What can I do to up my valubility?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gesykuh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Just a little bio about myself to get started-- I'm a junior currently attending WCU in the Chemistry-Biology major. I started here accepted into the pre-med program as a transfer this year, but now that time to apply to professional school is nearing, I have decided that my parents' dream of me going to medical school isn't one with which I am particularly comfortable. A few of my friends gearing up to apply to dental school this upcoming summer suggested pharmacy and it is the first career option that I have given thought to that I can actually see myself doing. However, I feel like even though I am not behind like everyone says, I have no volunteering/work experience in the pharmacy field, and I know that the first part of getting interviewed for any professional school in the health care field involves proving to the interviewer that you know what the field entails, and that you are equipped to handle the pressure. Because I would have to take the pcats sometime this summer and start to apply to pharmacy school less than a year from now I was wondering if all of the pharmacy enthusiasts could suggest some paths of action that would make my getting into pharmacy school a bit easier. I transferred into WCU with a 3.97 from community college-- all A's in my science classes and I expect A's and B's my first semester at an accredited 4-year university. My concern is that because I really only have about a year to get myself prepped and ready that the school I am applying to will see that even though I tried to figure out what the pharmacy industry is all about, my work and research was fairly short term. Suggestions please? Also, I know that the major obtained from a 4-yr university does not have to be science related as long as you have all of the necessary pre-reqs for pharmacy school. Do you think my choice of major will hurt me because it is not straight Chem and is more of a "pre-medical" major? Thank you for all your time and help!

Members don't see this ad.

Get a pharmacy internship ASAP and see how it goes for you. That's what I did and I had even less time to prepare for my application (4 months to be exact). At least for retail pharmacy, it is a high-stress environment and it's definitely worth taking the time to be in an internship and experience it first-hand.

As for the choice of major, it really shouldn't hurt you if you choose a major outside of chemistry. I'm a neurobiology, physiology and behavior major at my university, which is regarded as a major that heavily prepares you for medical school. As long as you're taking gen/o-chem and everything else necessary to fulfill your bio sci major, you'll be fine.

First is to recognize that valubility isn't a word. You can up your value. Value doesn't parse like availability.

Staple a $5 bill on your electronic pharmcas