1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

What can you do w/ an Economics Major?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by FLY, Oct 12, 2002.

1. FLY

FLY Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

maybe be wrong ask this question at a Pre-Med/Science place; but what do PEOPLE do w/ an ECON degree?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    They apply to medical school:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

4. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Oh you were serious... sorry.

I am only guessing but they might go get MBA's, or MS's and teach school

5. kreno

kreno Candy Man
    7+ Year Member

Good question. I'm a physiology and economics double major - long story! But I'm so glad I'm doubling in economics. There are LOTS of ways it can help.

First and foremost... it drastically opens you up to the world outside of the science major types out there. And, economics is a practical major - i mean... economics is one of the fundimental challenges civilization.

With that in mind... I think my economics training will come into play as I pursue my MD/MPH (masters in health). Especially, of course, if I specialize in Public Policy or related fields.

Of course, if you don't get into med school... an economics major is a lot more practical than a science major to get a job out of high school (usually).

6. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

All these Ivy kids want to go into I-banking and maybe consulting. ;)

7. crazyA

crazyA Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

back in the boom time of the year 2000, it was still very feasible to get good business jobs with an econ degree...but from my observations, only people with finance or accountancy degrees could get the really lucrative I-banking jobs...

so everyone i know with an econ degree is either right now in med school, wokring in the business World, or in grad school

but it really is a fascinating field

8. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't think we even have finance or accounting as a major here, but plenty of I-bankers (roommate has interviews at Morgan Stanley, Solomon, JPMorgan, etc). There's only one accounting class, and only seniors get in.

9. Iain

Iain Semental Blanco
    7+ Year Member

Right now very few I-Banks are hiring; most of them have laid off quite a number of staff.

My advice is to find a job that you can gain some decent experience (if there is a specific feild/industry taylor your search towards networking and experience in that) as right now finding a decent job is tough!

Best of luck!!!

10. kito

kito Big Evil
    10+ Year Member

with all due respect to those who love the field (and i know i'm going to take flak on this one), unless one wants to be an academic practitioner or a policy maker, it is the among the more mundane and rewardless fields of endeavor. in other words, you can't make any real money learning or doing it, at least not in a realistic market.

11. kreno

kreno Candy Man
    7+ Year Member

As a "PLAIN" econ major, I agree. You have to keep going to get an MBA/MASTERS to do anything productive... unless you are a 4.0 student from a good schoool then you can get a respectable job somewhere - but that's it.

I was talking more about the people who are economics majors planning on going into medicine. For those people, the economics background is invaluable.

12. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

If you're Ivy, you don't need a 4.0 at all...I don't know about other places.

13. abw

abw Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi everyone,
    I decided to major in econ because the field interested me even though i was going to apply to medical school. My whole four years, my dad wanted me to follow in his footsteps into the financial world (he's a stockbroker). He didn't care if i was a stockbroker as long as i did something business-related. While he was trying to influence me towards that career, though, he always told me NOT to major in business or econ. In fact, he said he was the only person in his office (Merrill Lynch) who had a business-related degree. Everyone else ranged from Shakespeare to art history. All they're looking for in the business world is your sales/managing/etc. raw talent - they want to be able to train you from scratch.
    As for what you can do with an econ degree, I'm now getting my m.p.h., which complements an m.d. (cross my fingers i get accepted to med school). But i also my resume into a job search for the fun of it, and was offered teaching jobs, banking jobs, and government jobs (finance through f.b.i). Pretty much anything that's business or social science related.
    Just my $.02 - hope it helps!

14. saiyagirl

saiyagirl Guest

from a fellow economics major, there are a billion things you can do. if you sell it right, you can do ANYTHING with an econ major...econ is about allocating scarce resources, whether money, healthcare, edcuation, etc. for most of these you only need a bachelor's degree (unless you want to teach at a college level or want a raise)

here is a small list.

1. finance (i-banking, consulting)
    2. trading
    3. policy (private or public)
    4. law (the possibilities are endless here)
    5. medicine (like me!)
    6. teaching
    7. pubilc health/MPH (econ is esp useful here)
    8. ethics (concerning the allocation of recources, such as healthcare, public goods, etc)
    9. other business related fields
    10. non-profit
    11. grad school
    12. journalism
    13. MBA
    14. entreprenurial (small business)
    15. other business type things

econ is the most popular major at my school. note for #1,2, you need an AWESOME gpa, awesome work experience, and an awesome undergrad helps too. it's a tough economy.