Sep 6, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi, I am currently a junior in an undergraduate Aerospace program. I recently found a passion for the medical field. Before this I was driven into depression because of a multitude of things including the fact that I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life and because of this my G.P.A is low. I am continuing aerospace as a backup and will most likely end with a 3.3-3.6 G.P.A. I am wondering whether it is too late to start taking biology classes and start studying for the MCAT? I really just want advice on whether it's realistic for me to do it within 2-3 years. I was thinking about switching to a different engineering major so that I could boost my G.P.A but again I am not sure.

Thanks for any help

candbgirl

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
It's never too late if that's what you want to do. You could finish up your degree and then do a DIY post bac for the prerequisites while working on your ECs. Then take the MCAT and apply. You seem to be open to a couple of gap years so maybe that's how you should proceed.
But first get yourself totally well. You don't want to go to med school with any unaddressed depression issues. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: Goro

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
It's never too late if that's what you want to do. You could finish up your degree and then do a DIY post bac for the prerequisites while working on your ECs. Then take the MCAT and apply. You seem to be open to a couple of gap years so maybe that's how you should proceed.
But first get yourself totally well. You don't want to go to med school with any unaddressed depression issues. Good luck.
Agree 100% and to reiterate Candy's wise words: Medical school is a furnace, and I've seen it break even healthy students. The #1 reason my school loses students to withdrawal, dismissal or LOA is to unresolved mental health issues.

About the Ads