What can I do to improve my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

PhiPhenomenon

Hey.

So this is a 'how do I improve my chances' thread as opposed to a 'what are my chances' thread. I feel like I know the latter but I'm looking for advice on the former. I'm hoping I can exploit some peeps who seem to have a hobby of assessing med school candidates because I'm pretty sure with the level of detail I'm providing, people would insist on me paying them.

I've posted here before about two years ago and what a remarkable two years it has been (no pre-reqs done at that time). In that time I only just finished my first semester of post-bacc at UBC in Canada (reason being primary economic, employment and affordable tuition abounds up here). I'm not particularly stoked at what I have just done to my GPA by giving it an additional 2.93 in 18 credits in all science & math courses (let that be a lesson to all those foolish enough to take a Calc I & II via distance ed...). I plan on taking ~65 more credits of course work, all sciences, before applying (much of which will be done in the summer). So *best* case scenario my cGPA goes up to ~3.4 and sGPA ~3.6. I think it is more likely to be cGPA up to ~3.3 and sGPA ~3.5 (currently, my cGPA is 3.07, sGPA 3.1 (turns out a psych course I took was classified as neuroscience)). I haven't taken the MCAT yet but will this September. I took my first diagnostic yesterday, didn't take it very seriously, and got a 26: PS 10, VR 8, BS 8 (obviously not up to code but considering I only finished one semester of everything but O-chem I'm pretty stoked about the PS score).

This is going to sound stupid but I have to ask. I've been looking over the AMCAS App for ECs and I'm *pretty* sure that you can include ECs that aren't med related but I'm not sure. Hence why I'm asking! Are they? :>

Here's the list:

Third Place at the 73-Hour Film Festival at Northern Arizona University
Intern Davie Brown Entertainment (3 months)
Intern Silver Pictures (3 months)
Radio DJ (5 months)
Mental Health Technician II (7 months: Think nurses aide on a psych ward that gives group therapy)
Volunteer at Physical Therapy Ward (9 months: 90 hours)
Mental Health Worker (8 months to present, 30 hours a week: Think mental health worker II with the additional responsibility of case planning, med distribution/education, and community integration)
Volunteer at Triage and Emergency Ward (8 months to present: 65 hours)
Pre-Med and BioChem, Pharm, Phys society (8 months to present)

I'm trying to get involved in research as we speak but haven't had any takers yet. (Probably going to have to do independent project next year)

I've decided that my best option would be to apply to an SMP, which I plan on starting in fall 2013 (gunning for Georgetown, Cinci, and EVMS).

So yeah... just scrolled up and I can't believe I typed all of that. Any advice guys? Anything seem superfluous or lacking?

p.s. If you're wondering Canadian Med School is a bitch to get into with GPA damage, hence why I'm interested in going to school in the states if I can. Also, I'd rather be an MD over DO just because I want my specialization options open.

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard to nail down your chances with incomplete information (meaning lack of specific GPA and no MCAT). However, since you're Canadian, it's going to be tough to get in to an American school. Are you saying you just finished your first semester of post-bacc with a 2.93 GPA in all BCPM courses with 18 credits for the semester? I hope that you understand that that isn't going to cut it for any med school on the continent (minus Mexico, which I have no idea about). You've really turned a bad situation into a very bad situation with the poor postbacc GPA. Do you have specific plans to fix your study habits? If you started a SMP (which would be an expensive proposition with no career prospects outside of medicine) are you 100% confident that you could get 3.7+ in medical school coursework?

Anyway, your EC's look ok but not great (although not enough to have someone overlook your current GPA). Yes, you can include all EC's, even if they're not medically related. You'll want some research if you can find it. All of the entertainment stuff looks like it's pushing past "hobby" and into the realm of "career" to me, so I would personally either explain any transition in your PS (keeping the tone of the PS entirely on "Why medicine?" but touching on the switch) or be prepared to explain it in interviews. Keep up the Emergency Ward volunteering.

Have you tried to get some shadowing? That's pretty much expected at US schools but I've heard that there are some legal complications with finding a willing doctor in Canada.

My problem with your EC list is that everything is listed in terms of "months" and not "years." It sounds like you've got time to change that though.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's hard to nail down your chances with incomplete information (meaning lack of specific GPA and no MCAT). However, since you're Canadian, it's going to be tough to get in to an American school. Are you saying you just finished your first semester of post-bacc with a 2.93 GPA in all BCPM courses with 18 credits for the semester? I hope that you understand that that isn't going to cut it for any med school on the continent (minus Mexico, which I have no idea about). You've really turned a bad situation into a very bad situation with the poor postbacc GPA. Do you have specific plans to fix your study habits? If you started a SMP (which would be an expensive proposition with no career prospects outside of medicine) are you 100% confident that you could get 3.7+ in medical school coursework?

Anyway, your EC's look ok but not great (although not enough to have someone overlook your current GPA). Yes, you can include all EC's, even if they're not medically related. You'll want some research if you can find it. All of the entertainment stuff looks like it's pushing past "hobby" and into the realm of "career" to me, so I would personally either explain any transition in your PS (keeping the tone of the PS entirely on "Why medicine?" but touching on the switch) or be prepared to explain it in interviews. Keep up the Emergency Ward volunteering.

Have you tried to get some shadowing? That's pretty much expected at US schools but I've heard that there are some legal complications with finding a willing doctor in Canada.

My problem with your EC list is that everything is listed in terms of "months" and not "years." It sounds like you've got time to change that though.

I'm actually a Canerican. When an American and a Canadian love each other very much you get me (and dual citizenship).

As to your inquiry about my BCPM from one semester, not quite. What happened was I took Calc I & II over the summer via distance Ed just to get into physics early which was a terrible, terrible mistake. Got a C in the former and a measly B in the latter. When the semester rolled around, I didn't have prereqs to sign up for upper level classes yet so I only took 12 credits and got 3.17 with: B (Chem + Lab), B (Bio Lab), B+ (Bio), B+ (Phys). I beat the average in each class by 10 percetnage points (a whole standard deviation in Chem btw) minimum but that still isn't an A. I'm in 16 credits this semester and getting into the groove of things... Yes, I am blushing with embarrassment after posting this.

I would go more in depth about my PS and transition from PR/Film into medicine but I feel that is a different thread for a different time.

I'm guessing we're of like minds that the most *probable* shot I have at admission is through an SMP? Let me just say I've been working to get into medicine for the past two and a half years and have done my research into this 'hail merry' of an approach with all of the risks associated with it.

p.s. Thanks for the input.

I don't think all is lost with your application because you have completed only a semester's worth of science courses.

I think you should consider moving to the States to establish residency in a state with forgiving medical schools, like Texas or Florida. And before signing up for an SMP, I would suggest completing at least two years worth of BPCM courses. If at that point your GPA is in the acceptable range, you may be able to get out of paying that much money. Also, diagnose your academic/ studying issues before stepping into the ring again and taking a tough course load. Many schools have academic and tutoring centers designed just for this--take advantage of those opportunities. As for research, don't do it till you are certain you can handle your course work. Even spectacular ECs and MCAT cannot make up for a bad GPA, so concentrate on strengthening that before taking on another responsibility. :luck:

PS- Yes, you can include non-medical ECs in the AMCAS app.

I don't think all is lost with your application because you have completed only a semester's worth of science courses.

I think you should consider moving to the States to establish residency in a state with forgiving medical schools, like Texas or Florida. And before signing up for an SMP, I would suggest completing at least two years worth of BPCM courses. If at that point your GPA is in the acceptable range, you may be able to get out of paying that much money. Also, diagnose your academic/ studying issues before stepping into the ring again and taking a tough course load. Many schools have academic and tutoring centers designed just for this--take advantage of those opportunities. As for research, don't do it till you are certain you can handle your course work. Even spectacular ECs and MCAT cannot make up for a bad GPA, so concentrate on strengthening that before taking on another responsibility. :luck:

PS- Yes, you can include non-medical ECs in the AMCAS app.

Huh, thanks doc I appreciate that. I was dabbling with the idea of getting a whole new BSc in that time since it is definitely way more useful than an SMP MS. The reason I even thought of it is because I'm pretty hell bent on trying to practice medicine as you've probably guessed. Not to mention it opens up one Canadian med school prospect (they only look at the GPA of your most recently completed baccalaureate degree).

BTW do you know how many hours the typical matriculate spends shadowing?

Huh, thanks doc I appreciate that. I was dabbling with the idea of getting a whole new BSc in that time since it is definitely way more useful than an SMP MS. The reason I even thought of it is because I'm pretty hell bent on trying to practice medicine as you've probably guessed. Not to mention it opens up one Canadian med school prospect (they only look at the GPA of your most recently completed baccalaureate degree).

BTW do you know how many hours the typical matriculate spends shadowing?

Per my understanding, the average is approximately 50 hours or so.