What career (if any) would you choose if you were filthy rich?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think we need to define "filthy rich."

Are we talking rich enough to live in comfort without ever having to work, even at managing our money?

Or are we talking medium size country GDP rich?

Members don't see this ad.

liverotcod said:
I think we need to define "filthy rich."

Are we talking rich enough to live in comfort without ever having to work, even at managing our money?

Or are we talking medium size country GDP rich?

lol

What do you mean by GDP rich??

Gross Domestic Product.

As in being as rich as a country.

Members don't see this ad :)
gujuDoc said:
Let us all remember that even the wealthy have their fair share of problems. Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing at all, is free in life. Remember that much if nothing else.

Well said!

However, I do get free pens, coffee mugs, etc. from pharma companies all the time ;)

Kazema said:
Gross Domestic Product.

As in being as rich as a country.

Muchos gracias for the clarification.

See, the thing is, I wouldn't want to be that rich. Because then you have the responsibility of deciding what to do with the money. I would never, for example, want to win a big lottery. It's all well and good to spend some reasonable amount of money made by the sweat of my brow. But "filthy rich" kind of money would be unpleasant, I think.

Especially being Gates rich, or rich as a country. Then you're like a president, the worst job in the world.

NRankin said:
I'd still become a doctor, but I'd dedicate a lot of my time to helping those who can't afford medical care. :D
If you were filthy rich, you could help a TON more people by opening up a free clinic by PAYING other docs to work there. That way the poor wouldn't be screwed while you spend 8 years in training.

BrettBatchelor said:
If you were filthy rich, you could help a TON more people by opening up a free clinic by PAYING other docs to work there. That way the poor wouldn't be screwed while you spend 8 years in training.
Oooh, good one. ;)

Hmm, if I were filthy rich, I would still be a doctor. Of course with all that paper, I'd buy myself one of those prestigious med schools and then just bypass the system, that way I've saved tons of time without any of the hassel. Instead of giving my money out to charities, I'd just start up my own non-profit organizations and make sure that 100% of my money was going towards research and not lining the pockets of those running the charities. After that, I'd travel around the world, twice. Trying to see all parts of various countries not just the tourist sights all the while learning languages.

You know what you all...........

It is so easy for us to say we would go and save the world by creating all the free clinics blah blah blah.......

But at the end of the day it is real hard to say what we would do if we were born to free wealth. We are a product of our life experiences and if we were raised filthy rich and never had to work for anything we might have a lot different outlook on life then if we were poor and had to earn our way to the top.

It is so easy to be idealistic, but the truth of the matter is one has to question how many of you would really go through opening all the free clinics in the world.

Also, there would ba lot of liability if you did such, doctor's salaries, insurance payments, other hospital employment etc. etc.

It is so easy to say the above but not necessarily the truthful answer of what would happen in my opinion.

phunkeyfantom said:
Hmm, if I were filthy rich, I would still be a doctor. Of course with all that paper, I'd buy myself one of those prestigious med schools and then just bypass the system, that way I've saved tons of time without any of the hassel. Instead of giving my money out to charities, I'd just start up my own non-profit organizations and make sure that 100% of my money was going towards research and not lining the pockets of those running the charities. After that, I'd travel around the world, twice. Trying to see all parts of various countries not just the tourist sights all the while learning languages.
I like that one. Good idea.

But you're right, gujuDoc. Who knows what we'll all REALLY do if we were born with silver spoons in our mouths.

Guju, I said I would open clinics, NOT work in them. With the providing power of filthy richness, it would be pointless to actually go become a doctor yourself.

If your motivations are to help people, paying more docs to run your clinic will help more people than you providing service.

If it is to learn about the human body and science, buy a library full of books or have someone one on one instruct.

Basically if you were filthy rich, the rigors of a traditional medical education are just not sensible. If I was close to finishing I would however.

Invest the money into Matrix style information upgrades technology. Then it would only take 15 min to learn all of the med school subjects. :smuggrin:

I'd open up a wildlife rehab center or at least work for one.

i'd buy FOX News and then shut it down.

Ifellinapothole said:
i'd buy FOX News and then shut it down.
Haha, that's hilarious. Or better yet, buy it, but CHANGE it. Make it report REAL news. None of that super conservative crap they put on it.

Belfagor said:
My grandmother always told me to find a job I would love to do without pay, and I'd be relatively happy.

What career (if any at all) would you choose assuming that you never had to work a day in your life to support a great lifestyle?

I would still try to be a doctor because its worthwhile. But, sicne i don't need money, i would just work whenever and wherever the hell i wanted to. For example, maybe spend 10 years in medical school so it would be less stressful, and work twice a month when i get bored of doing nothing and wanna do something worthwhile.

and no bowties :laugh:

I would apply for Paris Hilton's job - whatever that is

I mean - if waste of space is in fact a real job?

I've been thinking about this, and I recently remembered that I finally figured what I had always wanted to do with my life. Be a fighter pilot. Unfortunately, I don't have perfect vision and I'm not at least 6'2, which is the cutoff.

Back to the drawing board.