What can you possibly do with bio major degree???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddsshin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, I am guessing more than half of the students applying to dental schools are science related majors. I am going to apply next week and want to make money before I get admitted to D school. What can you do with bio major degree? Where do you guys work??

Members don't see this ad.

What can you NOT do with a biology major?

With a biology major, you have the opportunities to work in a research lab at state universities, private universities, government labs, and private corporation laboratories. I worked in a private corporation laboratory.

Pretty much nothing, unless you're big on research and/or teaching.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty much nothing, unless you're big on research and/or teaching.

Lol...I agree....haha.

Also, you might not even be able to do that unless you have research experience as an undergraduate.

Just the bio degree in and of itself is useless because employers often want at least a year of experience.

Furthermore, entry level positions are hard to come by; nearly every tom dick and harry company wants some form of experience.

So, in conclusion....

Bio degree + research experience or Bio degree + "you know the right people" and your prospects are a bit more open for employment.

Welcome to real world!

Nothing.. most jobs are looking for masters.. I'll prob wait tables the semester before dental school starts :(.

Right now i am applying for dental assistant job. Studying hard for 5-6 years in college and now work as Dental assistant. Sad, isn't it?

These days a Bachelors degree is not worth the paper it's printed on.

a dude i know couldn't find a job no matter how hard he tried, he didn't even get a single interview after like 6 months of looking. bio degrees are pretty ****ty and even a masters isn't worth anything if you are looking for a career. you will need a ph.d. if you want to make any good money. even professors don't make any money unless they have been there for like 30+ years.

In my year off Ive been doing promos and it pays great... (i usually get about 20+ an hour) but the hours aren't steady and I work AT MOST 6 days a month. (which you need no education for, it's based soley on looks)

I substituted in a high school too... that's close to 100 a day, and easy hours... and flexible. (which you only need ony 60 college credits for)

Other than that, with a bio degree you could be a Pharm Rep, but by the time you build up a real client list and stuff you'd be off in dental school (so its not really worth it in my opinion)

I also was offered jobs at environmental consulting firms... basically they will have you out there sampling water and landfill sites... but I realized I didnt want a 9-5 on my year off... I wanted to spend time with my son and relax.

pick up chicks of course

I got my BS in Bio this last spring and I do research now as a research tech, pay is pretty good and the job is pretty sweet.

Members don't see this ad :)
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FUN OR INTERESTING. I already have my degree and now I am just taking extra classes while waiting to get in dental school....(just language classes or special interest classes)....not planning on working anywhere with it.....i wish i got another degree that could have gotten me a more interseting job and wished I applied to dental school along time ago so I don't have all of these times off.... I thought BIO was a good degree for all of the prereqs that I had to take for dental school......

ok, I am guessing more than half of the students applying to dental schools are science related majors. I am going to apply next week and want to make money before I get admitted to D school. What can you do with bio major degree? Where do you guys work??

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FUN OR INTERESTING. I already have my degree and now I am just taking extra classes while waiting to get in dental school....(just language classes or special interest classes)....not planning on working anywhere with it.....i wish i got another degree that could have gotten me a more interseting job and wished I applied to dental school along time ago so I don't have all of these times off.... I thought BIO was a good degree for all of the prereqs that I had to take for dental school......

LOL wow this sounds a little cynical, my job is definitely interesting and no job that most of us can obtain would be considered fun! Unless you worked for next to nothing! There are interesting jobs that you can get with your BS in bio and make some decent money before d-school.

also you gotta learn how to sell yourself. most bio majors are nerds and have zero social skills, like that guy i was talking about. you have to network, etc.

sell myself? screw that.....thats prostitution....

just make sure you choose the right UNDERGRADUATE degree ( unlike me) that you like so if you don't start dental school yet then you can get a good job that you like (unlike me)....after you graduate so you don't have alot of time off just taking extra classes (like me)....

also you gotta learn how to sell yourself. most bio majors are nerds and have zero social skills, like that guy i was talking about. you have to network, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
i worked in a neuro science lab and got paid 12 bucks an hour. i hated it. then i worked as an admitting clerk, an ER tech, PACU tech (all those paid about 15 an hour) I am working on a respiratory therapy certificate so i can finally have a real job. then got into med school. decided not to do that and am now applying to AA school. BIO degree=worthless. if

u are pre med or pre whatever get a allied health certificate so u can make decent money and get healthcare experiance, take your prereqs at the cheapest school u can fine and get an online BS in something stupid. u wont be broke and youll have a good gpa.

I have worked for almost 4 years as a scientist for a private Biotech company. Honestly, saying you're a scientist sounds cooler than saying you're a dentist.

"What do you do?"
-"i'm a Scientist"
"wow! That sounds to far above me...what do you do there?"
-"Science"

In my undergrad I made $8.20 doing PCR/sequencing. Now I average $13/hr waiting tables.

Bio master's is pretty useless is the general consensus.

people are actually more willing to recruit BS more because they can pay them less.

Experience is also key. In 20 years you will be making ~70-80k as a research assistant, starting at ~40k as a master's.

Comparably, people who have engineering BS or in other fields come out of university doing 100k/year.

Last edited:
graduated last year and still looking for job. did couple research as an undergrad. bio is freaken useless unless you get certified in something. I knew i had a year and no money to get certified in anything. freaken useless bio. other majors are way better. even english....

Anything you could do with most other 4 year degrees. My friend is a financial manager after spending 3 yrs in that industry with a bio degree. Dont limit yourself and think about a minor.

So basically if you get a bio Bs. and want to stay in the science field you wont make more than 10-12$ at max. I mean even Phd in bio cant get jobs so they just stay at univ. and try to conduct more research.

But if you do something like M.s. in business for 1 year after you bs in bio. or something along the lines. You can expect to find a good job and earn $50-60k starting salary.

Well good question.

I started working when I was sixteen because of my family situation.
Here are some of the jobs I took to make money:

Lawn mower, construction, retail cashier, teller, watch repair, jewelry repair, charity ambassador, cell phone salesperson, lab assistant now.

You should try some work as a contractor. I worked for Monsanto as a lab tech for 6 months and made 14.50 and hour...the job only required an associates degree and a lil experience ( i extracted DNA in an undergrad lab previously). I did this contract job right before I graduated. I graduated in May 2008 and started working for a large chemical company in Technical Support, which was pretty much the door to the corporate side there. My title with a bachelors degree was Associate Technical Service Scientist. The Scientists have masters and the Ph.ds are Senior Scientists. The pay was good. If I didnt get into dental school I would have let them pay for me to get an MBA and just worked on the corporate side there...With a bachelors you can either be a technician in some lab or you can try the corporate side of a scientific company.

I forgot to say in my last post, the bachelors degree pay in my position started at 39000....My friend is a Scientist with a Masters who came in making 56000....Havent confirmed the starting Senior Scientist (Ph.d) salary but online, I think its glass door, says close to 70-80K.