What can you do with an MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DemonDeacon

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The answers are all throughout posts, so it would be fabulous if you can let us know what exactly you can do with the degree. For instance, can you be a head of a clinic? Can you be a regular doc? Can you do just research? Can you just teach? Thanks in advance!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

One of our resident MSTP students, Habari, has created a website about applying to MSTP programs. It contains a guidebook by another MSTP student, Jeremy Cholfin. Here's the following link to the guidebook:

MSTP Guidebook

Click on the link called "Post-graduation."

Hope that helps.

The answer to all of those is 'yes', but you should definitely start by reading the MSTP guidebook and then doing a search on this site.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read that part of the guidebook, I just wanted what you guys had in mind specifically. Thanks!

In my experience, there is a party line that the training programs stay relatively close to. Within and beyond that there is a range of career opportunities among MSTP graduates. Many do residencies, some don't. Some spend most of their time in the clinic, others spend a lot of time in the clinic until they get tenure and then head towards more lab work, others do it part time for most of their careers. Many are in academics, some are in private practice or work for biotech or in the pharm. industry.

There's a series of articles in science magazine's next wave section written by people about every step of the way and its joys and hassles. Jot has a neat article in there as well.

http://nextwave.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/2003/10/22/4

After you've grown tired of the websites, the best way to find out if it feels right for you is to talk to MD/PhD program graduates with whom you identify and ask them what they thought of the training and how it helped them get to their current position.