What can you say about this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alekshura2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question. I am currently taking classes at a community college. I have taken all the requirements for dental school in cc. Can i still give it a try and apply for 2010 cycle, or do they require me to have some university credits. I do not have a bachelors degree, so i want to apply only with the required classes that were given. Anybody aware of this?

Members don't see this ad.

The Best place to check is each individual schools website.. But I am pretty sure that you have to have at least 90 hours of undergrad to be elligible.
I know DocToothache put up a list of how many applicants got into each school and their level of acedemic accomplishment (No degree, undergrad degree, masters, etc.).. If you search you may find it. or someone else could post the link.

I was jusst wondering if schools even except people that have no university credits but only CC credits.

It really depends on your situation. If you're (for example) a non degree professional (like a plumber or an electrician or something) who has been in the work force for a number of years, or you have a degree in a completely unrelated field, then just taking the pre-reqs at a community college and applying with a half way decent chance of being accepted is viable. If not, then without a degree, or atleast some major showing of some higher division classes, you don't stand too much of a chance. Something like less than 1% of all acceptances don't have a degree - even though some dental schools SAY you don't have to have a degree, it's really a *wink wink* *nudge nudge* when they say it most of the time.

Since you've completed most of the hard classes of callege already, you might as well transfer to a university and complete a biology degree (which the pre-reqs for dental school set you up for). For a variety of resons (moste of which I disagree with), dental schools look down on CC's, and although I took all of my pre-reqs at my CC, I needed to show them that I could also do well at the higher division.