nickjohnson

10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I just graduated and have a year to improve my application, which is quite weak right now, but I don't think my chance's are hopeless with a year or to boost it.

GPA is 3.2, 29M Mcat (11/11/7vr) so verbal and the essay destroyed me.
50 hours ER volunteering
120 hours shadowing opthalmologists at a charity hospital in india.
No research or health related work experience.

So my immediate plan is to continue volunteering in the ER, try to find another doctor to shadow here, and find a job that's more career oriented. I'm not sure if it would be better to try to find a job at a hospital or, I know a Researcher at my university who says I could work in his lab but I would probably have to start at the bottom as a lab tech I. It's a biochem lab and he is researching different neuropathologies. Although as a lab tech, I don't know if that will really be the best work experience. Opinions?

As for academics, I don't know if I should retake the MCAT. I know I could better, however I've been told I should put all those hours of studying into something more useful like volunteering.
I also don't know if there's anything I can do about my gpa, although I've heard something about post-bacc classes. I'm canadian and I don't know if post-bacc is very popular here, so if someone could explain something about it that would be great.

Alright, that's about all I can think of. If anyone has any suggestions to my questions, or other alternatives altogether, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Phosphorus Ylide

Peace, love, and coffee.
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2009
Planet Earth
Status
Attending Physician
I would take some classes to boost up the undergrad gpa and retake the MCAT as a start. Other people can give you more info on health care experience and job shadowing. I don't know too much about that. Good luck.

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
You need to bring the GPA up. It doesn't need to be a formal post-bacc program, undergraduate science courses would suffice. I would recommend retaking the MCAT with the GPA you have and even the reparation you could do to it. A simple year of classes isn't going to dramatically improve the overall GPA however.