What can schools see when I reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lindy19

Reaction score
So I applied this cycle 2020-2021 got one interview which I am now on the waitlist for. However I'm having some health complications that I need to spend time taking care of and thus cannot begin medical school in a few months should I get accepted. I know turning down an acceptance looks really bad. Would other schools be able to see that I turned down an acceptance? (I know applying to that same school next year is off the table). Alternatively, should I remove myself from the waitlist now to eliminate that possibility and if I do that, is that something schools will see? I didn't want to defer because I didn't exactly want to disclose medical issues to the school and doubted they would approve a deferral for a waitlisted candidate.

PS- I do not need chastising about my situation with my health, I just need info on what schools have access to thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

So I applied this cycle 2020-2021 got one interview which I am now on the waitlist for. However I'm having some health complications that I need to spend time taking care of and thus cannot begin medical school in a few months should I get accepted. I know turning down an acceptance looks really bad. Would other schools be able to see that I turned down an acceptance? (I know applying to that same school next year is off the table). Alternatively, should I remove myself from the waitlist now to eliminate that possibility and if I do that, is that something schools will see? I didn't want to defer because I didn't exactly want to disclose medical issues to the school and doubted they would approve a deferral for a waitlisted candidate.

PS- I do not need chastising about my situation with my health, I just need info on what schools have access to thank you.
No judging at all about health -- just a reminder that, as you know, As are very difficult to come by, and med schools of all institutions, should be understanding of health issues. If it were me, I'd stay on the WL and then ask for the deferral if and when you receive an A. If you get it, you are done. And, if not, then the decision will be made for you. Waaay better than not asking for a deferral, withdrawing from the WL, going through this again, striking out, and then playing "what if?"

To directly answer your question -- schools can't see anything regarding prior cycles and other schools. They will only know you turned down an A if they ask and you tell them. They don't ask about prior WLs or Rs, so that is not an issue. Finally, as I'm sure you know, you are only a reapplicant at the schools you previously applied to. Of course, they have records of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So I applied this cycle 2020-2021 got one interview which I am now on the waitlist for. However I'm having some health complications that I need to spend time taking care of and thus cannot begin medical school in a few months should I get accepted.
Very sorry to hear of this. If you get an acceptance, ask for a a deferral. That's what they're for. If they say no, and you turn down the accept, no school would fault you for turning down an accept.

Also keep in mind that not all schools ask about accepts.

I know turning down an acceptance looks really bad. Would other schools be able to see that I turned down an acceptance? (I know applying to that same school next year is off the table).

Alternatively, should I remove myself from the waitlist now to eliminate that possibility and if I do that, is that something schools will see? I didn't want to defer because I didn't exactly want to disclose medical issues to the school and doubted they would approve a deferral for a waitlisted candidate.

This is what deferral is for? I have several friends who had to take deferrals because they had to serve in the military. I think your health complication should be a reasonable accommodation for deferral. However, you gotta get that A first!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Very sorry to hear of this. If you get an acceptance, ask for a a deferral. That's what they're for. If they say no, and you turn down the accept, no school would fault you for turning down an accept.

Also keep in mind that not all schools ask about accepts.
Thank you. I've heard that turning down an A looks very bad. But that's assuming they know of it, so unless they ask would a different school know of a past A? I'm seeing completely mixed answers on SDN. Some say there's something called a National Acceptance Report by the AAMC where schools can see past acceptances, others say this isn't true.

Thank you. I've heard that turning down an A looks very bad. But that's assuming they know of it, so unless they ask would a different school know of a past A? I'm seeing completely mixed answers on SDN. Some say there's something called a National Acceptance Report by the AAMC where schools can see past acceptances, others say this isn't true.
Turning down an accept does look bad, but for some people there ARE valid reasons.

The National Acceptance Report is no longer valid due fears of anti-trust or collusion concerns.

If you know now that you can’t attend medical school next year withdraw now before you are accepted. You could and probably should mention that you are withdrawing for a medical reason. Good luck.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users