What can I do to improve over the next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heisenburger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN, avid reader here. Reposting this more appropriately here from pre-allo. Unsuccessful cycle with a broad list. Will apply much earlier in the cycle next time around but I'm looking for any advice to make it a confident cycle rather than a hopeful applicant with my fingers crossed.

The breakdown:

CA resident

508 MCAT (125/128/128/127)

My university gpa is a ~3.6c/3.4s in my last semester of undergraduate, with one (very) bad semester Freshman year that motivated my maturation as an academic. Earned As in all upper level science courses except Orgo (B+). 4.0 the last two semesters, should graduate with a university gpa of 3.6/3.45.

Unfortunately I took a bunch of dual-enrollment CC classes while in high school that pull my AMCAS gpa down (3.5/3.3).

ECs:

~500 hours paid assisted-living dementia care
~300 hours paid lab-technician
-Two summers of strong research that will eventually (not yet) end up with 2-3 publications (one in high-impact journal)
- One poster at a state-level conference, one at university-level conference
~150 hours of repeated mission trips
-100+ hours shadowing
-250+ hours of local volunteering
-multiple leadership positions on campus

How do I knock my next application cycle out of the park? I'm looking less for application cycle advice and more for how to strengthen myself on paper. Currently leaning towards SMP, open to any thoughts. Also, if we could refrain from quoting this post that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and advise.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest applying to at least 10 DO schools and you are competitive for all DO schools. The GPA-MCAT grid shows that you have only ~50% chance for a MD acceptance so you need to apply to DO schools also.

Reactions: 1 user
@Faha thank you for the feedback. I've already planned to add a good range of DO schools to my next application. I'm more concerned with how to increase my strength as an applicant in the meantime (1-2 years). If I want to increase my stats to be more competitive overall, is SMP, Post-bacc, or MCAT retake the best option?

@Faha thank you for the feedback. I've already planned to add a good range of DO schools to my next application. I'm more concerned with how to increase my strength as an applicant in the meantime (1-2 years). If I want to increase my stats to be more competitive overall, is SMP, Post-bacc, or MCAT retake the best option?

Your MCAT is fine and you are already competitive for DO schools. If you prefer MD then work on increasing your GPA through whatever path you choose.

Reactions: 1 user