn ?

MikePhen2

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
Status
Anyone know a way around a bad prof and a bad book ? The prof is a great lecturer but is lecturing off notes from years ago so they dont match the book. Her quizes and exams dont match the book. The book is a poor book (McMurray). I have been reading Solomons O-Chem book which is supposed to be the best O-Chem book but it is in a different order than my class and I dont have the soln manual for it. Any suggestions ? Anyone know of a great web site ? A brief book focusing on mechanisms ? Any suggestions ?

Tigger27

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2005
Status
MikePhen2 said:
Anyone know a way around a bad prof and a bad book ? The prof is a great lecturer but is lecturing off notes from years ago so they dont match the book. Her quizes and exams dont match the book. The book is a poor book (McMurray). I have been reading Solomons O-Chem book which is supposed to be the best O-Chem book but it is in a different order than my class and I dont have the soln manual for it. Any suggestions ? Anyone know of a great web site ? A brief book focusing on mechanisms ? Any suggestions ?
I actually really liked my McMurray text, which I think goes to show how much the prof matters (I LOVED mine). There are different options depending on how you best learn. I am a very visual person so I used the model kits a lot and drew pictures. I also found flashcards to be great for mechanisms...just bring your flashcards everywhere - stuck in traffic, waiting on food in a restaraunt...pretty soon they become second nature. Idid not realize the golden value of flashcards until I began studying for the MCAT...something I wish I'd done long before. Good luck! :luck: