What can I do now? (Letter writing questions)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nmehta

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at UCONN in mid november and I am awaiting their decision. For some reason, i have this feeling that they will be waitlisting me, instead of accepting me. But since this is my last year of trying to get into medical school, I want to give it full effort into convincing them I am a good applicant and will make a great physician. My work and activities would allow me to write about something nearly every couple weeks, because there are always new things developing, but I don't want to annoy the the admissions committee. However, I do want to convey to them my excitement, enthusiasm, and commitment in attending UCONN! How do I go about doing this? How frequently should letters be written, and when is it too much?

Members don't see this ad.

Letters and phone calls would be a henderence. If you do write a letter, I would stick to a single event. In the eyes of the committe you have already had the chance to write a letter to show your enthusiasm ect.... in your personal statement, any additional essays, and your interview. It is a numbers game sometimes and, unfortunately, even the best can lose.

Good luck

Richard

I wouldn't write more than one letter to the AdCom at UNCONN expressing your interest in their med school. More than that would become annoying. Have you already written one? If you have, then leave it at that and let the fates play it out.

The admissions process is a gamble, and there's really only so much you can do.

Kinda bleak? I know.
smile.gif

Tim of New York City.

Members don't see this ad :)
Acutally, I dont agree with that. It actually depends on the school. Some schools want to see it when students are excited (and how actively they show it) are to come to the school. This means they like to see that an applicant is updating his/her file with more important information. However, some schools do not like to see students just cluttering their mail system with just "I am interested" letters (eg. Tulane). I say call the school. Tell them you are committed to their program (if you really are) and that you will withdraw any and all applications for an acceptance to UCONN since it is your unequivocl first choice to attend medical school. And ask them (the person who answers the phone) what is the best way to declare this. It might be a letter, it might be making an phone appointment with an admissions person? Who knows. Call and ask. Especially if this is REALLY where you want to go.

It may be better to first await their initial decision. You would not want to do anything extra-normnal that might hinder their normal process. If you do indeed get waitlisted, put on the full court press after March 15th, then double your efforts after May 15. Telephone communications should be considered as well. Good luck.

Just as you would write thak yous to your personal interviewers, I don't see what would be wrong with writing a letter to te admissions director/committee thanking them for inviting you to the school, showing you around, treating you well, giving you a delicious sandwich and fresh fruit, whatever; I don't think it would hurt to say how impressed you were with the school and how enthusiastic you now are about attending. I did that for one school, but I can't tell you if it had any effect one way or another.

To all, I have yet to receive a decision from them regarding my application, but I feel I did take a lot of time and effort in constructing well thought out responses to their essay questions. Fortunately, UCONN has very thorough and well chosen questions which allow applicants to explain themselves. Furthermore, I already wrote my letter of gratitude for the interview and indicated that this is still my top choice. However, my intention with repeated letters is to show my enthusiasm and to show how hard I am willing to work to be part of their entering class, while conveying my recent developments and projects. I actually like the idea of indicating that I would drop all other applications and my one acceptance to another school to attend UCONN.
Thanks for everyone's help.