what causes a bad relation with a boss when you have a new job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amphetamine Salts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
at my last job that i was forced to leave before i was inevitably going to get fired: i went in doing pretty decent. i am not a confrontational person and usually follow the work flow and perform the required tasks. for some reason though the rxm and store manager flagged me after 2 months of working as a "problem". from that point they saw me as a burden because the DM had to get involved and thought i had performance deficients due to negative floater evals. basically this situation started off bad and went spiraling downward to the point where i had to leave. i'm wondering what usually causes these bad relations to happen? i think the negative floater evals set this in motion and then it went down from there. these negative evals though were 100% bull**** and wrote by sour co-workers at stores. literally the people who filled them out were insane and had mental issues. it was bonkers. and this is what was used to set in motion my "performance deficients". then some customer complaints got thrown in, which made things worse

now i have a new job. i want to make sure i don't repeat these failures again. are these bad relations common because of garbage circumstance like what happened to me?

Members don't see this ad.

This is just from your perspective. How about you own up to some of your flaws and accept that you may be performing poorly? If you accept this, you can reflect on these criticisms and view them as constructive to help you in the future. What were these negative evals exactly saying? In what areas do you perform poorly?

Maybe do some self reflection about what they wrote in those forms.

I’m not saying this towards you specifically, but now that I’m with Wags I can see both sides of the coin. Some stores are ****shows, but you do your best and try your best to make sure the techs think of you as a hardworker.

On the other hand, I’ve met some floaters that are flat out lazy. I legitimately wonder how they made it this far in life. No interpersonal skills, can’t communicate with techs or patients. I’m in a mandatory counsel state. Watching them fumble thru an antibiotic is sad. And to top it off they are slow as balls at verifying, F1 and F4.... And they can’t even figure out how to delegate fill (ie tech who knows where everything is pulls and you fill if you’re just two, etc...)

I would do some self reflection on the points mentioned in those evals and use it to improve.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
almost all the evals were 99% fabricated, it's a fact. can't really take value out of something that is a total fabrication. when you toss aside all the fabricated evals you're left with perhaps a handful of legitimate, fair, and honest evals. which were 50/50 in terms of performance when i was first starting out. at this point, most of my work is solid

you will not get reality from floater evals. a portion of them are complete fabrications. i'm not sure why they are so heavily used, system should be changed to be honest. thankfully though i'm done with wags, never again. out of that stupid mess

Maybe do some self reflection about what they wrote in those forms.

I’m not saying this towards you specifically, but now that I’m with Wags I can see both sides of the coin. Some stores are ****shows, but you do your best and try your best to make sure the techs think of you as a hardworker.
this didn't matter when i was with wags. the bar for success is: "do not make any mistakes or get any complaints. if you do, i don't care if you did 1 million other positive things and generated this district an extra $10k in revenue, i will write you up and you will soon be terminated"

yeah. such a wonderful environment. so beautiful and majestic, perfect growth encouragement

this is what i was going through, it was surreal while i was in it. now i look back at it, and it certainly does seem off

Last edited:
Which job did you end up taking?

Sometimes you just get unlucky and work with unreasonable people. Sometimes you have personality conflicts. Sometimes you just have to swallow your pride and be the person who makes things work. If things are toxic, just hold on until you can find a better fit.

Edit: I hope you took the cannabis job just so you can tell us what it's like.

From a PIC perspective, floaters that have gotten my ire (and I have been lucky only to have one or two people I ever really disliked) are ones that are:

1. Lazy.....don't leave a mess for me to clean up the next day. If I leave a problem that needs to be resolved during the float's shift, I don't want to come back to the issue unresolved/in the same spot on the counter I left. If we are working together, show that you are trying to help carry the load. It is just as transparent when an RPh is trying to get away with doing the bare minimum as it is when you see techs doing the same.

2. Floaters that think they are the boss. I am all for a floater running the pharmacy with authority when I am off, but don't go against my SOPs when I am gone. It undermines my authority with the techs. Also, openly questioning how things are done and sharing this opinion with the techs...please don't do this. If you think there is a better way to do something, come to me personally. Most reasonable people don't mind at all if someone has a suggestion if they are respectful about it. I had one floater that did this constantly in front of the techs and I made sure they didn't regularly come back to my store.

3. Showing bad customer service and constantly having to put out fires with customers after your shift. We can't make every customer happy and complaints happen, but at least make sure if there is a complaint, there is a logical train that shows you did your best to diffuse the situation and tried to come up with possible solutions/alternatives before the customer interaction totally broke down. Nothing will annoy a PIC more than constantly having to come back the next day to clear up complaints/hear from customers about "that rude pharmacist," especially with the long term regulars. Fair or not, if I get a string of complaints about a floater, especially from my more reasonable customers, it is going to raise a red flag with me about that floater's ability to communicate effectively to my customer base. Don't try to win arguments with customers, but try your best to diffuse. If you can show that you tried and the patient was simply unreasonable/you simply couldn't give them what they wanted to avoid the complaint, I will back you up wholeheartedly.

4. Never asking for feedback and being unable to handle constructive criticism without getting overly defensive. There is nothing wrong with giving your side on feedback, but I don't want to go 10 rounds every time I suggest something for a floater to improve on for the store to run smoothly. If there is an issue I have with how a floater does something and they just keep on doing it after we talked about it, it makes me think they have a bad attitude and I will run into the same issues again and again. No one wants to work with someone that won't listen to you or respect you. I don't know you, but from your previous posts, this seems like an area you really need to work on. People won't go to bat for you if you won't listen to them and disregard their opinions. I know our online personas are typically different and exaggerated forms of how we interact in real life, but you give off a very arrogant and immature vibe on here...not a good combo in retail pharmacy.

5. ****LACKING ATTENTION TO DETAIL**** You can be the greatest person in the world and great to get along with, but if a floater is constantly making dispensing errors, insurance/reimbursement errors, hanging fridge items in bags, incorrectly counseling, etc in the pharmacy, I do not want them in my pharmacy. From the PIC perspective, we can be held responsible for your mistakes and we also don't want to deal with mistakes that hurt the store's bottom line, and in effect, how the PICs performance is viewed by corporate.

6. Not knowing company/store policies as well as the general laws and state board regulations. Pretty self explanatory, but don't make a PIC worry you aren't properly counseling, don't know company policy on fills/insurance billing/control fills/etc and in general are doing something the board may come to get the PIC with. Ultimately, any board order is going to reflect on the PIC and I don't want someone there that will endanger my license and job.

7. Don't be a jerk to the techs. Similar to what I said about customer service/general interpersonal skills.

Take what you will from another long post by me, but those are the things I can think of off the top of my head. At your new job, I recommend you lay low, be friendly, ask for feedback, and get the lay of the land to figure out what it is that is expected of you and what unique personality quirks your boss(es) and coworkers have. You can't control how other people act, but you can determine how you interact with them. I hope this job works out much better for you than the last one.

Reactions: 5 users