What can you do with an MA in psych?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shanageena

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I am wondering if you could help me to understand what I can do with an MA in psych. Could I do therapy and work with patients by myself or do I need to be affiliated with a Ph.D. or a Psy.D.? The two programs I am looking at are at Pepperdine, the MA in Clinical Psych or the MA in Family and Marriage Counseling.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Shana

Members don't see this ad.

You can get licensed as a profesional counselor with a master's in counseling or clinical psychology. You can also get licensed as a marriage and family counselor. You can do therapy in a variety of locations and private practice. You do not have to have a PhD or PsyD to do therapy with clients, although the PhD or the PsyD will allow you the greatest career options and master's level therapists must always (I think) receive supervision from doctoral level psychologists.

Salsybabe said:
You can get licensed as a profesional counselor with a master's in counseling or clinical psychology. You can also get licensed as a marriage and family counselor. You can do therapy in a variety of locations and private practice. You do not have to have a PhD or PsyD to do therapy with clients, although the PhD or the PsyD will allow you the greatest career options and master's level therapists must always (I think) receive supervision from doctoral level psychologists.

Conversely, if you have research interests or are planning to do a Ph.D. at some point, an MA would qualify you for a project coordinator-type position.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can be a higher paid research assistant.

You can work as a waiter/waitress. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Salsybabe said:
... master's level therapists must always (I think) receive supervision from doctoral level psychologists.

An MA or MS can practice independently once licensed - as an LPC or MFT, for example. Specifics vary by state, but typically, licensure only requires 2-3 years of supervised experience. (Applies to both masters and Phd's.)

(Of course there are other requirements, like passing the boards. ;) )

MissMuffet said:
An MA or MS can practice independently once licensed - as an LPC or MFT, for example. Specifics vary by state, but typically, licensure only requires 2-3 years of supervised experience. (Applies to both masters and Phd's.)

Bingo.

I got a M.A. in General Psych and am going through the process now of trying to find a job in the field that does not require either a doctorate or a license (both take the time and money that I don't have being a full time stay at home Mom, though I have worked as a teacher recently.) Any advice on what IS available (besides food service!) ;) for someone like me??

It does vary greatly by state, some states require additional coursework (along with mentioned supervision) to qualify as an LPC/LMHC or MFT. Sometimes you can add that in as electives and some schools don't offer such in their "psychology" programs as they consider you stepping on to a doctorate or prep for research assistant. Better off if you just want to do masters level counseling to get a degree in such vs. psychology.

If you want just an MA in psych, you need to find 'terminal' degrees, such as LPC, Masters in Family Therapy, or Masters in Mental Health Counseling that can be licensed in your state (or the state you intend to reside; search for your state's office of professions, like here for New York State: http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/mhp/)

Otherwise, you will have essentially a 'resume builder' masters, which is what my first masters degree in general psych was (you pick up another master degree along with your doctoral training). Sure, I got a pay increase as a clinical research coordinator but any and all patient contact was limited to supervision by my Principle Investigator, who was either an MD or a licensed psychologist. I do not regret this degree (or the loans incurred by it) because it got me where I wanted to be (in a doctoral program) but I was very limited in my state with what I could do independently. There was one period in my life when I was considering alternative paths to doctoral programs, and with the MA in psych, I considered going into research and development in pharmaceuticals (mainly psychotropic meds), so that is one path. But, I am not good in sales, and was not fundamentally excited about this option so kept chugging away at getting my doctorate.

A masters will help demonstrate research abilities, research interests, stamina, intellectual ability, and the like, but it often does not fare well in the fields of patient care/clinical work unless you get a terminal degree in which you can be licensed.‎

Last edited:
If you want just an MA in psych, you need to find 'terminal' degrees, such as LPC, Masters in Family Therapy, or Masters in Mental Health Counseling that can be licensed in your state

This. If your considering a masters in psych and want to be able to be licensed to practice independently, you need to confirm that the program will prepare you for licensure as an LMHC, MFT, or whatever it's called where you want to be licensed. Many such programs don't give MAs in Psych, but are rather are there own programs (e.g. Masters in mental health counseling).

I got a M.A. in General Psych and am going through the process now of trying to find a job in the field that does not require either a doctorate or a license (both take the time and money that I don't have being a full time stay at home Mom, though I have worked as a teacher recently.) Any advice on what IS available (besides food service!) ;) for someone like me??

So you already have an MA in general psych and want to find a job correct?

Most people I have known that do not have a clinical emphasis to their masters degree have gone on to be research coordinators at universities. I have also known a few to work on college campuses in departments such as student affairs or testing and disability services. I know another girl who works with study abroad. Finally in my state there is an increased need for auditors for things like research studies and patient care in mental health settings. This is just my experience but hopefully you will gain some ideas of where to look

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

You could adjunct at a couple colleges if teachings your passion. Just keep in mind that your at the mercy of the department and can lose your position very quickly. Also the pay isn't that good so try to have another job