What can I do to improve my chances of getting into a MSTP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LACMA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi :)
I really really really want to shoot for an MD/PhD. I'd love to hear your thoughts on what I can do to improve my application. I have about a year and a half left before I apply.

Here are my stats:
I go to a small LAC. GPA: 3.99; haven't taken the MCAT yet.
Scribe, TA/tutor, Hospital Volunteer, Hospice Volunteer, Church Volunteer, and President of medical charity club, Music Teacher.

Biochem Research at home institution:
Since freshman year in one lab (1 year so far). 15 hours/ week. Included summer and winter breaks. No breaks but no publications yet either. Hopefully by the end of this year I'll have one.

Summer Program
This summer I got accepted to a program at a really small school close to my home institution. I talked to the PI (he's also my friend) and he's not exactly sure what experiments he wants to do yet. Not the most focused person in the world so I'm slightly concerned.... but he says he's hopeful about publishing.

I will be working both in this school's lab and the one at my home institution. It'll be about 50 to 60 hours a week of work.

Is this stuff enough to be competitive for a MSTP? Should I go get a master's degree to get a more "formal" research education? Should I take a year off to really focus on this research? Should I still apply MSTP if I don't have a single publication? ( I do have a lot of poster presentation and oral presentation experience at numerous conferences though)

I would really appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Time to start some research at a major academic medical center rather than these smaller institutions. The environment will be completely different from a liberal arts college.

Time to start some research at a major academic medical center rather than these smaller institutions. The environment will be completely different from a liberal arts college.

Thanks for your reply! How would I do that? Do I just start emailing PIs from the big name school in my area? Do you think I should take a gap year to do this? I'm going to be entering my junior year in the fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely -- it is somewhat late in the game for this summer but you may get lucky if you apply widely. Also, ask your current mentor if he knows anyone personally, that can go a long way. For your final summer of undergrad (next year), I would recommend applying to SURP/SURF programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Absolutely -- it is somewhat late in the game for this summer but you may get lucky if you apply widely. Also, ask your current mentor if he knows anyone personally, that can go a long way. For your final summer of undergrad (next year), I would recommend applying to SURP/SURF programs.

So even if I do get 1 publication from my current research, I won't be that competitive for MSTP? Pardon my ignorance, but can you please explain the differences between an LAC lab and a big academic medical center's lab?

Also, should I do clinical research instead of basic science? I enjoy basic science so so so much but it takes a really long time to get publishable data. I heard clinical research churns out papers really quickly.

Basic science is what is valued, especially in the MD/PhD world. I was speaking from a mere experience standpoint-- publications are nice, but not essential to get into a top MD/PhD program. Working at a major center with a well known PI will give you the experience of working in a large, multiple R01 funded environment, with postdocs, staff scientists, grad students, techs etc. you will see firsthand the lifestyle and demands of modern academic medicine. The ultimate goal of the mstp is to train leaders and innovators in medicine, so you should have a clear idea of what that is before deciding to embark on this long journey.

Basic science is what is valued, especially in the MD/PhD world. I was speaking from a mere experience standpoint-- publications are nice, but not essential to get into a top MD/PhD program. Working at a major center with a well known PI will give you the experience of working in a large, multiple R01 funded environment, with postdocs, staff scientists, grad students, techs etc. you will see firsthand the lifestyle and demands of modern academic medicine. The ultimate goal of the mstp is to train leaders and innovators in medicine, so you should have a clear idea of what that is before deciding to embark on this long journey.

Thank you so much!

I strongly disagree with ValentinNarcisse. There are a large number of MD/PhD students and graduates from small liberal arts colleges who did not perform biomedical research at a major academic research hospital. There are many very well regarded undergraduate institutions that don't have associated medical schools. You think someone from Princeton is at a disadvantage because they're doing research there in basic biochemistry? No, they're not at a disadvantage. Even the undergraduate students who do research at the "no name undergrads" without an associated medical school can be accepted to MSTPs. If you want to get experience as an undergrad at a different institution and you have that opportunity, it's something to consider. But it sounds like you currently have outstanding undergraduate opportunities available. I have no idea why you would want to leave.

I wrote in my sticky about the important things. GPA, MCAT, and years of research experience. Stop obsessing about all this other stuff. Focus in the lab on experience, learning, and fostering good relationships. If you can be productive as well, that's great. So, I have no idea what you are concerned about. What additional things could you possibly be worried about? Why would someone doing research all year long since freshman year with multiple conference presentations possibly need to get a master's degree? If the bar was that high, EVERYONE would need a master's degree. That is absolutely not the case. Get a high score on your MCAT. Keep doing research. Keep your GPA up. Do whatever ECs interest you. Calm down.

And for the billionth time, no, you don't need a publication to get into an MD/PhD program, including in the "top tier". Publications are more about nepotism and luck as an undergrad, i.e. the PI "he's also my friend" will help you get one. But that's not what really matters.

I strongly disagree with ValentinNarcisse. There are a large number of MD/PhD students and graduates from small liberal arts colleges who did not perform biomedical research at a major academic research hospital. There are many very well regarded undergraduate institutions that don't have associated medical schools. You think someone from Princeton is at a disadvantage because they're doing research there in basic biochemistry? No, they're not at a disadvantage. Even the undergraduate students who do research at the "no name undergrads" without an associated medical school can be accepted to MSTPs. If you want to get experience as an undergrad at a different institution and you have that opportunity, it's something to consider. But it sounds like you currently have outstanding undergraduate opportunities available. I have no idea why you would want to leave.

I wrote in my sticky about the important things. GPA, MCAT, and years of research experience. Stop obsessing about all this other stuff. Focus in the lab on experience, learning, and fostering good relationships. If you can be productive as well, that's great. So, I have no idea what you are concerned about. What additional things could you possibly be worried about? Why would someone doing research all year long since freshman year with multiple conference presentations possibly need to get a master's degree? If the bar was that high, EVERYONE would need a master's degree. That is absolutely not the case. Get a high score on your MCAT. Keep doing research. Keep your GPA up. Do whatever ECs interest you. Calm down.

And for the billionth time, no, you don't need a publication to get into an MD/PhD program, including in the "top tier". Publications are more about nepotism and luck as an undergrad, i.e. the PI "he's also my friend" will help you get one. But that's not what really matters.

Thank you so much for your input. I guess since I go to a pretty easy no name school I was worried I wouldn't be able to compete with the hundreds of applicants with amazing academic records from amazing schools. Thank you for calming my fears lol.

Sorry for obsessing, but.... Should I take a gap year? So that I can include a summer program next year in my application at a bigger school? Or should I just go for it at the end of my junior year?

Did you read my sticky? That really is my thought process. Seems like you'll have 3+ years of research by matriculation. That's pretty strong.

You're awesome. Thanks :)